Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
....folk automatically suggest goalkeepers from Burnley or Newcastle because they are familiar, but it would be folly to concentrate on the underwhelming PL goalkeeping market when there’s a big world to pick from.

If Pickford is sold, I would personally want a big goalkeeper who commands his area. I’m not overly bothered if he can pick a 50 yard pass or does 100 Keepy-ups, i am bothered that he consistently and cleanly takes crosses and imposes his authority on the penalty area.

All day mate what we'd all like is another Neville Southall..if only.

We had to be smart when FFP was relevant but if that gets lifted or in anyway put on hold then we will find out exactly where we're at.

That will give us a real indication of who exactly is funding this club and to what extent.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could go berserk with our spending IMO.

It's like then The Esk and the posters go on about the current situation changing our chances significantly of us producing Bramley Moore. It definitely does, if we're being run like a normal business but we're clearly not and to what extent we're not, no one really knows as FFP has stopped us flexing our muscles in the transfer market. In every other area money really seems to be no object and we could benefit greatly form the changes the current situation is going to make to football moving forward.

I think our best best with FFP is it's "relaxed" but not completely eradicated. We could go nuts, but with City and potentially now Newcastle they could go more nuts than us. However a tacit agreement that they will overlook certain losses over the next couple of years, as long as teams don't take the mickey too much would suit us.

Essentially we can continue to expand what we are doing under Brands and upscale a little bit as appropriate. I don't think we would necessarily want to, benefit from or be able to blitz it, and would not massively want others to do so.

....folk automatically suggest goalkeepers from Burnley or Newcastle because they are familiar, but it would be folly to concentrate on the underwhelming PL goalkeeping market when there’s a big world to pick from.

If Pickford is sold, I would personally want a big goalkeeper who commands his area. I’m not overly bothered if he can pick a 50 yard pass or does 100 Keepy-ups, i am bothered that he consistently and cleanly takes crosses and imposes his authority on the penalty area.

Donnarumma.

Screenshot_20200420-105203_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200420-105233_Chrome.jpg

I'll agree and disagree a little here. My feeling with Pickford, and lots of goalkeepers is they are good and bad. They make a lot of saves, but also make mistakes. The difference is, we are quite a critical fanbase and now he's England number 1 he's put under more scrutiny that currently Pope and Henderson aren't.

The lad Dubravka though I've been really impressed with him for some time. He looks a bit bigger than a lot of the English goalkeepers and I don't see him making many mistakes. He is 31, which doesn't suit the age profiles, but goalkeepers can go a lot longer. I look at Schmeichel at Leicester now with Schmeichel at 33 who still seems to be a very good goalkeeper. I think with age comes experience and mistakes tend to be cut out.

I would go all out for Donnarumma though if Pickford went. Really goo size and could grow into the role.

We tend to overestimate other teams goalkeepers to the point where we hold them up as super solid reliable options who are really cheap and can be picked up anywhere. All of a sudden players like Dubravka, Pope, Heaton, Henderson, Guaita are all far better keepers than Pickford and never make any errors.

Bizarrely though it’s always Pickford that gets linked with United and Chelsea for a big money move and Southgate keeps picking him.

Ask fans of any of those teams with those keepers and they’d all probably moan about their own and falsely big up other ones. The only difference was because Pickford is England number one he gets a lot of media attention, add to this being an Everton player who had the temerity to do well at a World Cup he was always going to get pellets from the kopite media after that. When he makes a mistake it’s discussed for weeks, when Dubravka makes one it’s forgotten by half time. When Pickford was at Sunderland none of his mistakes were talked about.

People seem tor honk there’s keepers out there who don’t make errors, make loads of saves, positionally perfect, and have good distribution, and will be cheap in the market. It’s not the case. Apart from Liverpool and City fans I don’t know many teams happy with their goalkeeper and even Ederson has been poor this season and Allison makes lots of errors that are just conveniently glossed over after the game by the PR machine or he gets let off the hook by strikers missing from a yard out.
Thing is though, someone like Dubravka is at least as good as Pickford, and cost a tiny fraction of the price. That's why people focus on Pickford, because he hasn't proven to be value for money. At all.

The idea that the media focus on our players is just plain bonkers. They couldn't care less about us. There is absolutely no media agenda against an inoffensive mid table club that never does anything to upset the apple cart, we're basically media darlings in the grand scheme of things. You just notice them talking about our players because, you know, you support us.

We tend to overestimate other teams goalkeepers to the point where we hold them up as super solid reliable options who are really cheap and can be picked up anywhere. All of a sudden players like Dubravka, Pope, Heaton, Henderson, Guaita are all far better keepers than Pickford and never make any errors.

Bizarrely though it’s always Pickford that gets linked with United and Chelsea for a big money move and Southgate keeps picking him.

Ask fans of any of those teams with those keepers and they’d all probably moan about their own and falsely big up other ones. The only difference was because Pickford is England number one he gets a lot of media attention, add to this being an Everton player who had the temerity to do well at a World Cup he was always going to get pellets from the kopite media after that. When he makes a mistake it’s discussed for weeks, when Dubravka makes one it’s forgotten by half time. When Pickford was at Sunderland none of his mistakes were talked about.

People seem tor honk there’s keepers out there who don’t make errors, make loads of saves, positionally perfect, and have good distribution, and will be cheap in the market. It’s not the case. Apart from Liverpool and City fans I don’t know many teams happy with their goalkeeper and even Ederson has been poor this season and Allison makes lots of errors that are just conveniently glossed over after the game by the PR machine or he gets let off the hook by strikers missing from a yard out.

I think it's fair that other goalkeepers are like Pickford but he has far more scrutiny which differentiates him.

I'll be honest though, if we could get a good fee for Pickford (anything above what we paid) I'd move him on in an instant. I'd go and get ideally Donnarumma or falling that Meret at Napoli. They are a bit younger but could well be too class, and I'm not sure Pickford will be top class here. I think sometimes there's just too much water under the bridge for a player.

The Anfield mistake, followed on by him basically messing about at Newcastle and then costing us the game was a point of no return. I accept him, and accept logically that he's not too dissimilar to others, and we shouldn't just give him away, but if we get a figure that means we can start again I think the time has come to do that.

It would probably suit him too. I think he may benefit from a new challenge. If he goes to Chelsea, and wins trophies suddenly he will be spoken about differently, and it will cement his place as England number 1.

Thing is though, someone like Dubravka is at least as good as Pickford, and cost a tiny fraction of the price. That's why people focus on Pickford, because he hasn't proven to be value for money. At all.

The idea that the media focus on our players is just plain bonkers. They couldn't care less about us. There is absolutely no media agenda against an inoffensive mid table club that never does anything to upset the apple cart, we're basically media darlings in the grand scheme of things. You just notice them talking about our players because, you know, you support us.

I think you'd have to pay a fair whack for Dubravka now. I actually think though he's really good. I don't see him making many mistakes and seems to have a real presence on goal, looks a big lad.

In general I agree re the media, but there's definitely a campaign against Pickford, not because he plays for Everton but because he plays for England. Most England fans don't seem to like Everton players being in their team, and generally try to make our lads scapegoats.

I think you'd have to pay a fair whack for Dubravka now. I actually think though he's really good. I don't see him making many mistakes and seems to have a real presence on goal, looks a big lad.

In general I agree re the media, but there's definitely a campaign against Pickford, not because he plays for Everton but because he plays for England. Most England fans don't seem to like Everton players being in their team, and generally try to make our lads scapegoats.
I don't think it's because he plays for us personally, I think it's because he doesn't come across particularly well as a person. He's not popular with opposition fans because of that. People will forgive that if you're great, but not if you're not. And he's definitely not.

I’d take either Pope or Henderson whose on loan at sheff United over pickford.
Henderson is a Utd player and they would want as much for him as we would get for Pickford. Pope would also cost a lot of money and cannot get ahead of Pickford in the international team.

I think Pickford would only be sold if there was a dire need to raise huge funds for other transfers. I think he is one of the few not for sale players we have.

I've just said him. Possibly Meret too, any thoughts on him?
I think it's fair that other goalkeepers are like Pickford but he has far more scrutiny which differentiates him.

I'll be honest though, if we could get a good fee for Pickford (anything above what we paid) I'd move him on in an instant. I'd go and get ideally Donnarumma or falling that Meret at Napoli. They are a bit younger but could well be too class, and I'm not sure Pickford will be top class here. I think sometimes there's just too much water under the bridge for a player.

The Anfield mistake, followed on by him basically messing about at Newcastle and then costing us the game was a point of no return. I accept him, and accept logically that he's not too dissimilar to others, and we shouldn't just give him away, but if we get a figure that means we can start again I think the time has come to do that.

It would probably suit him too. I think he may benefit from a new challenge. If he goes to Chelsea, and wins trophies suddenly he will be spoken about differently, and it will cement his place as England number 1.

I wouldnt look at Meret (or anyone else) if Donnarumma was an option.

Just pay the fee.

I don't think it's because he plays for us personally, I think it's because he doesn't come across particularly well as a person. He's not popular with opposition fans because of that. People will forgive that if you're great, but not if you're not. And he's definitely not.

No and I think thats fair. I think there's an immaturity there. I look at the best goalkeepers I've signed, Southall, Seaman, Martyn etc and there was a quiet humility to all of them. To use an old adage they let their football do the talking. I think a lot of it is nerved with Pickford (as it probably was for James before him) and a way of coping with nervous energy. He seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder though.

That being said I do think more broadly there is an anti-Everton bias at England level. Even fairly decent, level headed individuals like Jagielka and Baines were thrown to the Wolves. I'll never forget the cockneys wanting Baines dropped for the overweight clogger Luke Shaw as he was younger, only to get behind Ashley Young, who was older than Leighton Baines, and not even a left back 4 years later.

well said

I can tell you this right now, if we sell Pickford we won't get better than him at this current juncture

pretty much all the top keepers are already at top clubs

If people think we can sell Pickford and replace him with a Fabianski then they are going to be in for an unpleasant wake up call

I'm almost at the stage where I want us to sell Pickford actually. People need to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.