Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of times daka got through our defence and was alone in the box was embarrassing
Let’s be honest, everything about Everton’s performance was embarrassing. Even picking a man of the match was about who was the best of a pretty useless squad. Pathetic by most of them and that includes Frank and his team of coaches, Frank changed the players but not the plans, if there was any plan to begin with!!

We don’t have anyone with the individual quality to score that Tielemans goal, Leicester have him, Maddison, Barnes

Our defence and keeper are sound. Our midfield is better than it was by a long long way. Our attack is non-existent.
Absolutely 100% correct!
Tielmans, Maddison and Barnes are a different class to anything we have on the pitch, particularly going forward!
The midfield is better than it was, but we still give up possession/give the ball away in the wrong areas of the pitch far too often - I suspect more than any other team in the division!
As for the “attack” it’s awful - it would struggle in the championship!

I'm not even sure if it was tactical or just bad play. Onana looked absolutely lost out there and let Tielemans run the game. Gueye and Onana both lost their personal battles and Garner didnt do much better. All 3 of them constantly played negative square passes to Leicester players.
It was tactical, because they were doing it all game. I think Lampard wanted to focus on getting Leicester caught in midfield - which worked to an extent as Soumare is so slow on the ball. But on the flip side it left us with nobody to find in build up.

Yes, the players were bad with the passing but if you look at it Tim there was always about 15-20 yards between the midfielders, which is ludicrous. That means any pass forward has to be perfectly precise, so of course players will try to keep the ball and play safe, which in turn allowed Leicester to press.

It was bad from the players and manager, who then failed to change the structure in the second half.

I thought the biggest problem we had was self inflicted by not putting a man on maddison. Everything went through him but we didn't attempt to mark him out the game we seemed to just let him do what he wanted. Poor tactics all round from both the management and players not to try and counter his threat.

I had a bad feeling about this when we stood off them so much from the off and it annoyed the life out of me especially being under the lights at the Old Lady. Tarks and Coady looked totally bewildered at times.... half assed swing and hope clearances, standing there like ones o' Lewis's in the box like tailors dummies. Gray is a talented player as we know, but he's also like balsa wood and easily shut out on the ball. Very disappointed...strong liquor in hand and on the agenda for the rest of the night to get the taste of that away.
tttally agree with the lack of go for it at goodison. Everton play best on front foot at home. the past 5 managers have failed to take this on board unless its do or die.

it shouldn't come to do or die. win your home games against average opposition and the do or die games at end of season just are not there

Does it bother you?
Unbelievable isn’t it!
I genuinely cannot get my head around the fact that a supposed Newcastle supporter would take the time to go on another teams forum and continually have a dig - wonder if it’s just us, or has he signed up to another eighteen forums as well?
Obviously has nothing better to do on a Saturday night!

Was talking with the lads sat next to us in the second half and a few things stood out.

1) Garner looked ready to start a few matches. Nothing to lose by giving him the nod ahead of either Gana or Onana in the next game.

2) Iwobi looked industrious but the lack of movement ahead and to either side did limit his impact.

3) Mykolenko has an engine. Lost track of the number of times he covered 60 yards at pace to either overlap and offer an option going forward or to fly back and help snuff out a counterattack when we gave the ball away around their box.

4) McNeil and Gray were both well contained by Leicester's fullbacks. We really could use a new wide attacker who can take players on at pace.

5) set piece delivery was poor.
Apart from all that hope you enjoyed the match and your time in Liverpool!

Unbelievable isn’t it!
I genuinely cannot get my head around the fact that a supposed Newcastle supporter would take the time to go on another teams forum and continually have a dig - wonder if it’s just us, or has he signed up to another eighteen forums as well?
Obviously has nothing better to do on a Saturday night!
Agreed. If I found myself doing that I would seek help

It was tactical, because they were doing it all game. I think Lampard wanted to focus on getting Leicester caught in midfield - which worked to an extent as Soumare is so slow on the ball. But on the flip side it left us with nobody to find in build up.

Yes, the players were bad with the passing but if you look at it Tim there was always about 15-20 yards between the midfielders, which is ludicrous. That means any pass forward has to be perfectly precise, so of course players will try to keep the ball and play safe, which in turn allowed Leicester to press.

It was bad from the players and manager, who then failed to change the structure in the second half.
Our players still couldn't get the ball off the short (fat) arse though!

That was an embarrassing performance. Not one of them deserved a motm.
Pickford messing about at the back with the ball and gifting it to them more than once.
Mykolenko keeps getting pulled inside leaving acres of space behind him.
Coleman, Coady and Tarkowski largely blameless
Iwobi tried but was anonymous
McNeil was OKish
Onana strolls between phases of play. Needs to get stuck in and win the ball back more.
Gana put in a couple of tackles as ever but was a passenger otherwise
Gray anonymous
Calvert-Lewin didn't do enough running off the ball. It's surely part of his job to stretch defences to give the midfield options and to create space. The reason we passed it around at the back so much was there nobody showing for the ball when we had it.
Anthony Gordon and Maupay are stealing a living atm. Came on, fresh legs.... a great opportunity to pull defenders out of position, chase the ball down and inject energy. Instead they walked about watching the game unfold before their eyes. Poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.