Everton v Lille/Porto Sat/Sun 21/22 July 8pm KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
if we get mina, tierney/digne and richarlison i think we are only really missing a creative midfielder to actually have a decent first XI capable of making a challenge for the top 6
We have plenty of creative midfielders, we need someone that can win the ball and move it properly from back to front either by pass or dribble with speed and strength. A true box to box player.

But yes, it was disturbing to see how we simply couldn't deal with pressure. Then again, our team on the pitch isn't the best to deal with it. Baines is washed up, won't go forward, Keane/Jags cannot pass the ball, Davies doesn't take care of the ball well enough, and Morgan - although he did better later - is also not going to step into the gaps and move the ball forwards with any initiative.

I would obviously be happy for both to leave. But if I'm Silva and only feel I can move on one of Vlasic and Sandro then it's probably Vlasic I would loan out. He just doesn't have the physical presence and can't cope at this level.

Mate sandro couldn’t score in a 22-0 win

Not worried as the games have not identified any new issues.
The problems are the same as the last 2 years....
Absolute bobbins defending.

Need THREE centre halves as we do not have one decent one.
The ones we have are championship players at best.
Also, need to replace Leighton.

Then we can worry about lack of creativity and finishing.

See. Nothing new.

I love these preseason friendlies, where we get to see our new signings and see how they will fit into the team.

Not saying he was but surely he's gotta work out how we can actually score goals from open play and after the 65 min mark it was clear something needed changing. If he can't do that in pre season then what chance has he got when the season starts. Winning breeds confidence. He's already stated he already has knows what the players are capable of so he needs to work out a winning system.
Or. Maybe he is trying to intriduce a new system to the players and thought that was more important than the result.

Same old, same old even if it is only pre-season. When you can't score you'll eventually get hit on the break. Failure to score just increases pressure throughout the side. Chances were created and not put away. Sandro obviously isn't good enough, my gran could shoot harder than the young lad and I'm not even sure if Tosun will make the grade in top flight football. Still if we get Walcott and Sigurdsson back and Richarlison signs perhaps we'll not need any of the three aforementioned.

Do people really think we played so bad? Alright 2nd half we did nothing but first half I thought we were decent, I seen signs of improvement from Koeman and BFS and something to build off. Alright we didn't score against Lille/Porto but maybe Sandro scores that one on one on a different day maybe Tosun hits the post and goes in, Do we need improving? Of course mostly CB area looked poor. I'm not one to care for results in pre season cause they mean nothing but I don't think our performances have been that bad.

Do people really think we played so bad? Alright 2nd half we did nothing but first half I thought we were decent, I seen signs of improvement from Koeman and BFS and something to build off. Alright we didn't score against Lille/Porto but maybe Sandro scores that one on one on a different day maybe Tosun hits the post and goes in, Do we need improving? Of course mostly CB area looked poor. I'm not one to care for results in pre season cause they mean nothing but I don't think our performances have been that bad.
Tbf we did score against Lille, and it was wrongly ruled offside.

No we weren't that bad, quite good at times I thought but if you can't score it will usually go tits up somewhere along the line. The goalscoring situation has to be adressed first and foremost for it is at the root of all of the problems..

Genuinely concerning lack of footballing intelligence throughout our squad right now. Hard work and effort is utterly ineffective when we can't string 2 passes together.

- Stupid lofted passes... scrap that, all passes that leave the ground take 3 times longer to control while angles and options disappear
- Pointless passing triangles out wide while the opposition stroll back into their own box to see off a cross that is probably never going to arrive
- Goalkeepers: Throw...the ball...out...early
- Even our throw ins are second rate, it's just Baines stood there for 30 seconds while everyone stands there marked? are you serious?

Just got back from 5 days in Portugal, lovely place the Algarve, my memory of the games is a little hazy after all the ale we had but it wasn't the best from what I can remember.

Yeah mate I was quite pleased with our performances over the 2 games in fairness. There were positives to be taken out of both games, both of which I thought we were the better team. There were the usual poor performances from those that we've come to expect, but we already know there are about 15+ deadwood players we need to move on.

Firstly, there are two things we need to take account of. Both teams are a number of levels above anything we faced in pre-season last term apart from the Sevilla friendly.. Also we were without the likes of Lookman, Walcott, Siggy, Gueye and Pickford, plus we also know that we're looking to bring in 4/5 first XI starters before the season commences, and that's practically a team in itself.

Of the positives, I thought Sandro looked better in both games than anything I've seen before for Everton, and for the first time showed like he could actually be a useful squad player for us. Also, both young full backs, Robinson and Kenny, looked lively, Besic looked as good as I've seen him in 3 years, and Schneids looks like he gives a damn again. Dowell was a parody of himself, missing for large parts of the game, but creative and dangerous whenever he got involved. It's a big job for Silva this season to try and get the lad involved more often because there's no doubt he has the ability to make things happen.

I would have liked to have seen more of Holgate and I'm guessing that Silva used the time to run the rule over the other defenders, who I believe are more at risk of getting the chop. Saw nothing of DCL or Benni either which was disappointing. Maybe a decision has already been made to send him out on loan, especially as Schneids and Besic are looking more up for it this season.

The most pleasing thing though is that, after the dross that was served up last year, we are looking to play football again and thought we dominated the first game with our third string, and also the first half of the Porto game with what is basically going to be our second string bar a couple of players.

Keane at the back though. He has to go if we're to play a high line this season.

No dramas? You’re crying about”nothing has changed” following a friendly with a manager in his3rd “competitive “ game with a mixed team....you are being dramatic

So, that’s our fourth game together and many of our problems of past seasons still look there from what I saw.. My original post spoke about giving the new manager time but there was and is no quick fix based on what squad he has inherited and the lack of identity seen over the past years. I ain’t over reacting or ‘crying’, seen us for too many years to believe in miracles and that in six weeks there’ll be a transformation in our ability to consistently win football managers.

Maybe a lot has changed and I’m wrong, but one my way back from that tonight not many in are talking of any noticeable progress, too early for that perhaps? I agree. There is still major reconstruction required in our personnel in defence and the speed of our decision making when we have the ball will have to improve. Without the ball, there are basic requirements of closing down space and winning individual battles that has to be done on a more consistent basis...no doubt food for thought for the new manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.