Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richarlison would be putting in a request because the scenario you laid out would leave us still very mediocre two years from now.

I'm not suggesting spending it all in one window. But over two summers the goal should be to get about 8 new first team players in. And you've listed the right positions or there about. But the team you listed as your team for us to have following the summer of 21 is, in my opinion of course, way short of the quality I would hope we had especially in midfield and on the wings. Of course you didn't name RWs so if we found a couple of gems there it all changes, but I can't go off of that.

Talking actual dollars is silly at this point. Anyone telling you what is going to happen at the end of this current crisis in any financial situation is guessing. It's unprecedented and football will no down be effected. I'm just looking at the players.

You seem to be focusing on wide players / formations and not the actual ability and potential of the players I listed...

You want to sign 8 players because you dont want Pickford or Bernard etc and also want numerous midfielders / wide players brought in along with centre backs.

I dont see how a spend circa £175mil (and i was being generous on numbers) happens...

The whole point im making centres around a bare minimum net spend...yours is focused on a large net spend.

I actually think the side i listed going into a second season pre window would be really strong...heres how the end of the first seaaon looks pre window with net spend being the CM cost:

GK: Pickford / Lossl / Virginia
RWB: Emerson / Kenny
RCB: Todibo / Coleman
CB: Holgate / Mina
LCB: Gabriel / Sarr / Gibson
LWB: Digne / Baines
CM: Gomes / Player already signed
CM: Gbamin / Davies
AM: Iwobi / Bernard
CF: Richarlison / Kean
CF: DCL / Gordon

If we stuck with the 3412 formation i had suggested (being around breakeven to get to it) we would need new outfield of:

RCB: Upgrade on coleman or Kenny shifting there with a RWB signed

LWB: To replace Baines

CM: New signing

AM: New Signing (one of Bernard/Iwobi to go)

Thats 2 starters and 2 rotation players. Its a balanced side needing a final sprinkle to be complete with sensible spending.

All that changes if we have lots of cash this summer, but even then we need 3 defenders...

We are not going to be going into the season with 10 defenders and two different starting XI’s, that is pure Walsh and Koeman 2017-esque lunacy.

Ive named 19 players, hasnt brands said he wants 23 + kids?

How many defenders do we need when playing wing backs?

Even with 2 players a position (or two different starting elevens + a backup keeper) that makes 23...

You seem to be focusing on wide players / formations and not the actual ability and potential of the players I listed...

You want to sign 8 players because you dont want Pickford or Bernard etc and also want numerous midfielders / wide players brought in along with centre backs.

I dont see how a spend circa £175mil (and i was being generous on numbers) happens...

The whole point im making centres around a bare minimum net spend...yours is focused on a large net spend.

I actually think the side i listed going into a second season pre window would be really strong...heres how the end of the first seaaon looks pre window with net spend being the CM cost:

GK: Pickford / Lossl / Virginia
RWB: Emerson / Kenny
RCB: Todibo / Coleman
CB: Holgate / Mina
LCB: Gabriel / Sarr / Gibson
LWB: Digne / Baines
CM: Gomes / Player already signed
CM: Gbamin / Davies
AM: Iwobi / Bernard
CF: Richarlison / Kean
CF: DCL / Gordon

If we stuck with the 3412 formation i had suggested (being around breakeven to get to it) we would need new outfield of:

RCB: Upgrade on coleman or Kenny shifting there with a RWB signed

LWB: To replace Baines

CM: New signing

AM: New Signing (one of Bernard/Iwobi to go)

Thats 2 starters and 2 rotation players. Its a balanced side needing a final sprinkle to be complete with sensible spending.

All that changes if we have lots of cash this summer, but even then we need 3 defenders...

Ive named 19 players, hasnt brands said he wants 23 + kids?

How many defenders do we need when playing wing backs?

Even with 2 players a position (or two different starting elevens + a backup keeper) that makes 23...
My biggest problem is you're suggesting not touching the creative players, the goalkeeper and only signing one CM. Meanwhile we're bringing in 3 CBs and a RB. I think that's a poor allocation given where the team is struggling.

My biggest problem is you're suggesting not touching the creative players, the goalkeeper and only signing one CM. Meanwhile we're bringing in 3 CBs and a RB. I think that's a poor allocation given where the team is struggling.

Well defense is where we struggle the most hence we’ve conceded only 1 goal less than 17th placed Bournemouth but are the 9th highest scorers.

Jagielka scored a screamer at the kop end should we have moved him up top?

They're still incredibly skillful players who will occasionally be capable of great moments, it doesn't mean everyone is a midfielder.
Massive difference, although jags has done similar more than once actually...
Holgates passing is decent, the example was one of the few times he was in an advanced position where he was able to play the pass,
I reckon given more opportunities we'd see similar results

All clubs will need to lower prices even their star players that force a move will need to go for less than they'd like. Keane would, in my opinion, only get about £10m this next window.
True, but I think the premier league/UEFA will have to relax FFP rules.

I think they’ll do this because clubs will obviously have less money than they would’ve before the crises, plus they won’t want a transfer freeze.

this will obviously give clubs with money/rich owners a chance to get ahead of where they normally get to without FFP.

FFP has some good aspects. It was essentially set up to ensure clubs didn’t spend beyond their means. To prevent another Leeds situation. However, in reality all it has achieved is to strengthen the rich/CL clubs and clubs with a massive worldwide brand/fan base. A club like Everton, even with our owner, will realistically never be able to compete with certain clubs for players/wages based on our transfer budget/wage budget FFP limitations.

clubs with a wealthy owner could look at this summer as a massive opportunity transfer-wise. I hope if given this chance Moshiri (and maybe his friend Usmanov) take the opportunity.

I appreciate it’s a bit grim to think like this given the major difficulties a worldwide pandemic has caused for everyone. Just purely thinking in football terms here. Obviously we’d have all preferred there no be no pandemic, no deaths and have everything as normal.

Well defense is where we struggle the most hence we’ve conceded only 1 goal less than 17th placed Bournemouth but are the 9th highest scorers.

Basically what Nymzee said...

We need a right back, that much is obvious. We also need two centre backs + to punt Keane....then the third centre back is a left footer who can cover on the left (in case baines goes off a cliff) and also on the left of a 3 if needed.

Todibo / Holgate can also play different positions so the defence becomes quite versatile.

As for centre midfield, i dont see how we can sign two centre midfielders unless literally all the deadwood is sold...otherwise we'd also need a right mid as well so the costs add up. However if we shift to a 3 at the back we could probably get 2 centre mids because there wouldnt be a need for anyone else...

I think we struggle most in midfield. We've picked up our scoring since going 4 4 2, but that's also meant we concede more. Adding more creativity and players who can keep hold of the ball would probably have quite a big impact on how many goals we concede I think.

I think we struggle most in midfield. We've picked up our scoring since going 4 4 2, but that's also meant we concede more. Adding more creativity and players who can keep hold of the ball would probably have quite a big impact on how many goals we concede I think.
4-4-2 seems to suit the players we have at the moment but i don't think that even with Carlo in charge we won't do anything until we do something about that goalkeeper, he is an accident waiting to happen.

But they also cost far more than defenders normally.

But they also cost far more than defenders normally.
True, but the point was simply that conceding more than we score isn't necessarily proof that our defenders need replacing as a priority over other positions. Until we can control the midfield we won't go anywhere, it's been our weakest area for years and the current options are the poorest we've had for a long time. Improving the centre halves will make it easier for us to stand firm and hope to sneak something against good teams, improving our midfield will make it easier for us to actually compete with them.

*Edit* That doesn't mean I don't want us to replace defenders, I really do.

All clubs will need to lower prices even their star players that force a move will need to go for less than they'd like. Keane would, in my opinion, only get about £10m this next window.
Approximately 9 mil more than he's worth tbf

Status
Not open for further replies.