Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far then: A slew of contracts terminated - none of those players were likely to offer a great deal going forward.

IN - Gray, Townsend, Begovic
OUT - Bernard, Delph

It doesn't get the pulse rating but, since the departures were no big deal and the 2 players transferred out nothing to get upset about there is at least the vague hope that these 3 arrivals are something of an upgrade. I suspect Demarai Gray just didn't enjoy his time in isolation (probably in a hotel) in Germany. Doesn't mean he can't recapture his Leicester best. Townsend is decent and Begovic a fair back-up. Nothing flashy so far but at least a little bit positive.

Delph hasnt gone ?

But like I’ve said apart from Richarlison the rest are bottom half prem players. We need another top class wide player/striker.

I know Richarlison only got 7 goals season and didn’t have a great season, but if Townsend,gray and iwobi got 7. It would be the season of their lives. The problem is Richarlison is under no pressure to perform he plays every game. There were games last season that DCL amd Richarlison were poor, but ancelotti kept them on the pitch. Because we had nobody who could change anything.

Ok gray & Townsend would give us some pace and energy in them last 30mins off the bench, but they both lack quality.
We really need another attacker who is top quality.

….I never get these ‘bottom half premier player‘ or ‘Championship player’ shouts. Sometimes a player is just what a team needs, regardless of where they have come from. It’s about blend and partnerships. Wayne Clarke and Paul Power joined us from humble backgrounds and were crucial in us winning a title. That’s an aside.

We desperately needed wingers and we’ve brought two in. Yes, they are underwhelming but I expect both will be more effective than Bernard. I’m not defending the purchases, only time will tell on how good they are, but I assume we won’t bring more in. Just my assumption, I might be wrong but I expect other positions to be filled next.

….I never get these ‘bottom half premier player‘ or ‘Championship player’ shouts. Sometimes a player is just what a team needs, regardless of where they have come from. It’s about blend and partnerships. Wayne Clarke and Paul Power joined us from humble backgrounds and were crucial in us winning a title. That’s an aside.

We desperately needed wingers and we’ve brought two in. Yes, they are underwhelming but I expect both will be more effective than Bernard. I’m not defending the purchases, only time will tell on how good they are, but I assume we won’t bring more in. Just my assumption, I might be wrong but I expect other positions to be filled next.
Absolutely spot on Eggs, similar to the ‘bargain basement’ and OAP shouts, our last true success was built on OAP’s and players brought in for pennies. If they work (like power, clarke et al) worked, it is declared shrewd transfer business. If it doesn’t work, they have cost us pennies anyway, so whats not to like? Add a quality RB and a midfield general, add a few more to the binned list and I will be quite satisfied with our business.

You need it to sound less "heard it down the pub" than this.

Something like:

'Rumours about us going after free agent Samir Nasri as backup to Rodriguez'

That would get the sheets wet.
Isn't the proper rumour format "just seen [insert player name] at the cash machine in West Derby"?

Big difference signing players like Clarke & power when you’re one of the best 2 teams in the country. Power had a great season in 87 and Clarke scored some very important goals. But you could argue the players we signed in 87/88 started our downfall, while Liverpool were signing the likes of Barnes and Beardsley.

Townsend has probably finished in the bottom half of the league all his career. Apart from his early days at Spurs. Gray, bit part at a Leicester team that after winning the league, they finished 12th, 9th and 9th. It’s not hard to work out what these players are. I have no issues signing these as cheap back up squad players.

But if one of these is a regular on the right amd the other plays on the left, while we wait for Richarlison to get back. It will be another 10th 12th finish.

We 'got rinsed' for Kean? o_O believe the consensus at the time was that it was a great deal....
Depends how you look at it. We paid £28mil for a striker who scored I think two goals in his first season with us before buggering off to Paris where he hopes to go again.
That’s not really the point of my post though, point is we have overspent on a lot of transfers and if people think we’re skint that’s a good thing for our negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.