Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil McNulty writing a scathing article on BBC (with words from Ratcliffe) on what Carlo needs to do and the mismanagement that took place last few years...

Tough but accurate! Ratcliffe really climbing in too.

bottom line. Overhaul required

No doubt that there's a lot of truth in that article, but I think Ratcliffe is overly harsh with the 'Everton have no great players'.

We have a lot of problems, but we still have 2 great players in Richarlison and Digne I would say.

To be honest I've never seen Ratcliffe have a good word to say about the club whenever hes on either commentary or writing an article.

He comes across as an ex pro who is very bitter that he finished his career just before the mega money came in and missed out.

I know there's not a lot of positive to say about the club at the moment, but it does wind me up that every Liverpool article you read is some ex player blowing smoke up their arse without a bad word to say, whereas even an ex Everton legend can't wait to put the boot into the club when it comes to us.

I’ll take a shot at what I think we could get in todays market. You forgot Branthwaite too.

Lucas Digne - £50m
Yerry Mina - £20m
Richarlison - £80m
Fabian Delph - £5m
Andre Gomes - £15m
Jean-Phillipe Gbamin - £10m
Moise Kean - £25m
Alex Iwobi - £10m
Bernard - £10m
Lossl - £3m
Branthwaite - £3m

Total - £231m...Inflated by Digne and Rich but not a bad overall return. Iwobi is the killer.

This is true, but this sell on strategy is only possible if you're like recent Ajax or Dortmund - that you have a process for developing, selling and bringing on new players into the first team. I know Dortmund are far away from the title in Germany now, but they maintain that level consistently, and don't drop. Arsenal tried it but then they were dropping down

I really thought Brands was going to work on this kind of strategy...Richarlison and Digne are one-offs, but we were supposed to have a good cycle of players coming through under his ideas. (at least now, 3 years on, we should be seeing signs of that , no?)

It is articles like this, very scathing on the club and the mis management for years that i applaud, so the frauds within the club know that the word is on the streets and know that the club is a mess.
Otherwise we would be led to believe by the club that we need a slight tinkering, when in reality it is an overhaul that is needed.

Yep, fans are often the toughest critics, but our issues are being laid pretty bare.

No doubt that there's a lot of truth in that article, but I think Ratcliffe is overly harsh with the 'Everton have no great players'.

We have a lot of problems, but we still have 2 great players in Richarlison and Digne I would say.

To be honest I've never seen Ratcliffe have a good word to say about the club whenever hes on either commentary or writing an article.

He comes across as an ex pro who is very bitter that he finished his career just before the mega money came in and missed out.

I know there's not a lot of positive to say about the club at the moment, but it does wind me up that every Liverpool article you read is some ex player blowing smoke up their arse without a bad word to say, whereas even an ex Everton legend can't wait to put the boot into the club when it comes to us.

Agree we have 2 that we are proud of and make a massive difference... I add Holgate to that for 3. we then have a lot that are marginally better than the average EPL player and most of them underperformed this season or the set up was just all wrong. Either way the focus on midfield in the article is spot on... no legs.

Agree we have 2 that we are proud of and make a massive difference... I add Holgate to that for 3. we then have a lot that are marginally better than the average EPL player and most of them underperformed this season or the set up was just all wrong. Either way the focus on midfield in the article is spot on... no legs.

Yeah agree with that.

It just seems unnecessarily harsh for a club legend to say we have no great players.

There are plenty of things to bash the club about at the minute, but we do still have 2 (or 3 maybe counting Holgate) great players

From the outside looking in seems like our 2 top targets Hojbjerg & Gabriel are going elsewhere

This is where Brands should earn his money asking as Carlo is happy, bring in some underated players and watch them explode the Prem

This is true, but this sell on strategy is only possible if you're like recent Ajax or Dortmund - that you have a process for developing, selling and bringing on new players into the first team. I know Dortmund are far away from the title in Germany now, but they maintain that level consistently, and don't drop. Arsenal tried it but then they were dropping down

I really thought Brands was going to work on this kind of strategy...Richarlison and Digne are one-offs, but we were supposed to have a good cycle of players coming through under his ideas. (at least now, 3 years on, we should be seeing signs of that , no?)
Everton were banned from signing young players for 18 months. At the first opportunity, Brands signed Branthwaite.
Thdd Ed van ruined the strategy of bringing in youth.

Yeah agree with that.

It just seems unnecessarily harsh for a club legend to say we have no great players.

There are plenty of things to bash the club about at the minute, but we do still have 2 (or 3 maybe counting Holgate) great players

There's something wrong with him. We Welsh are tinged with melancholy but he takes it to extremes. Overall we are not that bad and you'd think an ex-pro would spot that especially seeing what happened in 83/84 where a few seasoned pros turned around a team struggling far worse than ours.

We just had a few disappointing results. I'd rather we start the new season knowing we have to work harder and be better than Silva's end to the one season giving us great hope and then we turn to mush.

From the outside looking in seems like our 2 top targets Hojbjerg & Gabriel are going elsewhere

This is where Brands should earn his money asking as Carlo is happy, bring in some underated players and watch them explode the Prem

How do we know those were our top 2 targets?

I think that almost literally everything written in the media about transfers is total jarg.

Would this strategy even work in the prem, i mean with the massive amount of money? I would love it if it did, bit im doubtful. You can get away with decent youths in holland, how would Davies fair in an ajax shirt for example?

I always get the impression that Ratcliffe is sick of us being crap because he’s a winner and wants us to be the best in the country again. I think he’s similar to when Roy Keane lays into United.
Definitely true that Richarlison and Digne are great players though and we’ve got a few exciting youngsters who could come good too, only positive since restart was Gordon and Branthwaite looking very good and Holgate stepped up his game big time pre covid too this season.

£18m for Watkins is the sort of deal I would be all over.

As would Jamal Lewis for £10m.

Young players with clear ability who will be hungry to establish themselves at this level. We need to get away from signing people solely for the fact we are paying them more. We are far less likely when we sign players who want to play for us so they can play in the premier league and better their career first and foremost.

Grealish is the sort of player we should have been looking at when we are going after Sigurdsson, Klaasen, Rooney etc. We have hamstrung ourselves for several seasons.

Lescott, Jags, Baines, Coleman, Cahill, Arteta. Top players who did not come from this league and did not cost us 5 times the going rate. These sort of transfers should be the backbone of our summer. We should only be shelling out big 30m plus fees on probably one player a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.