Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a 15 mill pound player we bought for close to 30 mill. It wasn't his fault we paid that amount for him but it was madness. He was a decent enough player before the injury and did work hard which he didint get much credit for.
Was a shocking buy at the time. 30mil for a player that averaged 3/4 goals a season. And it wasn’t like he was getting double figure assists every season.

Keane scored as many as Sigurdsson from open play last season.

Digne doesn’t score as many as he should, he should be good for 2 a season. He needs to shoot more.

Digne has the quality to be scoring at least 4/5 a season and I always think centre halves should be good for 3/4 each.

We are just such a poor side all round lacking in aggression and imagination.

….I know we all have players we don’t particularly take to, but Sigurdsson has been a starter for a succession of managers. I don’t think that qualifies him to be our worst signing.

Tosun and Bolasie came in for big money & don’t play, Delph and Bernard also on big bucks with no contribution.

I think that’s partly the reason why he’s been such a disastrous signing. The need to try and shoehorn him into the team has been more detrimental to us than anything else. Started nearly every game for 4 years and I would estimate he’s had 12-15 good games for us. A lot of the time he’s completely broken us as an attacking unit because he’s so slow and it takes him so long to bring a pass under control and get the ball out from under his spaghetti legs. Godawful player.

This. Also, the position he plays is utterly vital. The whole attacking structure of a side is built around a playmaker; he was brought in as a number 10 and he's absolutely terrible. He's set us back 5 years due to the fee he cost and how bad he is.

He's hands down our worst ever signing IMO, as in the signing who set back the club the most. And that was even before the... erm... stuff. There's been worse players in terms of pure ability we've signed, but none as harmful as him.

Must admit to turning off my interest in everything to do with Everton since the fat Spanish waiter's appointment. Not too surprising therefore that I haven't kept anything like up to date with potential transfers in and out.

I've just caught up and even now, without investing much of myself into our fortunes as would normally be the case, I stumble over some of the names linked.

Benitez was notoriously bad in the transfer market - sometimes presiding over a bit of a horror show. Even when with Liverpool, most of their big successes like Gerard and Carragher weren't bought in, some big names already there when he arrived but multiple flops were added.

This parade of names linked with us is like reading about a festival of mediocrity, I can't wait for the day when I can start taking even a modicum of interest in us again - hard times ahead.

I'm only supporting Southport this season - at least they're very poor, but expectation is very low, defeat expected and results will be what they always have been, but at least far more local (for me) and not bothered if they lose again.

you don’t have to like Benitez, but to suggest he was a total flop in the transfer market is a bit disingenuous. What manager doesn’t have transfers that don’t work out?

Amongst the rubbish purchases Benitez may have sanctioned, he also brought in Xavi Alonso, Torres, Agger, Kuyt, Reina, and Mascherano. If we unearth the same level of dross I’d be happy.

you don’t have to like Benitez, but to suggest he was a total flop in the transfer market is a bit disingenuous. What manager doesn’t have transfers that don’t work out?

Amongst the rubbish purchases Benitez may have sanctioned, he also brought in Xavi Alonso, Torres, Agger, Kuyt, Reina, and Mascherano. If we unearth the same level of dross I’d be happy.
Yeah it’s dead easy to play that game, you could make a case Moyes was horrible in the transfer market when you throw out Drenthe, Van De Meyde, Beattie, Kroldrup and forget about Cahill, Arteta, Fellaini and Baines!
Also transfers isn’t Benitez’ job to make happen, that’s Brands.

All parties would be over the moon if we are sniffing around 7th by April. That's my thinking.

What the holes we have, its difficult but not at all impossible, and we shouldn't fall into believing all we are good enough for is 10th or 11th.

We haven't lost anyone we would have trouble replacing, and the signings that have come in will offer more than the deadwood we can or cannot shift.

With improved fitness, organisation, and a bit of luck with injuries plus another couple of signings by whatever means possible, we could have a relatively decent season with something to build on.

West Ham got sixth after all.

We also got 59 points last season, with a horrendous home record (which will almost certainly improve relative to a drop off in away form). As things stand we have Gbamin back who (apologies for a cliche) is like a new signing, and maybe Moise Kean in too. We also have 2 wide midfield players with pace so that's one area of the pitch improved. As of speaking today, we shouldn't be getting lower than 60 points, which would normally have us finishing 7th.

That's not to say there aren't problems with the squad as clearly there are, but the idea it's woeful seems overly negative to me. This is the squad who a lot of people felt needs to be in the top 6 if not top 4 last season, and at present it has been improved. They haven't become a bad squad in the last few weeks.

The one area of concern I have is at right back. It's the one area of the pitch that wasn't good enough last season, and the incumbent (Coleman) will only be getting worse giving his age (he is 30+). I wonder if Godfrey should get a run in that position if we cannot bring anyone in?

On the right hand side of midfield, I have seen enough from Townsend and Gray to make me think they are an improvement on what we had last season. I'd love another one in, but the most pressing area is right back. Likewise, the re-emergence of Gbamin, with Doucoure, Allan and an improved Davies leads me to think we are ok in central midfield too. And by Ok, I don't mean fantastic, but it's ok.

In a strange way though, the low expectation might suit us. I don't think as a club we have handled expectation well for most of my lifetime. Even the cup win in 95 was downplayed by the manager as a secondary achievement to staying up. I think the manager we have will not mind low expectations and might allow us to fly under the radar.

Regardless of everyone's opinion about how good, bad Gylfi is....... We are going to have to find someone else who can score 5-8 goals a season to replace him. Doesn't sound much does it, but its a lot when your defenders and midfielders are contributing such a poor return for goals over the season.

Probably James too. We are gonna be in trouble next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.