Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
....Chelsea linked with Pickford, I wonder if Brands thinks he’s expendable.
Would mean us buying 2 keepers if he left.
Stek off at the end of the season and that leaves Pickford and Vaginia who failed epically at Reading. So if Pickford leave then that leaves us an woefully short

Klopp had 4 years after inheriting a squad that had challenged for the title until he got success (If I out aside my conspiracy theories for a while on how he achieved it). But the point stands that it took a long time of slow building piece by piece. Brands inherited a truly terrible squad in 17/18 with only one decent asset (Gueye) and some unproven youngsters (Holgate and DCL) as they only bright spots at all. If we gave Ancelloti and Brands 4 seasons of continuous investment then I would guarantee we’d be miles ahead of where we are now. It’s a process and as long as the quality of the squad keeps increasing that’s all I care about and from my point of view the squad has improved hugely since Brands came in with us now having far better players on the pitch. We just need to keep going in the right direction.

I agree with all of that. Klopp also inherited an under achieving squad. While I think that Firmino is painfully overrated by that lot, he was not well used under Rodgers. He had good dependable players, Lovren, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho etc they just weren't well used.

Brands came into a squad that was over performing to get 8th. It was a hideous squad really. Strangely I think Silva did this odd thing of help us move forward but also mis manage us drastically on the pitch. He helped us re-shape the squad and I think he was a good coach, but had zero tactical awareness. So I do think he was a central problem and the squads better than 2 years ago, even if the results as yet don't show it.

Under the 15 league games under Silva we were 18th, under the following 16 games we are 4th in the league (and under Carlo we are 5th level on points with Wolves in 4th for his 13 games). Within that we have played 8 of the "big 6" in that period so it's been a pretty horrendous run of games. There is little doubt we are probably overperforming a bit post Silva, I don't think we are a top 4 team (and a lot of this is because with 1 side romping the league the points requirement to be 4th is lower) but there's no doubt we have a top 8 squad now with a capable manager.

The other stat to me that stands out, is we have 19 points from 8 games against sides outside of the top 6. Under Ancelotti we have become much better at putting away these teams, or when it's not going right getting draws. It will be tested against Leicester and Wolves (who are the best outside of the top 6) but looking at Leicester I think they are coming back down to earth and it's winnable, Wolves will be a real test.

Either way, 3 defeats in 16, given the fixtures we've had is a massive turnaround. And yes, if we can finally have a bit of consistency, with Brands and Ancelotti you will see incremental progress. That will be even more important than spending tonnes of money as well.

....Chelsea linked with Pickford, I wonder if Brands thinks he’s expendable.

I listened to a podcast earlier and someone mentioned that while Keane, Digne etc were mentioned by Ancelotti as key players, Pickford was not. I thought that was very telling,

If even a reasonable offer came in for Pickford I think it would make a lot of sense to make the sale. It would help us with FFP. I also think for him, he would get an easier ride playing for a top 6 team, and probably have less to do which would make him look better as he'd have more clean sheets.

The esk being his cheery self I see we have no money but for loans apparently
I called him out on twitter last night, makes me laugh how so many fans hang off his every word.

Remember the kopite fraudster business man who said the ground build wouldn’t start till 2025 and he agreed, before it was pointed out he’s was a conman. How embarrassing for him.

Of course he tweeted negatively about Dan Meis’s Tweet. Before he got shot down, by people who obviously now how big construction projects work. But he never replied to any of them. What is wrong with him.
I’ve blocked him now, Can’t be doing with reading or listening to any of his constant drivel.

Would mean us buying 2 keepers if he left.
Stek off at the end of the season and that leaves Pickford and Vaginia who failed epically at Reading. So if Pickford leave then that leaves us an woefully short

Virginia is a good keeper who had a couple of bad games. Given Lossl returns I think we will only bring in 1 goalkeeper if he goes.

He took over a team that finished 2nd because of a slip, he’s also got them To 3 euro finals in 3 years
We havnt been anywhere forever
Can’t compare the 2 clubs really. The difference is huge

I believe Ancelotti the right man and will get us up there

that’s my point, some people are expecting instant progress from Brands but look how long it took Liverpool from a far superior position to get success. It’s going to be a long long road back to the top under Brands but we have to keep going in the right direction.

Walcott and Sigi won’t be leaving, Tosun got a serious injury so won’t be leaving either

Walcott's contract ends next summer - if we dont get rid now he'll be gone on a free anyway as I doubt we'll offer him a new deal on those wages.

I doubt Sig will go myself like, Tosun is back on the road to fitness looking at his latest social media vids so could still get rid if the window is open for an extended period / in January.

When you consider we still have the following to get shot of:

Sandro - £70-100k a week
Siggurdsson- £90k-100k a week
Walcott - £100k+ a week
Bernard: £100k+ a week
Tosun: £70k+ a week
Kenny: £15-20k? a week
Bolasie: £70k+ a week

Thats some serious wages we can use to bring in 3-4 top players.

Why for me I would get rid of Bernard & Walcott if possible as the wages they are on doesnt equal the output they provide us.

Some clever movement in the TW can help us massively.

Its an if, if we get shot of them though mate, the market is subjective. Outs before ins etc.

We are sailing very close to the wind, our wages on our last set of accounts were 85% of our turnover - 160mill, thats not sustainable and needs to be brought down so im not thinking along the lines of wages freed up as being "free wages".

Last edited:

I called him out on twitter last night, makes me laugh how so many fans hang off his every word.

Remember the kopite fraudster business man who said the ground build wouldn’t start till 2025 and he agreed, before it was pointed out he’s was a conman. How embarrassing for him.

Of course he tweeted negatively about Dan Meis’s Tweet. Before he got shot down, by people who obviously now how big construction projects work. But he never replied to any of them. What is wrong with him.
I’ve blocked him now, Can’t be doing with reading or listening to any of his constant drivel.
Stop giving him any attention then.

Attention is the one thing he craves.

Its an if, if we get shot of them though mate, the market is subjective. Outs before ins etc.

We are sailing very close to the wind, our wages on our last set of accounts were 85% of our turnover - 140mill, thats not sustainable and needs to be brought down so im not thinking along the lines of wages freed up as being "free wages".

True mate however sponserships etc are slowly increasing which will always keep us slightly ahead and once BMD is sorted thats additional revenue when we get the naming rights.

In short im not worrying too much as people have flapped the past 2 seasons saying we wont spend and we have done.

What we do need to do is start being ruthless- just because players like Walcott/Bernard play "ok" for us shouldn't mean they get a free pass when they are earning the sort of money that the quality of player of Richarlison should be earning.

If we could sell say Bernard for £15 million, get his £120k+ a week off the books and bring in a player for £20-25 million on say 80k a week who can contribute 7-8 more goals and assists a season long term we benefit both on and off the field.

£20m-£30m to replace Pickford and some old fella on a free, easy.
That leave less then 35 mil if we where to sell Pickford for 70 and buy someone for 30 once you account for wages and agent fees and signing on bonus for the keeper on a free.
Unless we use JV as number 1 and get a back up

Status
Not open for further replies.