Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
You talk about value but I just don't see it being valuable for us to sign these guys now when our chances of competing aren't now. That's really what it comes down to. If we had 60 points last season and a settle manager and squad then it is a different equation. But we need to build a core and that can happen if the guys aren't lasting long.

Plus I think you're missing the point with someone like Giroud. We aren't Chelsea and can't think like them.

Ah now you are reversing out of your initial point, you said earlier what teams competing for success sign older players and we had to be like them, you’ve been given a few, now you are saying we can’t think like successful clubs, your contradicting yourself now mate.

Im not sure it matters on points or posititions, if we are 12th this year and 5th next, surely that’s relative success and progress if enabled by older profiled players or they made a significant contribution. The revenue itself is attractive.

I agree though we are looking for a core of younger players definitely, we have a lot though, the average age of the squad has been turned out massively in a short space of time. Yet what attributes are we missing, expierence, leadership, game management....... not always attributes associated with young players.

honestly not sure why we aren't in for Buendia, Ticks all the boxes.
RM.
Creative.
PL proven and a decent price at 20m.

I would prefer we just sign a Buendia type ourselves at a low fee so we didn't have to keep reverting to buying off fellow English teams but not sure if we can take a risk on a position that is in dire need of help.

Hopefully eventually. There is a correlation, but it’s not absolute @catcherintherye was making the point the other day, in a lot of ways you won’t be competitive trying to find value where everyone else is, for the reason you mention. Things can be done differently, Leicester are an example, Mordor to go left field, even Sheff Utd and Burnley to an extent pound for pound confound the logic.

I often think of Spurs from 00s to the Appex of the CL final, 10 -15 years to get to the CL, buy young sell high, reinvest climbing rung after rung - appexing last year. Perhaps that’s the way, but I’m not convinced. I actually think Spurs lucked out with Poch if I’m honest. Mad letting him go.
Very few teams are going all in on young talents. Especially top teams. We would be one of the higher profile clubs to do it.

RM.
Creative.

I would prefer we just sign a Buendia type ourselves at a low fee so we didn't have to keep reverting to buying off fellow English teams but not sure if we can take a risk on a position that is in dire need of help.

Looks a decent little player

Wouldn't go as far as to say he's pl proven at this stage though, given he's had one year finished rock bottom and scored a single goal.

Ah now you are reversing out of your initial point, you said earlier what teams competing for success sign older players and we had to be like them, you’ve been given a few, now you are saying we can’t think like successful clubs, your contradicting yourself now mate.

Im not sure it matters on points or posititions, if we are 12th this year and 5th next, surely that’s relative success and progress if enabled by older profiled players or they made a significant contribution. The revenue itself is attractive.

I agree though we are looking for a core of younger players definitely, we have a lot though, the average age of the squad has been turned out massively in a short space of time. Yet what attributes are we missing, expierence, leadership, game management....... not always attributes associated with young players.
You know as well as I do that none of the current CL teams are building their cores out of older players even if they do occasionally accent the squad with them. We wouldn't be doing that with Willian or Allan.

I'm not trying to be confusing here so let me be clear we shouldn't be looking at any big 6 side for guidance right now.

Our money is not that limited...

Well Leicester won the league after signing Robert Huth (30), Christian Fuchs (29), Gokhan Inler (31) and Shinji Okazaki (29). You also had a 33 year old Marcin Wasilewski and a 28 year old Leandro Ulloa signed the season before. They even got a solid back up goalie in 42 year old Mark Schwarzer.

They key is to signing good players who work in your system, nothing else.

Besides you are making out like I am saying that we should sign all the old players again, you know I am not saying that at all. One or two in the right circumstances is totally fine.
Ansolutely smashed it this post...well in.

RM.
Creative.

Would be a good signing

Using the biggest outlier in the last 30 years to prove your point actually does quite the opposite.

How does it? You asked me for an example, I gave it.

Obviously winning the league was not in their plan but they used it to push on, sold some of their better players and reinvested the money made in the short term from additional league placing money, and being in Europe to the point where they are now a solid premier league side as opposed to a yo-yo club.

Again though you are acting like I am saying we must sign all the aging players, I am not saying that at all. If you get everything else right by having a good core of younger players and some in their peak then you can afford to bring in an elder player for a short term boost. Ibrahimovic was another one who came in and did a good job for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.