Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

In England, Szymanski writes, aristocratic boys came up with the shortened terms “rugger” and “soccer” to differentiate between Rugby Football and Association Football. To support this argument, he cites a letter to The New York Times, published in 1905: “It was a fad at Oxford and Cambridge to use “er” at the end of many words, such as foot-er, sport-er, and as Association did not take an “er” easily, it was, and is, sometimes spoken of as Soccer.”
Ha. My grandfather was many things… aristocratic certainly wasn’t one of them

You consider £55mil net spend (per season) since Moshiri took over "big".

I take it that you agree "we should be challenging at the top of the league" -- Moshiri's words, based on £55mil net spend per season.

Meanwhile, those clubs were aiming to catch have squad values which dwarf the overall value of ours.

Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool are 6 clubs who have obliterated our record transfer fee. In some cases for several players each.

If we continue spending £55mil net per season then this is in no way a "big" amount and nor should it lead our owner to claim we "should be challenging at the top of the table" -- based on funds spent.

You wrote our net spend is the 3rd highest. We would need to obliterage the spending of other clubs to even be on a level playing field as Moshiri started off so far behind them.

Just for our 1st eleven we need RB, CB, CM, RF positions covered with top quality...you cant do that with £55mil net spend while others are also improving.
Net spend isn't a magic metric, it doesn't tell you everything just by itself.

For instance:

A) club #1 buys one player for £30m, one player for £25m and sells nobody. Club #1 has a net spend, therefore, of £55m

B) club #2 buys one player for £60m, another one at £40m and one more at £15m. Club #2 also sells six players for £10m each. Club #2 has a net spend of.... £55m.

Net spend means little without context.

Mate, over 5 years we have the 3rd biggest net spend in the biggest league in the world, whether we spent it well or not is a different matter, fact is Mosh HAs backed us, Simple until you try your best to try and twist it with daft stats

"Daft stats" or basic arithmetic?

£220mil net spend over 4 seasons is not a huge amount when other teams were hundreds of millions of value ahead of the club to begin with.

*football you bad yank
I still have a copy of The Boys' Book of Soccer, for 1957 (published in London 1956) a compilation of stories of fact and fiction with features, on amongst other, Stanley Matthews, Sam Bartram, (Charlton goalkeeper and penalty taker - until he missed one). Soccer was a term quite widely used for a long time.

You youngster, you!

There are half a dozen copies available on ebay if you want to buy one. Sorry Mods)

Net spend isn't a magic metric, it doesn't tell you everything just by itself.

For instance:

A) club #1 buys one player for £30m, one player for £25m and sells nobody. Club #1 has a net spend, therefore, of £55m

B) club #2 buys one player for £60m, another one at £40m and one more at £15m. Club #2 also sells six players for £10m each. Club #2 has a net spend of.... £55m.

Net spend means little without context.

Context is straightforward...

Moshiri believes that we should be "challenging at the top of the league" based on a £55mil net spend and apparently we "built a squad" for Ancelotti...

I dont believe either are realistic statements by any stretch of the imagination.

Havent got a subscription.

Sounds to me like the £20/25mil upfront with the rest in bonuses was far too low.

Perhaps weve been quoted £50mil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.