Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not convinced by Gordon tbh. I'm not writing him off, but I just don't see the upside that others do, especially when so many had written off Dowell after far less 1st team opportunities and exposure.

The best think I can say about him is he looks busy, but that somehow doesn't equate to hard working.

At the very least, I would say he needs another loan, preferably to a club that puts an emphasis on attacking football, or at the very least, would attempt to rely on him as a creative outlet.

If Norwich are going to cash in on Buendia and/or Cantwell, then that would seem like a good fit, but I genuinely don't see a Premier League side looking at what he currently offers and taking that gamble.
I think he needs a loan at a League 1 club tbh, one that will be chasing promotion, to give him that good exposure to winning and dealing with mens togger. Really we should be doing more loan business with clubs like Blackpool, as our players generally have successful loans there and get played often, just sack off loaning to clubs like Reading. If Blackpool get promoted to the Championship, I'd like to see Simms back there and possibly Gordon or Gibson too.

I think he needs a loan at a League 1 club tbh, one that will be chasing promotion, to give him that good exposure to winning and dealing with mens togger. Really we should be doing more loan business with clubs like Blackpool, as our players generally have successful loans there and get played often, just sack off loaning to clubs like Reading. If Blackpool get promoted to the Championship, I'd like to see Simms back there and possibly Gordon or Gibson too.
If Blackpool get promoted I think they will struggle and therefore not create many chances
I’d like to see Simms go to a Championship team looking for too 6

I wasn't dissing them. Just referring to our lazy journalism.

I think that's a product of technology.

If you think about it, print media has little reason to produce rubbish content. You can sell ads on the extra two pages, or four if it's a broadsheet, but if no one ever reads the ads because the associated content is rubbish then no one will buy the ad space, and you're better off not producing the content in the first place.

On the other hand, electronic media is looking for clicks. Even bad content will get linked, and sometimes readers will misclick on an ad and you'll get revenue from it. It follows that a good paper wants to produce more content than it once did, though it will still have standards, and the result will be a greater supply of lazy, well-written journalism as well as an endless supply of poorly written lazy journalism from outlets with no standards.

What’s the general consensus on Ivan Toney then

Not good enough for a club with champions league aspirations?
I think it is very hard to say. He's been banging them in for a while now at a lower level, he could step up and turn out to be a Darren Huckerby or Michael Chopra or somebody like that who can score a hatful below the elite level but finds the step up too difficult or he could be a late bloomer like Ian Wright or Jamie Vardy and just keep on scoring. The problem is that Brentford will want a big fee for him and so, for me anyway, the risk is probably too high. I'd have said the same about Ollie Watkins though and he's looking like good value, so what do I know?!

I think it is very hard to say. He's been banging them in for a while now at a lower level, he could step up and turn out to be a Darren Huckerby or Michael Chopra or somebody like that who can score a hatful below the elite level but finds the step up too difficult or he could be a late bloomer like Ian Wright or Jamie Vardy and just keep on scoring. The problem is that Brentford will want a big fee for him and so, for me anyway, the risk is probably too high. I'd have said the same about Ollie Watkins though and he's looking like good value, so what do I know?!
I guess the fee depends a lot on whether Brentford get promoted

Think Watkins went for 30 mil so could see a similar price tag for Toney with probably lots of addons

I guess the fee depends a lot on whether Brentford get promoted

Think Watkins went for 30 mil so could see a similar price tag for Toney with probably lots of addons
I agree and that would be my worry, £30m isn't as much as it used to be but it is a lot for a player who has never meaningfully played in the top flight and is 25 years of age. I'm not saying he won't be good, he may well be, but there is a substantial amount of risk in this type of signing. On the other hand his wage demands probably wouldn't be too high. If Brentford don't get promoted somebody will take a punt, that's for sure.

Lost patience with Gomes now, had 2-3 good games since he joined. Needs replacing in the summer.

Gomes & Iwobi need removing completely from our starting squad.
Made and had a few chances when Gomes come on, poor finishing admittedly but was getting in the right positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.