Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never as good at United? Nearly as bizarre a comment as Keane for Barca. His goalscoring record at United and for England is nothing short of phenomenal.

Neither his goal-scoring record nor trophy haul can be questioned, so he has to be regarded as a great. For me, though, at United he became an ordinary great, a top quality normal player. Colin Harvey said he could become England's Maradona, but that never happened. Ferguson drained the mercury from him.

People have rewritten history on Stones.. he had some dicy moments, but was easily the best we had and covered his co centre backs often.. His ceiling is huge and should be playing week in and week out. I don't know where his head is anymore but he was worth every cent of the money City paid for him.
I liked Stones and I still do, but thought his skills were better suited to midfield.

While I'm here, I saw a question on the end of a twitter attachment here yesterday. Someone asked do people in any other city than Liverpool
say 'going to the pictures'. Yes, it's what we say in Melbourne although the younger generation are tending towards 'movies'.

The problem with Stones seems to be that not only has he not improved but gone backwards since he left for City.

When he was with us he looked like a top player in the making who had to learn when to play ball and when to defend. We all assumed that would come with time and experience but it just doesn't seem to have happened and even last season , when fit, he couldn't force his way to become a regular starter.

I can understand City buying Ake to deepen the squad, but if Koulibally is signed as well then Stones looks as if he has no future there.
If we were going into the season with the lad as fourth choice centre back, which I think is the scenario we were discussing, he would have to be part and parcel of the first team training set up. I think it would then be difficult for him to become a regular fixture in the U23 starting line having not trained or done any match specific tactical stuff with the U23 manager and the rest of the squad.

Also, you never know when he will be required for first team duties. I wouldn't normally expect us to go into a first team game with two centre backs on the subs bench, but we may do so if there is a medical question mark over one of the players, or indeed he may be the actual bench cover in the event of injury or suspension.

I'm not arguing with your assessment that young lads like him learn more from playing competitive games, I just don't see how this could be done in those circumstances.

It's why the decision to keep young players with the first team, or send them out in loan, is such a difficult one to get right. Ideally, for the player and not necessarily the manager that is, a senior player in his position will get injured thereby giving him an opportunity.
Michael Keane should definitely be sold this window imo. 100%. Only got a year and a half left on his contract and we could fetch a decent fee for him.
There does seem to be a lack of decent centre backs available. It’s surprising how little Gabriels cost arsenal really.
Because, as I said, he’s got a year and a half left on his contract and he’s one of our few sellable assets that I wouldn’t miss. We’re not exactly flush with money at the moment so now is an ideal time to sell him. He’s easily replaceable imo for less than what we’d sell him for.

I agree that his form improved under Ancelotti mate but honestly do you really think Michael Keane’s skillset would be hard to replace?

For me he’s pretty much only good at defending in a low block when teams are constricted to hopeful balls into the box which are easily mopped up by big strong defenders like him. Burnley certainly didn’t struggle replacing him. And Leicester didn’t struggle replacing Maguire either.

A smart football club would sell Keane in the current circumstances.

Keane has 2 years left on his deal so we either extend his contract or we should sell.

With Allan and Doucoure we could still play deep and break on the counter providing we signed a rapid right winger and a fast right back.

I like Stones but Gabriel was our first choice and so i think its best we move onto first choices in other positions.

Holgate seems to be the undisputed first choice. He's the one leader in central defence and Branthwaite has shown enough to be one of 4 options for the season.

For the other two centre back squad roles, we have Keane, Mina and....Lewis Gibson.

Since he joined Fleetwood on loan he played 90mins every match and was unbeaten in 10 of 11 games (1st playoff leg losing 4-1).

Hes been highly rated for some time now. Could we go with Holgate + Mina + Gibson + Branthwaite and sell Keane?

We would then have 2 left footers + 2 right footers and be able to bank the £20mil+ for Keane.

Holgate has came out swinging saying we have a point to prove, same old crappy soundbites before we get turned over in our first game and the season folds like a piece of A4. Then we wait for the whole season to end a year later before we go again and repeat.

You can tell he's young and unseasoned in all matters Everton, he will learn.

De Bruyne, Son, Aubemayang, Firmino, Pulisic & Soyuncu are some recent successes from there. Find it odd when people write players off purely because of the league they’re coming from.
It's usually because they love to find a negative, and if they don't know the player, or realise he is actually quite good, then they can just focus on which league they play in rather than think it may be a good signing

While I'm here, I saw a question on the end of a twitter attachment here yesterday. Someone asked do people in any other city than Liverpool
say 'going to the pictures'. Yes, it's what we say in Melbourne although the younger generation are tending towards 'movies'.
I prefer to wait until they come out on the Idiot Box.

If we got a decent, pacy right winger we wouldn't necessarily need an attacking, overlapping fullback and could try to find someone who just defends.

Status
Not open for further replies.