Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it not the case that the ref is the ONLY person to call a player back onto the pitch (not the linesman). You see players wait every week to get the signal from the ref to come back on. Sidibe walked back onto the pitch after play had re-started. The ref was right, not you.

Also, the ref can book a player for going off the pitch without his permission, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

Correct, I've been sent off for going to change my boots on the touchline without permission.

FFS.

I have absolutely no interest in football other than Everton these days. Do they get as many decisions wrong in other games? The Spurs game earlier this season was a catalogue of errors too. It just seems like they're so inconsistent with the application of VAR.
It's been controversial in about 50%-60% of games in my experience...and I might be a bit too conservative there.

Season 2019-20 has been an experiment that went wrong.

VAR was always going to come in irrespective of the standard of refereeing at the time. It's an advancement in technology which allows officials to decide with 100% accuracy on things like offsides, did the ball cross the line etc which wouldn't have been possible without it as the human eye simply can't see.

The reality is that, with a decision like yesterday, if that goes in our favour then United fans would be upset and they would be arguing the finer points of the rules associated with 'interfering with play'. There can be no system which is 100% accurate on everything. Somebody is ALWAYS going to be aggrieved somewhere. It's a fact of the game, sometimes it goes for you and others it goes against you. I don't disagree with you that the standard of reffing could be improved but I don't think it's too far off where it needs to be.

When you assess how VAR has performed this season, we've not been disproportionately hard done by, certainly not by comparison.

It is, at least, a relief to hear you don't believe the refs are bent as was so often put forth yesterday.

The point is, VAR was brought in to correct any clear and obvious error. The ref said it was a goal, the fact that it's so ambiguous means it shouldn't be overturned. You can't say 100% De Gea's vision was impacted by Gylfi.

The point is, VAR was brought in to correct any clear and obvious error. The ref said it was a goal, the fact that it's so ambiguous means it shouldn't be overturned. You can't say 100% De Gea's vision was impacted by Gylfi.

And you can't say 100% that it wasn't. None of us can.

What I'm saying is that Gylfi became active when he moved. The ball was hitting him before he moved his legs. He went from inactive to active, therefore he's offside.

The ref didn't give a goal, he was walking over to his lino to consult with him before he made a decision and before it was even referred it to VAR, which 99% of goals are nowadays anyway.

What I'm saying is that Gylfi became active when he moved. The ball was hitting him before he moved his legs. He went from inactive to active, therefore he's offside.

The ref didn't give a goal, he was walking over to his lino to consult with him before he made a decision and before it was even referred it to VAR, which 99% of goals are nowadays anyway.

Not according to the laws of the game.

Kinell I agree wtf is going on with me.

It was, as determined by three experienced officials.

Firstly: The explanation given was the line of vision violation I have highlighted below. I do not think Sigurdsson did this, your mileage may vary.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Secondly: Him moving has nothing to do with him being active. I refer you again to the law as written.

Finally, your head won't fall off if you admit to being mistaken every so often. It doesn't hurt.

That VAR decision was taken way too quickly. It was a thorny issue and it required a few minutes deliberation. I'd say that the decision to disallow the goal was taken about 90 seconds to 2 minutes after the goal was awarded. We've seen decisions drag on for 3/4 minutes in the past. And this one was a crucial one at the end of the game, which also meant it wasn't going to affect the flow of the match thereafter, so they should have taken their time in any case.

I was amazed at the speed of that process yesterday.
It underlines that this season is a complete rite off in the PL. It's been a calamity which has made a nonsense out of the season.

Quicker than that even.
I make it 78 seconds between the ball hitting the back of the net and the VAR decision being made public.
That 78 seconds includes the time the ref took to consult his linesman before calling for a VAR review :rant: :rant: :rant:

Genuine question-
Am I right to think that the ref request a VAR review (after consulting his linesman), or did the VAR people 'recommend' to the ref that the decision should be reviewed?

Mate, Dele Alli actually punched a corner away and this biff came on here and said it wasn’t a penalty because it didn’t stop a goal.

That's not what I said lol

I said four key things as to why i didn't think it was a penalty.

1. The ball didn't change drastically change direction, so it didn't prevent a goalscoring opportunity in any way. It's not like we had someone sliding in at the back stick to tap it in without it.
2. No advantage was gained by Spurs from his hand having touched it. It didn't divert it away from a blue shirt and it wasn't used to divert a goal-bound shot away. If anything, it diverted it away from Sanchez and into Richarlison's path..
3. Alli was jumping in mid-air and jostling during a header, he wasn't looking at the ball, therefore it wasn't deliberate.
4. Not a single Everton player claimed for it. Nobody even spotted it. If not for VAR, I'm certain nobody would have even noticed it.

You disagreed, that's fine. I'm sure it will happen again in future lol

The pitch side monitor has been used for about 60% of decisions in world football. We are the only league that don’t use it regularly. That makes no sense.

Firstly: The explanation given was the line of vision violation I have highlighted below. I do not think Sigurdsson did this, your mileage may vary.

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
Secondly: Him moving has nothing to do with him being active. I refer you again to the law as written.

Finally, your head won't fall off if you admit to being mistaken every so often. It doesn't hurt.
He seems to go in favour of the opposition for every contentious decision that goes against us. He doesn’t have much positive to say about anyone or anything associated with our great club in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.