Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I imagine a back-up striker is more of a priority than another winger. Unless Simms is capable of stepping up, both Broadhead and Kean don’t look good enough.
Any reason you think Simms can't step up? He's scored plenty, and had a good loan last season. From other posts, not sure you rate him.
You are far more knowledgeable than I, so this is just an honest question?

2005 - almost went out in the group stage to Olympiakos, had a very dubious call go their way in the semis against Chelsea and Milan stepped off the gas majorly at 3-0 in the final.

2006 - were 3-1 down in the third round at a then League One Luton before the hosts bottled it, poor in the final and lucky West Ham lost their nerves at 2-0 and 3-2 up

2007 - lucky to scrape by Barca in the last 16, should have lost by more in the first leg of the Chelsea semi and outclassed by Milan in the final. Conceded 9 in 2 cup ties against Arsenal at the Pit

2009 - lost the title by 4 points despite picking up 31 out of 33 points in the run in, including battering eventual champions United because of dropping silly points to City and a soon to be relegated Middlesbrough before that late run
So England didn't win the world cup because no one knows if it crossed the line? You don't like him. Fine. You don't rate him. Fine. All of these arguments are just dumb though.

So England didn't win the world cup because no one knows if it crossed the line? You don't like him. Fine. You don't rate him. Fine. All of these arguments are just dumb though.
Most of his success is on coming out on the right side of cup matches so maybe he's never been that good is an interesting point

You don’t think the money spent was excessive to win nothing? Because that’s what his “outstanding” side did.
I think he was unfairly sacked a year after the 2nd place finish. No, if you ask Liverpool fans, there's not many saying 'bloody hell, he spent too much that Benitez fella'. That's not normally the first thing they say. He bought a load of outstanding players, got to two CL finals, finished second in the league and won the FA cup. I'd say that is outstanding. Remember, he took over a bang average team.

View attachment 134533

4 out of 15 of these (Torres, Kuyt, Mascherano, Alonso) were good signings.

Yikes.
In what world was Higuain not a good signing for Napoli?

Higuain and Kovacic (although wasnt a starter at Madrid) were good signings...

If you go through the 20 pages though its mindblowing anyone can praise Benitez lol

He was known at the RS to be a chequebook manager and the amount of players he bought and sold (or couldnt sell) was outrageous.

Cant believe this is even being discussed...hes 9/10 times an awful judge of a player.

I notice you have left Newcastle off the list of examples you have given. He signed a barrel load of crap for the barcodes.
He has made nearly 500 signings, you want to focus on 24 of them.

My point still stands..... he has made a lot of good signings and, the more I look at the list. the more impressive it gets.

I tell you what, you look at the crap ones to fit your agenda, I will look at the rest.

I think he was unfairly sacked a year after the 2nd place finish. No, if you ask Liverpool fans, there's not many saying 'bloody hell, he spent too much that Benitez fella'. That's not normally the first thing they say. He bought a load of outstanding players, got to two CL finals, finished second in the league and won the FA cup. I'd say that is outstanding. Remember, he took over a bang average team.

Of course Liverpool fans are going to brush his mistakes under the carpet, he won a champions league for them, however fortuitous it was. But this is a conversation specifically about his signings. He left an absolute mess of a squad behind him despite spending a king’s ransom.

Status
Not open for further replies.