It isn't though - say we bring in the following:

Coady
Tarkowi
Onana
Gana
Maupay
Adams
Terrier

Or we signed 2-3 "bigger" name players - the squad is much weaker and if one or two of those "bigger name" players get injured it means Gomes and Keane still playing every week.

We simply needed way too many positions to strenghen this summer its naive to think we could have spent £200+ millions on CL quality players and managed what we have done.
Let’s face it, at the end of last season I think everyone would have accepted a squad overhaul. Maybe not the most fashionable names but maybe a squad that is better in the some of its parts than the individuals

Yeah, I’m reaching…..

Sell Gordon, go in properly for Terrier. See if we can get a loan for Broja as part of the Gordon deal. Explore the possibility of Moffi. If we are going to sign an older player, go for Guirassy, whose profile fits a lot of what we need.

If we want to take a punt on an English-based striker with a poor goal return then explore Semenyo as he does have a lot of good attributes and is still a decent age. If we can't get any of them, see if we can get that loan deal for Ajorque over the line (as it wouldn't be a permanent transfer).

These are just with forwards we have been properly linked with. Maupay and Adams are easily the worst that we have been genuinely linked with - haven't seen enough of the Coventry lad to comment.
Maupay is well better than Guirassy and Ajorque.

Actually i have no idea, I would suggest nobody else does either unless they are watching some pretty niche French football.

Completely different types of striker though.

I have no confidence in our club but one would have to assume some attacking players would be incoming if dele and Gordon are leaving already a crazy squad deficit even before richie left
Even if it’s just Dele that leaves. That’s another attacking option down. There has to be a few attacking signings in the pipeline.

It isn't though - say we bring in the following:

Coady
Tarkowi
Onana
Gana
Maupay
Adams
Terrier

Or we signed 2-3 "bigger" name players - the squad is much weaker and if one or two of those "bigger name" players get injured it means Gomes and Keane still playing every week.

We simply needed way too many positions to strenghen this summer its naive to think we could have spent £200+ millions on CL quality players and managed what we have done.
But it just comes back to it. There are no goals in that side. 3 forward players in your list: McNeil, Adams and Maupay are terrible at doing that and are not likely to be helped out with goals from the other areas of the team. That puts everything on Terrier (who is brilliant), but he would need to be topping 20 goals in his debut season (unlikely) to keep that mess of a side up. Especially as we know we cannit rely on FCL to stay fit and in terms of good performances, has had a handful since the end of his purple patch under Carlo.

If that is what we end up with, we go down. We will win very few games and will lose a lot by the odd goal.

There is so much better out there. We need our scouts and recruitment team to find them.

We need a striker. Not someone who can also come in from the wing or “can operate anywhere across the front line” as is the trendy phrase. That just means when your real strikers are fit, they can play LW if you are really desperate.

We need a proper, fit, fast, strong, tall skilful striker that is utterly shambolic at being a winger.

If we need a winger too, buy a winger too.

Can understand why we had to sell Richy.

Can understand why we’d accept 50m for Gordon.

Can understand why we’ve binned Dele.

Can understand why loans were good for Simms and Dobbin.

The combined effect of all these understandable decisions on the squad is pretty scary though. Helluva job now to get forwards in the door and knit them together.

Should be all over this

I've not watched him play. Why is there reason to believe that he will perform much better than many of the Championship strikers who have come before him? I mean in fairness Maupay and Adams tore up the Championship too and nobody seems to want them.

Not on a wind up, genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.