Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant say its gone with only 3 points in it, granted theres a lot of teams to take over, but we need to go to Chelsea and then host the vermin and beat them both.

No chance - we had our chance against a poor Arsenal and Utd side and blew it.

Wolves have gone away and beaten Spurs we just are not good enough at present.

Midfield and wide options are poor

That's not the view that matters... Once it hits maguire, Sigurdson is no longer offside unless he touches the ball (or he physically blocks DeGea from saving the ball)...
The only time Sigurdson could have been ruled offside is if he was obstructing DeGea's view when DCL shoots... Which if you've seen that view, he clearly doesn't...

Can an own goal even be offside?

I think there's a bit of a misconception here over whether Maguire touching the ball resets the offside. It doesn't.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage. "

Basically IFAB define deliberately in this sense as playing the ball, kicking the ball etc etc, whereas a deflection where the ball hits an opponent who was not attempting to play it doesn't change the offside. Common sense really in the difference between a deliberate play and a deflection. I'm pretty sure it was a deflection off Maguire, he didn't deliberately backheeel the ball into his own goal.

Everton's on the up and up! Big Carlo offering the ref out is great to see. We finally have a manager with a backbone and the togetherness seems there. DCL having a cracking game and deserved that second goal, shame. It might not come together this season, but we're gonna be some team in the not too distant future.

Good performance from the Blues today and can count ourselves unlucky with the VAR decision - kept going to the end.

We're definitely getting better and closer as the weeks under Carlo pass.

79C8E7C9-3EDD-471F-AB69-261C40488EE2.jpeg

Felt the goal should have stood but I'll be honest, and confess, that I have no idea of the rules when it comes to offside and interfering with play. I thought I did, but no.

Giving Michael Keane MotM. Thought he put in a decent enough performance today.

What I struggle with is this fact. The VAR decision was made pretty quick, by their standards. So that would indicate that they thought it was cut and dried offside.

But 3 hours later, press, pundits and us on here, (and elsewhere), are still arguing the toss, and the PL reason for the decision being correct has been widely laughed at.

So either press pundits and us on here are thick and dont know the rules, (likely, granted), or someone has dropped a belter of a bollock.

Just got back.

DCL MOTM. Baines a close second. Great to see Gomes back.

Weird thing for me with the last minute goal, is that Gylfi is obviously in an offside position, but the ref didn’t give it, he went and spoke to the linesman who didn’t give it, when they both must have known he was in an offside position, but judged him as not interfering with play.

Instead they’ve been let themselves overruled by the VAR bellend.

Around me, the goal was only half celebrated, as we saw the Utd players moaning, so everyone guessed VAR would stitch us up.

Spontaneous celebration of a goal is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.