Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we going to add four or five players to our squad if we cannot move on the same number ?
I am not talking about those out of contract because they were all peripheral to the squad we had last season.
I am talking about the squad of players that we did use plus those coming back in Besic, Bolasie and Sandro.

We will struggle to move on players this summer I expect.

I was going to add John O'Kane, John Oster, Danny Williamson. But my life was passing in front of my eyes.

Williamson doesn't have get treated badly by our fans. What happened to him was tragic. Played 15 games for us (played very well in the derby) then got a career threatening injury that took him out for two seasons, finally looked like he was recovering and then did the exact same injury to his other leg ending his career.

He wasn't a bad player or anything, just never had a chance to get going.

I think we could go into that for ages, remember there was a narrative by many that we wouldn't miss Lukaku because many of his goals in 2016/17 were never the 'decisive' goal/s, mostly goals that added to our lead.

That said, Sigurdsson has been utterly anonymous this season, even forgetting goals and assists, just a hologram in the centre of the pitch.

Anyone with a brain cell could see that Lukaku was our only attacking threat though. That was his impact on the team, not just the sheer number of goals he scored. It was that when he didn't play well, we didn't look like scoring, ever. What does Sigurdsson do to contribute to our play?

Williamson doesn't have get treated badly by our fans. What happened to him was tragic. Played 15 games for us (played very well in the derby) then got a career threatening injury that took him out for two seasons, finally looked like he was recovering and then did the exact same injury to his other leg ending his career.

He wasn't a bad player or anything, just never had a chance to get going.

He was very highly rated at the time...

I think a right back is a certainty. I like the first 3 on the list, not the last 2 so much. Haven’t seen much of Under, but it seems like Roma want rid, which is not a great sign

And Lozano, Brands said he was worth about 20mil at best. Napoli paid nearly 40 and he’s basically flopped in Italy. So I can’t really see us interested in him.

....looks to me like Under and Lozano play predominantly on the right flank. Unlikely we’d bring both in. Much will depend on what positions Brands/Ancelotti feel they need strengthening but I think they will only bring players they feel are better than we currently have.

Last edited:

....looks to me like Under and Lozano play predominantly on the right flank. Unlikely we’d bring both in. Much will depend on what positions Brands/Ancelotti feel they need strengthening but I think they will only bring players they feel are better than we currently have.

Under is on the right and cuts in on his left foot alot.

Hes decent as a squad player when hes fit which isnt often.

Lozano can play both sides. May be a bit soft for the league.

Anyone with a brain cell could see that Lukaku was our only attacking threat though. That was his impact on the team, not just the sheer number of goals he scored. It was that when he didn't play well, we didn't look like scoring, ever. What does Sigurdsson do to contribute to our play?

This season, absolutely nothing. Last season, he did do what he was supposed to do for the most part, knit together attacks, be the 2nd striker when needed, be the extra CM when needed, helped us press and offered a goal threat.

Don't get me wrong mate, I literally can't stand looking at him but he was decent last season.

This season, absolutely nothing. Last season, he did do what he was supposed to do for the most part, knit together attacks, be the 2nd striker when needed, be the extra CM when needed, helped us press and offered a goal threat.

Don't get me wrong mate, I literally can't stand looking at him but he was decent last season.

Disagree strongly with that bit. He did it more than he has done this season, or did in his entire first season, but that isn’t difficult. I stand by it that he hasn’t had more than 10 good games since he joined the club.

This is the problem with using stats as a measure of a player's contribution though, I'm talking specifically about how many games he has affected for us. Him scoring 13 goals doesn't mean he played well in 13 games. There are games in which he was utterly abysmal, part of a terrible team performance in which we got completely outplayed, but scored a consolation goal. That doesn't go down as one of his good games for me.

He scored 2 pens, so from open play he got ten league goals that season. Not disastrous, but not ‘great’ either for a player who had the whole team built around him. If we’d bought a 40 mill striker and he only scored ten from open play we wouldn’t be happy. DCL has outstripped that in far less games this season in a far worse team. Siggurdson has always profited from being classed as a striker when being compared to midfielders and being classed as a midfielder when being compared to strikers.

Yeah we're not signing two DMs without signing a RB this summer/whenever a window opens

Jesus Christ, remember that

I think it may depend on who leaves, if Schniderlin goes I could see us signing 2 DM. But I have the feeling he will stay unless we give him a pay off, he is on over £100k a week and no one else is going to pay him that.

I think a right back is a certainty. I like the first 3 on the list, not the last 2 so much. Haven’t seen much of Under, but it seems like Roma want rid, which is not a great sign

And Lozano, Brands said he was worth about 20mil at best. Napoli paid nearly 40 and he’s basically flopped in Italy. So I can’t really see us interested in him.

I think Italian football is still played at a slower pace than premier league and it doesn't suit everyone, particularly those whose game is based around pace. I think both Under and Lozano are still young enough that they can still improve and I think they would improve our current squad. The price will be interesting though, for Under they have mentioned anywhere between £17m and £24m and Lozano anyhere between £25m and £35m. I think if we can get them for closer to the lower end of their valuations they represent only a small risk. We would probably pay more for championship players.

I always felt the team was built around Lukaku, it was set up to help him score.
That was great for Lukaku but not for the team.
As you have said when it didn't work with Lukaku we had no plan B.
I think Lukaku was not the success at Utd that he and others thought he would be because the team was not specifically set up for him to score and he sometimes struggles in a team where he is expected to make his own goals.

Are we going to add four or five players to our squad if we cannot move on the same number ?
I am not talking about those out of contract because they were all peripheral to the squad we had last season.
I am talking about the squad of players that we did use plus those coming back in Besic, Bolasie and Sandro.

We will struggle to move on players this summer I expect.
I think Besic’ Bolasie and Sandro all have contracts that expire in July 2021 don’t they? Could be wrong.

If that is the case all 3 will effectively leave permanently this summer.

Bolasie and Sandro will go on loan with the loaning club paying some of their wages. You’re right that we probably won’t get transfer fees for them, but their wages are too high and in their next contracts they’ll be lucky to get 25% of what they’re on here.

Besic’ has proven to be a decent player at championship level/squad player for bottom half PL club. He’ll either go permanently for a decent fee, or he’ll go on loan with they loaning club paying all his wage and a loan fee.

You’re right that it’s difficult for us to move our players on for good money. The problem is the contracts we gave out in summer 2016 and 2017 were a bit mental.

For Brands his Everton job so far has been like trying to put out a forest fire or turn an oil tanker around. It takes time but he’s making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.