Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty Tex, I've been thinking a bit more about this.

Before we continue further re the bet, I have a couple of points I'd like you to think about - don't rush to answer because I'm genuinely intrigued about the following:

IF Buendia is seen as value for money (at £33m rising to £38m, widely reported) by yourself, taking your above stat targets into account (around 15 goals and assists combined), can I ask:

What return (in terms of stats and assists) would you think would make Iwobi value for money (I'm not suggesting he has been, or ever will be) - we paid £30m for him, didn't we? (Happy to be corrected on the price).

What return (same metrics) would you think would make Doucoure value for money? He was about £22m, yes?

Moving away from our existing squad and looking at some potential transfer targets:

What return (same metrics) would you think would make WBA's Pereira value for money at the widely reported £15m price tag?

I do concede that we aren't comparing positionally identical players but hey, that's life.
I think all of these players are capable of being judged beyond goals and assists. It's a very simplistic view. The answer to the question is very much that it just depends.

Doucoure for example is yes positionally different but also theoretically getting into the box and making an impact in the final third should only be part of his game. So even if he had an absurd year where he scored 7 or 8 goals I think he'd still need to actually be an impactful player in the middle third to some extent. Last season he was one of the worst midfielders when you're talking just the center. He's fine when we're up the field, he's passable in defense, but that middle part he's not a useful ball mover and he gets bypassed a lot too. So what does it matter if he scores here or there is what I'm asking.

I look at someone like Pereira and the honest answer is I have no clue how good he is. The goal scoring number feels like it'll be hard for him to hit again, especially if you're including the penalties so you have to look beyond that and it gets hard because you're playing in an Allardyce team. So for him are we getting anything if he's not having that final third impact? I truly don't know.

And my thing with Iwobi is I'd like to see him put in a position where there can be more to his game than goals and assists. I think people feel I'm saying Iwobi is good or might be good value and I'm really not. What I am saying is since he's part of the team it might be a good idea to get the most from him that we can. On top of that I just think it is time to stop playing Sigurdsson because he's the ultimate in goals and assists that don't mean anything because he has zero impact in a lot of other important areas for midfielder/#10.

I'll still do this bet but part of the reason I rate Buendia, and funnily enough this was the point of the post you originally responded to, is that he's a player who does positive things for a team beyond just his goals and assists. He works hard, presses well, and does a lot of positive work moving the ball up the field. Very much what James did for us in a few games last season where he was the best player on the field despite not having a goal or assist. Which is why I push back on the he flopped in the PL thing, for one 7 assists is nothing to sniff at, we barely have anyone get to that year to year, but also because his play in the middle third was genuinely high level and that matter when you're a midfielder.

So the tl:dr on this is the number of goals and assists acceptable depends on a lot of things and may not really matter so much at all depending on what you're actually asking someone to do. It isn't just position but also their role and beyond that what else they bring.

I think all of these players are capable of being judged beyond goals and assists. It's a very simplistic view. The answer to the question is very much that it just depends.

Doucoure for example is yes positionally different but also theoretically getting into the box and making an impact in the final third should only be part of his game. So even if he had an absurd year where he scored 7 or 8 goals I think he'd still need to actually be an impactful player in the middle third to some extent. Last season he was one of the worst midfielders when you're talking just the center. He's fine when we're up the field, he's passable in defense, but that middle part he's not a useful ball mover and he gets bypassed a lot too. So what does it matter if he scores here or there is what I'm asking.

I look at someone like Pereira and the honest answer is I have no clue how good he is. The goal scoring number feels like it'll be hard for him to hit again, especially if you're including the penalties so you have to look beyond that and it gets hard because you're playing in an Allardyce team. So for him are we getting anything if he's not having that final third impact? I truly don't know.

And my thing with Iwobi is I'd like to see him put in a position where there can be more to his game than goals and assists. I think people feel I'm saying Iwobi is good or might be good value and I'm really not. What I am saying is since he's part of the team it might be a good idea to get the most from him that we can. On top of that I just think it is time to stop playing Sigurdsson because he's the ultimate in goals and assists that don't mean anything because he has zero impact in a lot of other important areas for midfielder/#10.

I'll still do this bet but part of the reason I rate Buendia, and funnily enough this was the point of the post you originally responded to, is that he's a player who does positive things for a team beyond just his goals and assists. He works hard, presses well, and does a lot of positive work moving the ball up the field. Very much what James did for us in a few games last season where he was the best player on the field despite not having a goal or assist. Which is why I push back on the he flopped in the PL thing, for one 7 assists is nothing to sniff at, we barely have anyone get to that year to year, but also because his play in the middle third was genuinely high level and that matter when you're a midfielder.

So the tl:dr on this is the number of goals and assists acceptable depends on a lot of things and may not really matter so much at all depending on what you're actually asking someone to do. It isn't just position but also their role and beyond that what else they bring.

In fairness (to you) we have disagreed on Buendia a bit, but you've always seemed to be consistent that 33-38m is too much.

That being said, if he gets 15 league goals and assists outside of pens that will be a very good return for him and good value for money. I think it's absolutely fair to say that would be a very good return.

If I am guessing, I think he will be under that. I wonder how many goals he will get.

In fairness (to you) we have disagreed on Buendia a bit, but you've always seemed to be consistent that 33-38m is too much.

That being said, if he gets 15 league goals and assists outside of pens that will be a very good return for him and good value for money. I think it's absolutely fair to say that would be a very good return.

If I am guessing, I think he will be under that. I wonder how many goals he will get.
Yes 35m would be right at the top of what I'd be willing to do. I don't blame Villa for doing it though because he fits them well whether Grealish goes or not. The fit here is less clear.

I'll go for 6 goals 10 assists. It's a big ask I'll admit and as I said I think he's going to be useful for them in a lot of other areas regardless.

James hit 6 goals and 4 assists in 1776 mins as a free transfer...

Puts things into perspective a little.

Yes 35m would be right at the top of what I'd be willing to do. I don't blame Villa for doing it though because he fits them well whether Grealish goes or not. The fit here is less clear.

I'll go for 6 goals 10 assists. It's a big ask I'll admit and as I said I think he's going to be useful for them in a lot of other areas regardless.

If he gets anywhere near that, it will be a bargain. Grealish got 6 goals and 12 assists this season.

A couple more footballers I'd like to see Everton sign & their corresponding obligatory youtube highlight reels that contribute to my fantasy that signing them would make us better:

-Lucas Ocampos https://www.transfermarkt.us/lucas-ocampos/profil/spieler/189441

- Davide Calabria https://www.transfermarkt.us/davide-calabria/profil/spieler/262523

- Marcos Senesi https://www.transfermarkt.us/marcos-senesi/profil/spieler/469781

Ocampos has way too much Richarlison in his game for me

Status
Not open for further replies.