Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good player, would provide a role we need on the wing, can also play wing back in a pinch, has experience playing in Europe, experienced pro who we could easily plug in and wage wise he wouldn't break the bank. I also don't think Celtic would destroy us on a transfer fee either

Worth a punt IMO, especially if we can move the likes of Bolasie and Walcott on. He offers more than them right now and would take up a fraction of the space on the wage bill, freeing us up to focus more on other areas.

Admired him for 2-3 years now and I'd love us to take a chance on him. I'm confident I would be proven correct. I don't put my head on the block often with players from Scotland, but when I do I'm normally right

Mikey, we know you're Caledonophile. I just think he's average at best.

Doucoure with Allan and maybe Gomes in the middle with Richarlison, DCL/Kean and maybe someone like James Forrest up top would make us a different proposition entirely I think

Mikey I like your posts and enjoy the Celts myself but not Forrest please mate.

I can’t decide what type of wide player we need but they have to be able to ball carry with Coleman RB role now becoming more like a RCB at times.

Broken record but Leon Bailey would be wonderful would take pressure off Coleman to go forward like he has to do with Iwobi.

The problem is I don't think we can afford more Kean signings or taking the risk of someone will this young lad be able to perform straight away or not, We kind of need stable players here and now until our finances are a bit better and people on high wages are gone which is why Doucoure is more preferred over some 21/22 high ceiling midfielder. Kean will always split opinions and of course you can voice concerns while still supporting him but I'm personally not gonna look too deep into it he doesn't make an instant impact in his first season even with off field issues.
I suppose my point is more that it should be possible to identify players who you're confident will perform straight away. Obviously you can't guarantee it, but that's the same regardless of age. I was saying this yesterday; it's not asking the club to perform miracles, signing players that nobody has ever heard of for peanuts, just identifying good talent who they think are up to the task. Richarlison is an example of Brands doing it, a good young player with the potential to get much better, but who also has an impact in the short term. We've done it before with players from Lukaku to Fellaini to Cahill. Other clubs have done it better than we have over the last few years though, and it's an area I think we really need to improve on if we're going to push past that 7th/8th bracket.

For me the issue with Kean was just that right away he didn't look ready to play up front on his own in the PL. His game was quite simply not suited to what we were trying to do. It's nothing to do with coming to a new country etc (although i'm not saying that isn't an issue aswell), that was a footballing issue that we really should have been able to identify before he signed.

Mikey I like your posts and enjoy the Celts myself but not Forrest please mate.

I can’t decide what type of wide player we need but they have to be able to ball carry with Coleman RB role now becoming more like a RCB at times.

Broken record but Leon Bailey would be wonderful would take pressure off Coleman to go forward like he has to do with Iwobi.
Fringpong Celtics Dutch rb is raw but could be a cracker his runs from deep are great but he's only about 12 maybe 1 to keep our eyes on

I'm still waiting for Brands to pick up some obscure, never heard of player from Eastern Europe or South America for 5m who turns out to be worth 5 times that in a season. This is what I expected and all we seem to be getting is hugely obvious players we could pick ourselves. C'mon Marcel, surprise us lad

I'm not conflating different things, I'm just making a very general point. As i've already said, the names given are just examples. I'm not saying we should have signed all 6 of the players named, just that they can be used to highlight what I'm getting at.

I think you've also misunderstood the point though, so clearly i'm not making it very well. When I say we could have got Mane and Van Dijk, I obviously don't mean now. And I don't mean when they went to Liverpool either. I mean at the point Southampton got them, they would have been getable for us. They are players who were good enough to go straight into a decent PL team, and who had a very high ceiling for improvement, but were within our price range/pulling power. There are loads of other examples across the league and across Europe, but i'm scared to name any more because people will take it completely literally and tell me why it doesn't apply to that specific player.

The point is simply that we haven't got very good value for money in recent years, either under Martinez, Walsh, or Brands as of yet. I was just agreeing with somebody else that part of that may be because we keep targeting the wrong profile of player, and there may be more value around if we switched our attention to other areas.

I think you made your point perfectly well, do don't worry about that mate!

It is certainly true that most top players at some point would have been available for us. I suppose the frustration would be that in a lot of cases many might have been realistically available for us. Van Dijk the first summer Koeman came, had we have shown the interest in him we did in Koulibaly could have come (or indeed the year before under Martinez). Likewise, we looked closely at Maguire and Robertson and our DOF wanted them. I think had Steve Walsh actually backed himself in the market, and insisted on his signings we'd have been a lot better off. That was probably his biggest flaw.

The final point is a good one. We don't spend money brilliantly. I do think continuity, and quality of manager are very important. Liverpool pre Klopp actually looked a bit like how we do now, wasting copious money all over the place. It's forgotten they finished 2nd, spent about £150m (back when this was a lot) to end up coming abaout 8th. Benteke, Balotelli, Borini, Cissoko, Lambert etc all in the same summer as your Lovren/Lallana/Origi who had flopped at that point. They key turning point was getting in Klopp, who began to turn water into wine for them.

We have a similarly World Class manager now. You could probably make a legitimate argument we have a better manager, and almost certainly a better upgrade of manager for where we sit. If we can have some patience with him, we might slowly start to see some of the good work we have done translate into more profitable recruitment. Thats the hope I suppose!

Status
Not open for further replies.