Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

We’re stuck in a precarious position where we desperately need to strengthen, the world of football knows we do, we can’t sign “punts” because the fans won’t accept it but we can’t sign “superstars” because they’re too expensive and likely wouldn’t come here.

I’m not all that confident we’ll do good business this Summer.

Bascombe too but this indicates there wont be big changes. Its behind a paywall so cant see full article.

Just waiting for King and Joyce

Does seem to be conflicting stories though regarding the finances. Some say decent spend, som, like this, indicate it wont be big spend. Plus Brands and Ancelotti seem to be giving different messages too.

Hoping Brands is saying not much money, sell to buy etc as he's the one negotiating, so trying to keep prices down

What you get from Everton is that it's quite chaotic and not the most unified in terms of strategy. You also seem to get the idea, individuals can step in with what they want, at the last minute if the so wish.

You have an owner, who isnt in the board, yet by all accounts was personally lobbying for us to sign a player for a club record fee last summer. We also have a secondary figure, who is a major client and sponsor who meets managers before they ultimately agree to join.

You also have to factor is, Brands and Ancelotti have different roles. It's not in Brands interests to say we have lots of money, especially if he is reneging on deals and trying to negotiate them down. I'm not saying its untrue what hes saying, but he has motive to make out we wont be spending much. It's a sensible strategy even if we have money.

One final point, a prominent fan on twitter said recently the club had asked them to help get the message out. When I pressed him on what message, he confirmed it was in relation to safety and not going to the ground. However the way it was casually mentioned suggests to me people are probably being briefed to get certain messages out, which again is fine. Lots of prominent people are saying we have no money to spend, I would posit the club are asking the to get that message out.

That could be because we dont. Or it might be for a myriad of other reasons.

We will see what the summer brings. Interestingly the toffee TV guys said this week that we might as well just break FFP for a year, take the ban for a year and move forward. It's the first time I've heard them say that.

What you get from Everton is that it's quite chaotic and not the most unified in terms of strategy. You also seem to get the idea, individuals can step in with what they want, at the last minute if the so wish.

You have an owner, who isnt in the board, yet by all accounts was personally lobbying for us to sign a player for a club record fee last summer. We also have a secondary figure, who is a major client and sponsor who meets managers before they ultimately agree to join.

You also have to factor is, Brands and Ancelotti have different roles. It's not in Brands interests to say we have lots of money, especially if he is reneging on deals and trying to negotiate them down. I'm not saying its untrue what hes saying, but he has motive to make out we wont be spending much. It's a sensible strategy even if we have money.

One final point, a prominent fan on twitter said recently the club had asked them to help get the message out. When I pressed him on what message, he confirmed it was in relation to safety and not going to the ground. However the way it was casually mentioned suggests to me people are probably being briefed to get certain messages out, which again is fine. Lots of prominent people are saying we have no money to spend, I would posit the club are asking the to get that message out.

That could be because we dont. Or it might be for a myriad of other reasons.

We will see what the summer brings. Interestingly the toffee TV guys said this week that we might as well just break FFP for a year, take the ban for a year and move forward. It's the first time I've heard them say that.

Please don’t say you think Esk is one of said prominent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.