Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if that’s the way it’s going to be for a few years. Then Moshiri may as well give the job to Duncan and brought in the youth coaches as his team. And Moshiri’s probably saves 70mil in salaries over the next 4.5 years. And gives us the time to regroup and shift all the old rubbish.

but 2 days before Christmas we got one of the greatest managers in the game, and the best we’ve ever appointed, when all Italian journalists were saying he’s not coming. He’s off to Canada to spend Christmas with his wife and will get plenty of offers in the summer. And FFP was well known.

So I’m not in the camp that we have limited money
This is a massive few years for the club and Moshiri and we need to back this manager or he will be gone in 12months.
If it goes badly wrong then will we attract another top class manager. Or will it be back to the Marco silvas. And the thought of going into the new ground being a relegation outfit.

Ancelotti hasn’t stopped mentioning ambition in his last 4/5 interviews. He’s not here for sell to buy.
The club must find a way to back Him properly.

I get all that, and we will spend. But it will be limited and controlled spending. Anything else isn't borne out in reality, whatever we may wish for.

We should have PP for the stadium, and by extension, funding, confirmed in the next few weeks.

A big part of the pitch to our lenders will be to assure them that the wastage of the last few years will be brought under control.

Covid hasn't helped, but aside from that, the fundamentals of our situation were already well established.

I don't think we would have been stupid enough to provide false assurances to Ancelotti.

We'll spend, but we have to be creative, that's all.

No way can I see Southampton Burnley or Sheffield United spending more net and I can also see Everton probably spending more than both Spurs and Arsenal?

It may be irrational?

But it proper burns my head out the way you finish every sentence with a question mark? lol

This is the point for me, granted nobody has done much yet but that doesn't matter - we need to do more than them anyway just to catch up. And scraping around the floor of the TK Maxx bargain bin for 36 year olds isn't what I had in mind either.
He’s not going to be our only or, marquee, signing Bert

Too short for a CB at 6ft and not fast enough to be a premier league left back.

Hed be a good signing if we had a back 3 and we played him at left centre back i think.

Gabriel is a different creature...hed be up there with Richarlison and Digne.

Didn't think he was too slow from what i've seen of him. However, i felt height of players was a bit of a negative factor for us last year, at time i was waiting for snow white to appear.
Agree completely that Gabriel is the much better scalp.

Big in-depth article from The Esk here which shows why we're unlikely to spend more than 20mil this summer.

He concludes with this statement:

View attachment 96692

Sell to buy lads. Except god knows who would want to spent money on our garbage.

It's always been sell to buy because of our tiny revenue. Capital expenditure isn't actually the problem now, as we've seen with the 'first refusal to sponsor the stadium' deal as innovative ways to get money into the club, the problem is and always will be wages.

Until we have regular European football, or something happens to FFP, we'll always have to shift 2-3 lesser lower paid players to get in 1 big wage player.

So the big earth shattering exclusives this week have been that Brands May sell some big names (O’Keefe) and we have to sell to buy, despite us doing that since pretty much our entire existence (The melt, erm sorry Esk). Groundbreaking stuff here.

What concerns me is we are woeful as a team right now and all the other teams who finished above us will strengthen their teams this summer.
If it is true about the noises coming out of Everton that we will only be making 2/3 signings then next season will be another right off.
Carlo needs to be backed simple, what is the point of him being here when all he is doing is trying to make a team out of the massive mistakes from Walsh/Brands and previous managers
Isn’t that the task that faces most managers?
In fact isn’t the definition of a very good manager the ability to forge a fully functioning team from the disparate parts of the previous regimes coupled with a few judicious additions of his own?
We will just have to accept that next season will be one of (hopefully) gradual improvement rather than one of immediate success.

It's always been sell to buy because of our tiny revenue. Capital expenditure isn't actually the problem now, as we've seen with the 'first refusal to sponsor the stadium' deal as innovative ways to get money into the club, the problem is and always will be wages.

Until we have regular European football, or something happens to FFP, we'll always have to shift 2-3 lesser lower paid players to get in 1 big wage player.

Still think esk talks crap. Didn’t we have a 25m bid accepted for that Hojbjerg from Southampton but he wanted to go to spurs?
If so that’s more than 20m to start with

Isn’t that the task that faces most managers?
In fact isn’t the definition of a very good manager the ability to forge a fully functioning team from the disparate parts of the previous regimes coupled with a few judicious additions of his own?
We will just have to accept that next season will be one of (hopefully) gradual improvement rather than one of immediate success.

Anyone would think our manager may have said evolution, not revolution ......but GOT are not having that, we have to buy 23 new players and start again! I believe his words were chosen carefully and fully fit your post.

Anyone would think our manager may have said evolution, not revolution ......but GOT are not having that, we have to buy 23 new players and start again! I believe his words were chosen carefully and fully fit your post.

The issue is gradual success means Digne and Richarlison leave next summer and it’s back to the drawing board.

We need Europe full stop.

Our fans live in the now, plot out what effect a 8th place finish has on this club, it can’t afford not to finish in the European places.

I get all that, and we will spend. But it will be limited and controlled spending. Anything else isn't borne out in reality, whatever we may wish for.

We should have PP for the stadium, and by extension, funding, confirmed in the next few weeks.

A big part of the pitch to our lenders will be to assure them that the wastage of the last few years will be brought under control.

Covid hasn't helped, but aside from that, the fundamentals of our situation were already well established.

I don't think we would have been stupid enough to provide false assurances to Ancelotti.

We'll spend, but we have to be creative, that's all.

The reality is, nobody really knows what we will or won't spend, but as you say we can make educated guesses. Logically and convetionally if you looked at Everton as a business it would have no money to spent. You'd go in and recommend they start selling.

However if you subscribe to the view that we have an owner who is happy to put lots of money in or that Usmanov is unformally involved then you can take the opposite position that money will be made available. It would be an odd time to turn the tap off.

There have been revisions to FFP, I believe preliminary revisions. The recession is deepening and worsening, HSBC warned of a 96% drop in profits and a recovery taking until late in 2021. The government pulling spectators again has probably moved spectators returning to stadia by about 2 months, and the longer it goes on for the longer that will be. The FFP revisions by UEFA essentially work to the premise 2021 goes back to normal and therefore the bad year of 2020 can be diluted from the top teams. I just don't think thats going to be the material reality at at all. Barcelona are forecasting tehir turnover to be 30% of what it was the previous year. In this country we have te TV deal, which offers some protection (it will go down but not to 30% of the level it was) which disproportionately helps the smaller teams. I've seen nothing to suggest all revenues outside of this will not be hit by at least 50%+ though (commercial deals, merch spending, boxes etc).

This will put pressure on for further revisions of FFP and maybe even have it done away with.

We do need a plan though. That has been clear throughout this period. Spending money wrecklessly doesnt work. I think Brands has put in the beginnings of a plan, but it's an important summer for him. We are starting to make spaces for academy players which is good.

I would say, this window will see a lot of teams going very late in terms of deals. We will be one. I have little doubt. That is the "creative" part of what you are saying. Loan deals, ezchanges, longer term loan deals (2 years) free transfers etc will all come into play. If I were judging the market I would say early on clubs are desperate to try and hold the "business as usual line". Markets tend to like that stability, and football would not do well to collapsing prices. There are too many hanger ons in the process who lose out (advisors, agents, PR managers etc). They are having a go, but the longer it drifts without deals beijng done the sharper the fall at the backe end. Lots of sides are going to need money. No fans coming back, reduced merchandising etc and a need for money will be paramount.

We've done this under Brands before as well. It worked well season 1 and badly season 2. So lets see.

The issue is gradual success means Digne and Richarlison leave next summer and it’s back to the drawing board.

We need Europe full stop.

Our fans live in the now, plot out what effect a 8th place finish has on this club, it can’t afford not to finish in the European places.

It won't be popular mate, and I liked Digne a lot and indeed Richarlinson, but if we got the offers people are saying both would be cleared off for me. A deal approaching £50m for DIgne or £80m for Richarlinson in this market I'd consider it strongly. Richarlinson has good games, but he goes missing an awful lot for me, for what is an alleged top player.

The question mark was for the Spurs and Arsenal part but I do admit that my ritten inglish isn't top notch :p

What are Spurs fans reading of the summer mate? You have that big loan from the BoE that I think has to be rapaid March of next year. What are people generally thinking re transfer plans?

It won't be popular mate, and I liked Digne a lot and indeed Richarlinson, but if we got the offers people are saying both would be cleared off for me. A deal approaching £50m for DIgne or £80m for Richarlinson in this market I'd consider it strongly. Richarlinson has good games, but he goes missing an awful lot for me, for what is an alleged top player.

Can’t be taking your two most influential Players out your team.

Did it with Barkley and Lukaku that went well didn’t it?

We get Europe we can probably afford to sell one.

Status
Not open for further replies.