Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must admit to turning off my interest in everything to do with Everton since the fat Spanish waiter's appointment. Not too surprising therefore that I haven't kept anything like up to date with potential transfers in and out.

I've just caught up and even now, without investing much of myself into our fortunes as would normally be the case, I stumble over some of the names linked.

Benitez was notoriously bad in the transfer market - sometimes presiding over a bit of a horror show. Even when with Liverpool, most of their big successes like Gerard and Carragher weren't bought in, some big names already there when he arrived but multiple flops were added.

This parade of names linked with us is like reading about a festival of mediocrity, I can't wait for the day when I can start taking even a modicum of interest in us again - hard times ahead.

I'm only supporting Southport this season - at least they're very poor, but expectation is very low, defeat expected and results will be what they always have been, but at least far more local (for me) and not bothered if they lose again.
Probably see you at Haigh Avenue amigo

How have you got those book prices? Have you taken the max figure incl all clauses?

£28mil rising to £34mil on clauses which hopefully include winning the league.

Incredible when you sit down and go through the players who shouldnt be around the matchday squad if we want to aim for top 6.

The wages are amazing. There must surely be players we can do deals on to leave.

There was alot of fanfare on here when we signed him...

@MikelsGoat was championing him and taught me what "fam" meant at the time.

Another of @MikelsGoat favourites is of course Gomes and notable Delph seemed a good signing to him.

On an even darker note, what a dreadfully boring and depressing summer window this is.

Not sure if there are clauses, if there are i dont know what they are. Clauses are included in the accounts and thus count for the profit and sustainability rules and amortisation. For accounting purposes he is 34 million as applied to our compliance to profit and sustainability. Jointly his wages and amortisation comes in at 10.96 liability a year - essentially what he costs us per year.

I think you need to consider how financially hamstrung we are when making judgements.

Also, I’m absolutely certain we are making moves to sell players, but its a buyers market at present. We can’t afford to sell at any price. Selling Kean for £20m will probably not generate a transfer kitty, it will only plug the financial hole. We neecc do to get as much as we can for him.

Keane mate...not Kean ;)

No mate, that is not how business works, much as the doomsayers try and tell you, billionaires do not hire managers to flatline, it is utter nonsense. It is getting like tin hat brigade in here with this conspiracy crap

I feel sorry for anyone who actually believes Benitez job is to finish mid-table. Billionaires do not operate that way.

You got a lot to learn

Anyway, back on topic

Once again, that is not how business works. His interview will have been him and the chairman saying they want to finish as high as possible and win things.I am not saying he will achieve it btw, just that that will be the aim. Do you honestly think he was told to finish mid table and he agreed? Honestly, the guff people spout on this board.

I happen to know one or two billionaires and am well versed in how their companies are run and who theyve appointed to run them.

If you think all billionaires / wealthy people only seek to improve each business they own year on year (as would seem logical) then im afraid you are incorrect :)

We dont actually know what Moshiri is thinking...you could be right but equally you may be wrong.

We also got 59 points last season, with a horrendous home record (which will almost certainly improve relative to a drop off in away form). As things stand we have Gbamin back who (apologies for a cliche) is like a new signing, and maybe Moise Kean in too. We also have 2 wide midfield players with pace so that's one area of the pitch improved. As of speaking today, we shouldn't be getting lower than 60 points, which would normally have us finishing 7th.

That's not to say there aren't problems with the squad as clearly there are, but the idea it's woeful seems overly negative to me. This is the squad who a lot of people felt needs to be in the top 6 if not top 4 last season, and at present it has been improved. They haven't become a bad squad in the last few weeks.

The one area of concern I have is at right back. It's the one area of the pitch that wasn't good enough last season, and the incumbent (Coleman) will only be getting worse giving his age (he is 30+). I wonder if Godfrey should get a run in that position if we cannot bring anyone in?

On the right hand side of midfield, I have seen enough from Townsend and Gray to make me think they are an improvement on what we had last season. I'd love another one in, but the most pressing area is right back. Likewise, the re-emergence of Gbamin, with Doucoure, Allan and an improved Davies leads me to think we are ok in central midfield too. And by Ok, I don't mean fantastic, but it's ok.

In a strange way though, the low expectation might suit us. I don't think as a club we have handled expectation well for most of my lifetime. Even the cup win in 95 was downplayed by the manager as a secondary achievement to staying up. I think the manager we have will not mind low expectations and might allow us to fly under the radar.

Benitez has only lost Bernard.

Added Kean, Gbamin, Townsend, Gray and Begovic since last season.

His target has to be over 60pts.

I do think Kean will be sold as well as one of the centre backs and a centre midfielder or two.

I also think we will make one decent sized signing.

See this is a problem. DOF wants Dumfries but Benitez doesn't - guarantee the fat waiter is being stubborn and he's the one pushing for player with PL experience.

Tim: Clubs like Liverpool get to offload dross for decent fees because their global brand is so strong other clubs tend to over-rate their cast-offs. We simply do not have that advantage. We believed PSG would pony up for Kean but they see our weak position & look to exploit it to force a loan on their terms. The players we might be able to sell (Richarlison, DCL) we would struggle to replace without spending big money & wages.

Brands, Benitez et al are very experienced. They know the market. They understand their options. We can sit here and say they should do X or Y but we need to be humble enough to realise that if they don’t it is most probably not because they are ‘useless’ but is because the real world market conditions, as opposed to our fantasy scenarios, did not allow it.

As for current ambition level. I suspect Benitez has been tasked to have us in the conversation for Europa League via league or a cup with mid-table security as the minimum acceptable. If the latter is what we achieve he will get a second season. IMO, he will only be in danger if we look at genuine risk of relegation.

you don’t have to like Benitez, but to suggest he was a total flop in the transfer market is a bit disingenuous. What manager doesn’t have transfers that don’t work out?

Amongst the rubbish purchases Benitez may have sanctioned, he also brought in Xavi Alonso, Torres, Agger, Kuyt, Reina, and Mascherano. If we unearth the same level of dross I’d be happy.
Other than maybe Agger (and even he was a Danish International who they paid 6M for) I would say that none of these players were "unearthed"

They were already good players who he paid good money for. Nothing wrong with that either but they were not hidden gems or anything.

Regardless of everyone's opinion about how good, bad Gylfi is....... We are going to have to find someone else who can score 5-8 goals a season to replace him. Doesn't sound much does it, but its a lot when your defenders and midfielders are contributing such a poor return for goals over the season.

0_Jonjo-Shelvey.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.