Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly, but Jagielka has not worked with Ancelotti before, Ivanovic has. Some managers like to bring in players they have worked with before because they know what is expected of them. Look at when Martinez came in, he brought in; McCarthy, Joel, Kone, Alcaraz. When Moyes went to United he took Fellini and tried to take Baines
I get that, but if true, this is a DoF Failure. The fact we could have kept Jags as cover then didnt get a CB last year and are now potentially getting a 36 year old from Russia feels like failure.
I can see he would provide cover, but he will also block Branthwaites development.

Nothing!
Although, (and I’m sure it’s just me) I do struggle with the logic that goes;
Zaha is gash
Zaha is too old
Zaha is too expensive
Zaha needs to be swerved at all costs
Let’s get Zaha for £30m
Palace would take Tosun Bernard Bolasie etc all of who have slated daily on GoT for months (years in some cases) because that will solve all Palace’s problems.
To be fair if you fell for that trio, do you fancy some magic beans for your cow?

Oh, I’m not saying we wouldn’t take them. I’m saying I wouldn’t want them. Despite the regular glowing recommendations they get on GoT.

I don't mean this offensively to anyone, but the gap between Everton and Crystal Palace is actually really small. I eman this season it's what, 4-5 points? The season before 7 or 8. Thats how its been for about 5 years as well (with the exception being the one where we Lukaku scored 25 goals from open play). At some point you start running out of excuses, bad luck, bad managers etc and start to have to accept this is not a wonderful group of players who happen to always under perform.

If you were Palace, or I was Palace, the first question I'd be asking is "if they're not good enough for Everton, why are they good enough for us"? Thats not to say that Everton won't make a mistake with players, but in general that would be what comes to my mind. We do have some players you'd probably do well with, Keane would be a good centre back under Hodgson, even Sigurdsson would probably work wellmin a Roy 4-4-2. But you get the drift.

On Zaha though, I think he'd be an awful signing for Everton. He strikes me as Sigurdsson all over, he has a team, who are set up entirely to try and benefit him, and you don't watch him and think- there's a lad who could get better if he played in a better team. He gets all the ball for Palace, and at times looks unplayable, without really delivering a great deal of end product. He feels at home there, he's from the area etc.

You also factor in he has a long term deal, and you're having to pay for the tax on top that the lad is a hero for Palace so will cost extra and it just looks all wrong to me.

In a strange way he remind me a bit of Duncan Ferguson (not in playing style here). Physically Ferguson wouild dominate teams, and would occasionally take apart a top class team. He would singularly drag a poor Everton team through games. He loves the club, and went the extra mile etc. However once he was sold to Newcastle he never really kicked on, and even in his time here he was never prolific in the way you'd sense his ability might suggest.

It feels a re-hashed link. I certainly hope so.

He isn't 28 yet.
I am not saying we should sign him but writing off a 27 year old as too old seems a bit drastic. You need to stop reading posts from Zat.
I’m not writing him off! I don’t rate him and never have. He’s not going to get any better than what he is now, doesn’t score enough, doesn’t create enough, not consistent enough.

I don't mean this offensively to anyone, but the gap between Everton and Crystal Palace is actually really small. I eman this season it's what, 4-5 points? The season before 7 or 8. Thats how its been for about 5 years as well (with the exception being the one where we Lukaku scored 25 goals from open play). At some point you start running out of excuses, bad luck, bad managers etc and start to have to accept this is not a wonderful group of players who happen to always under perform.

If you were Palace, or I was Palace, the first question I'd be asking is "if they're not good enough for Everton, why are they good enough for us"? Thats not to say that Everton won't make a mistake with players, but in general that would be what comes to my mind. We do have some players you'd probably do well with, Keane would be a good centre back under Hodgson, even Sigurdsson would probably work wellmin a Roy 4-4-2. But you get the drift.

On Zaha though, I think he'd be an awful signing for Everton. He strikes me as Sigurdsson all over, he has a team, who are set up entirely to try and benefit him, and you don't watch him and think- there's a lad who could get better if he played in a better team. He gets all the ball for Palace, and at times looks unplayable, without really delivering a great deal of end product. He feels at home there, he's from the area etc.

You also factor in he has a long term deal, and you're having to pay for the tax on top that the lad is a hero for Palace so will cost extra and it just looks all wrong to me.

In a strange way he remind me a bit of Duncan Ferguson (not in playing style here). Physically Ferguson wouild dominate teams, and would occasionally take apart a top class team. He would singularly drag a poor Everton team through games. He loves the club, and went the extra mile etc. However once he was sold to Newcastle he never really kicked on, and even in his time here he was never prolific in the way you'd sense his ability might suggest.

It feels a re-hashed link. I certainly hope so.
I think there is bit of “Everton is a much bigger club than Palace” and no one could argue that from a historical perspective they are miles bigger.
Currently there is almost parity in league terms although from memory I think we have only finished above Everton once in the past seven seasons (our current run in the EPL).
Zaha and his advisors will be looking for a team that will play in Europe and/or win things. That’s why he wants to leave Palace.Is that Everton at the moment? Maybe in a couple of years if the new manager is backed. Zaha will be almost 30 by then.
My view is that he will go to France or Germany to a club that has qualified for Europe or bolster the squad of a English top 6 team where he won’t play every game but be on more than Palace can pay him.
I’m sure he’s off but he is leaving himself very few options.
If he does become a Blue, I hope he is fantastic for you. Just can’t see it at the moment.

I think there is bit of “Everton is a much bigger club than Palace” and no one could argue that from a historical perspective they are miles bigger.
Currently there is almost parity in league terms although from memory I think we have only finished above Everton once in the past seven seasons (our current run in the EPL).
Zaha and his advisors will be looking for a team that will play in Europe and/or win things. That’s why he wants to leave Palace.Is that Everton at the moment? Maybe in a couple of years if the new manager is backed. Zaha will be almost 30 by then.
My view is that he will go to France or Germany to a club that has qualified for Europe or bolster the squad of a English top 6 team where he won’t play every game but be on more than Palace can pay him.
I’m sure he’s off but he is leaving himself very few options.
If he does become a Blue, I hope he is fantastic for you. Just can’t see it at the moment.
Sensible post shocker :)

I get that, but if true, this is a DoF Failure. The fact we could have kept Jags as cover then didnt get a CB last year and are now potentially getting a 36 year old from Russia feels like failure.
I can see he would provide cover, but he will also block Branthwaites development.

We have different managers now though, if Ancellotti had been here last summer Jagielka might have stayed. If we had got Zouma in, no one would have been bothered about Jagielka leaving, it only looks bad because we didnt get Zouma.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I agree with this part. He has a good work-rate and talent, but I don't see him growing into something more or making that much of an impact here.

Status
Not open for further replies.