Match Thread Everton v Cardiff City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Lookman is fit I think him for Walcott should be the only change. We’ll need all the creativity we can get to break down Cardiff so Bernard for me has to play.

Pace upfront against these. Big slow grocks at the back they have so they'll love tosun playing over someone with pace
I'm thinking the exact opposite to this. I reckon Cardiff will come and park the bus and will defend very deep, making it very difficult for Richarlison and Walcott to use their pace and find space in behind.

Tosun is the attacker best suited to playing up top for me (in this game). He is by far the best of our strikers playing with his back to goal and bringing others into play. My only concern with this is the attitude and form he showed in the midweek friendly against the Africans. Maybe he approached it as a friendly (which it was) but I expected him to take the opportunity to show Silva what he can do, and he didn't. Nevertheless, I would still start with him for this game and hope he gives the same sort of performance he was showing at the start of the season.

I'd actually rest Walcott for this game. Not because of his form, which hasn't been great tbh, but because his pace will be somewhat neutralised by Cardiff's tactics. Also he's played every game this season so resting him before the derby will hopefully see him raring to go at Anfield.

I'd move Richarlison back to the left hand side, which I think is still his best position. His running at players from deep will cause Cardiff no end of problems. The remaining 3 positions in front of Gana Geuye will depend on the fitness levels of the 3 injury doubts. Hopefully we will be able to start with 3 out of Siggy, Gomes, Bernard and Lookman, and whichever combination we play should have more than enough trickery and guile to break down a stubborn Cardiff defence.

At the back I'd probably continue with Mina and Keane as I expect Cardiff's main threat to come from set pieces. I'd definitely consider bringing back Zouma for the derby though.

I understand those on here saying that where possible we should be playing our strongest XI, and I agree with that to a large extent. But within that I also think that some players suit certain games better than others. I also believe that we have 14/15 players of real quality within our squad, and we should be able to interchange those players without disrupting the effectiveness of the starting XI too much.

3-0 to the blues. Hopefully Tosun bags one and Mina too on his home debut in front of the GS.;)

Paul Tierney officiated 7 PL matches so far this season, 3 of them involved RS. None of ours. (They won comfortably and had favourable calls)

He officiated one Everton match last season, it was us losing 1-3 at home vs Man City.

Status
Not open for further replies.