Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some stats a few days ago about James, can’t remember where. Number 10 is his best position According to that, I think possibly why he likes Carlo. Believes in him, plays him in his favourite position and so on.

Carlo utilized him more as a right midfielder when they were together at Real Madrid. He was very effective there, too.

We need striker cover.

Deeney for a season?

oh_you_zoolander.gif

I was reading some stats a few days ago about James, can’t remember where. Number 10 is his best position According to that, I think possibly why he likes Carlo. Believes in him, plays him in his favourite position and so on.
It’s a ideal position for him, his attacking movement is something that doesn’t get mentioned a lot but is always very intelligent - also there’s the fact he has an unbelievable left boot, and he will get more shooting opportunities from that position

I just think it’s impossible to comment on those things with any insight. It’s very difficult to say whether there’s anything remarkable about that group of youngsters, a couple of years ago we’d have people saying the same about lookman and vlasic etc, before that Dowell, Walsh, Ledson, Baningime, Galloway, Garbutt etc etc were all supposed to be coming through. None of them did.

Same with the leadership/pedigree thing. We’ve had loads of theoretical leaders recently but they’ve made no difference and everyone’s then decided that they don’t count anymore. Surely the french, Brazilian, English internationals we have in abundance have pedigree? I’m not having a go like, I just think people often over complicate what is actually fairly simple. We have been lacking genuine quality, and that’s why we don’t do very well. Hopefully the new signings go some way to addressing that.

But surely its all subjective mate. Young players, transfers in. They could all fail, the transfers this week could prove rubbish. That just the simple balance of probability.

Im not sure we should stop trying to pick the best youngsters, have a tethered age recruitment hierarchy or be hopeful in that, nor should we not back our judgement on players, I’m utterly convinced all bar Tyler will make it, you mentioned we would be lucky to get half a dozen games from them, they’ve almost all given that all ready in their careers. If I’m honest I only ever thought Dowell would make it and I think we should of held onto Lookman myself. Off the players you mention who didn’t come through you don’t mention the ones that did, Davies, Kenny, DCL and Holgate - that’s a wonderful return from our academy - via a bit of youth recruitment. The lads I mentioned are now where these lads were three years ago.

Equally with transfers, it depends how you define pedigree, is being a PL footballer pedigree, how would you compare say Iwobi Vs James in terms of pedigree, equally with leadership and an ability to grab and impact a game by the scruff of the neck in adverse circumstances.

I personally disagree with you on leadership. I started a thread on here about 3/4 years ago called Everton cowards after getting stuffed by Burnley, I said that day there was zero leadership in the team, nothing has changed my mind since, theroretical or media leadership is fine, if you are suckered into believing it, we have had zero leadership for years despite any media profile.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.