Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy!

Leicester fan here who was idly browsing your forum to ascertain your thoughts for the game, and thought I'd post my two cents' worth.

Firstly, despite what practically every pundit says, and consequently many rival fans pick up on, we are far from a counter attacking side these days. We still have the ability to do so in games that suit that style, such as earlier in the season against Leeds. We're actually fairly possession based for the majority of games and are something like 8th highest in the league for possession stats. I imagine that will increase with Vardy's injury as Perez, his likely replacement, is hardly the 'in behind' forward that Vardy is.

As for the game itself, I'm not overly confident. We're on a fantastic run, but, as proven earlier in the season, you're the exact kind of side that we don't like playing against with DCL's physical threat and Rodriquez's mastery, and I fully expect at least one goal from a corner to be conceded given our awful record. I think our best chance is to nick the first goal and utilise Barnes as you chase the game. As one poster mentions above with you guys, we are equally imperious when in front. I think we've won every game in which we've taken the lead this season.

I'm not entirely sure how Vardy's absence will affect us. The past few weeks has seen far more goals from midfield than in recent seasons with Barnes, Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison all contributing, but he's so integral as to how we play. I would hope that your lost of Doucore and Allan will be beneficial also.

As to the season, it is pleasing to see ourselves, Everton, Villa and Southampton really pushing the 'top teams'. I fully expect you to be challenging for a top 6 place, and perhaps even top 4. Even given their recent struggles, I can't see past Liverpool and the Manchester clubs forming the top 3, but I think 4th place is very much up for grabs and will likely be between our two clubs and Spurs. Though, there may be an outsider like West Ham also.

Finally, I would like to make clear that I remain embarrassed for the small section of fans that sang pro Tory crap a season or two ago. They do not represent the club and are just like any clubs' bunch of idiots who will say any old thing to agitate the opposition supporters I guess. Our city has been Labour for a long time, even with one of the worst politicians in recent memory (quite a competition) serving as MP until recently. The fact that some football fans seem to think that Tories represent working class football supporters in any way is farcical.
Good balanced post mate, I think Doucoure missing from Everton’s very weak midfield more than evens your loss of Vardy, I think it will be a hard tussle with a draw or a one goal win at the end of the game, hopefully for me Everton.

Pickford

Holgate
- Keane - Mina - Godfrey

Sigurdsson
- Davies - Gomes

James
- DCL - Richarlison

Concerned about the CM situation. Without Allan and/or Doucoure we suddenly look a lot weaker with no other real alternative. Think we need to try and keep it tight for around an hour or so then start thinking about introducing the likes of Digne, Iwobi & Coleman if we need to.

I’d stick either Holgate or Godfrey in midfield for legs, have them and Davies sitting and then have James Richy Iwobi feeding DCL, we can’t play Gomes Davies and Sigurdson, their midfield is one of the best in the league, we will lose the game in the middle of the park if we do that in my opinion

if Digne was fit, think i would still play Godfrey, just to continue the settled defense

duno, its a hard one, he obviously doesnt offer anything going forward. but can sweep up at pace.

tough one.

not saying Digne is the worse of the two, not by a long shot. just considering the pace of the foxes and overall fitness levels.

would want to be the one to pick our first 11, many tough calls

I think he will play Digne ahead of Godfrey then one of Richarlison/Iwobi...not what I’d necessarily do but think it’s what Carlo might go for.

Pickford

Holgate Mina Keane Godfrey

Richy Davies Gomes Digne

James
DCL

That centre midfield without Allan or Doucoure is grim mind...

The back 5 have been solid when playing recently so i dont think we should break that up.

My only real concern is the centre midfield as only Davies can chase/harry players.

I think we will need a little bit more to break Leicester down. I want Godfrey in the team so would mve him to DM as we need someone with discipline in there with Allan and Doucoure missing. With Vardy not playing I'm comfortable with Keane and Mina in the middle. Holgate at right back as Coleman played full game last night so will need rested. Personally I would play Gomes instead of Sigurdsson but I imagine Ancelotti will have other thoughts and I'll cede to him on that one. The attacking 3 pick themselves. Iwobi is a little unlucky missing out but will be a useful sub to bring on.

Tricky this one as both our best central midfielders are out, so a bit of tinkering I reckon.
Digne should come back in and play in front of Godfrey like he did at Wolves.

Iwobi will probably come in on the right hand side and allow Rodriguez to go central with Davies probably with Gomes or Gylfi on the bench if Allen is definitely out.

Keane back in with either Holgate going to RB or back to the bench, I’d play him at RB and leave Coleman on the bench.

thinking something like...

Holgate/Coleman...Keane..Mina...Godfrey
...........................Davies.........................
Iwobi............Rodriguez.................,,,,Digne
...................DCL............Richarlison

Pickford

Holgate - Keane - Mina - Godfrey

Sigurdsson
- Davies - Gomes

James
- DCL - Richarlison

Concerned about the CM situation. Without Allan and/or Doucoure we suddenly look a lot weaker with no other real alternative. Think we need to try and keep it tight for around an hour or so then start thinking about introducing the likes of Digne, Iwobi & Coleman if we need to.
I think we’ll likely start Iwobi, as his workrate will be really important in this game, especially as I expect the defence will need a lot more cover than usual given our weakness in midfield for this game

Howdy!

Leicester fan here who was idly browsing your forum to ascertain your thoughts for the game, and thought I'd post my two cents' worth.

Firstly, despite what practically every pundit says, and consequently many rival fans pick up on, we are far from a counter attacking side these days. We still have the ability to do so in games that suit that style, such as earlier in the season against Leeds. We're actually fairly possession based for the majority of games and are something like 8th highest in the league for possession stats. I imagine that will increase with Vardy's injury as Perez, his likely replacement, is hardly the 'in behind' forward that Vardy is.

As for the game itself, I'm not overly confident. We're on a fantastic run, but, as proven earlier in the season, you're the exact kind of side that we don't like playing against with DCL's physical threat and Rodriquez's mastery, and I fully expect at least one goal from a corner to be conceded given our awful record. I think our best chance is to nick the first goal and utilise Barnes as you chase the game. As one poster mentions above with you guys, we are equally imperious when in front. I think we've won every game in which we've taken the lead this season.

I'm not entirely sure how Vardy's absence will affect us. The past few weeks has seen far more goals from midfield than in recent seasons with Barnes, Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison all contributing, but he's so integral as to how we play. I would hope that your lost of Doucore and Allan will be beneficial also.

As to the season, it is pleasing to see ourselves, Everton, Villa and Southampton really pushing the 'top teams'. I fully expect you to be challenging for a top 6 place, and perhaps even top 4. Even given their recent struggles, I can't see past Liverpool and the Manchester clubs forming the top 3, but I think 4th place is very much up for grabs and will likely be between our two clubs and Spurs. Though, there may be an outsider like West Ham also.

Finally, I would like to make clear that I remain embarrassed for the small section of fans that sang pro Tory crap a season or two ago. They do not represent the club and are just like any clubs' bunch of idiots who will say any old thing to agitate the opposition supporters I guess. Our city has been Labour for a long time, even with one of the worst politicians in recent memory (quite a competition) serving as MP until recently. The fact that some football fans seem to think that Tories represent working class football supporters in any way is farcical.

Hello Cambiasso's Bald Head and thanks for posting.

It will be a tough game for sure on Wednesday, nip and tuck, tight right to the end, only the brave of the brave will win in a game of very few chances.

Everton 25-0 Leicester
Rodriguez with 10 goals and 15 assists.

Ancelotti has won 2 of 2 over Brenda with his tactics. Fancy us to win well tbh and that's never a good thing.

Digne on the left and Richarlison on the right maybe a shout, would love to see Iwobi in the middle with Davies but probably not the game to be trying it. He's a good footballer Iwobi i think he could really give the legs in the middle.

Pickford

Sigurdsson
- Davies - Gomes

James
- DCL - Richarlison

Jesus that midfield

Pickford

Sigurdsson
- Davies - Gomes

James
- DCL - Richarlison

I think it'll be something a bit more defensive.

Pickford
Godfrey Keane Mina Digne
Davies Gomes
Iwobi James Richarlison
DCL

Richarlison and Iwobi being a bit more defensive and James and DCL trying to make things happen up the field.

I very much worry about the two in midfield though, undeniably weak, which is why he will be play the more defensive back 4 than last night.

I’d stick either Holgate or Godfrey in midfield for legs, have them and Davies sitting and then have James Richy Iwobi feeding DCL, we can’t play Gomes Davies and Sigurdson, their midfield is one of the best in the league, we will lose the game in the middle of the park if we do that in my opinion
It feels like everyone has forgotten how well Holgate played in midfield at Old Trafford last season. I think he’s exactly what we need there in the absence of Allan and Doucouré.

Doesn’t seem to be a popular opinion, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.