Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
£20 million doesn't buy you alot nowadays. I think he'd be worth the gamble myself.
I agree that prices have gone mad but Watford literally bought that same player for £3 million less than a year ago. They took a gamble on Richarlison when they got him for £11 mil and we ended up paying 35-40 mil for him. They paid £10 mil for Doucoure and we doubled their money a few seasons later.

£20 million just doesn't buy a lot for the people in charge of Everton's transfers because we're absolutely terrible at spending it.

Does the name Sandro Ramirez mean nothing to you?
Are we going to go through every success and failure? Soucek, Coufal, Mahrez, Kante, Gana was originally from Lille etc

Im certain theirs better value to be had around the world, rather than wasting 20mill on the likes of Harry Winks

When it's being used as a beating stick purely down to goals scored etc, then yet.

Many times when Richarlison signed when posters were crying about his lack of goals it was mentioned he hadnt had a break for 18months + had moved from Brazil straight.

Also his heat map showed him as effectively a 2nd left back, basically defensive midfield on the left flank.

Compare that with Dennis whose scored and done well for 2.5 months in his entire career. Nothing internationally....scored his goals mostly at centre forward.

Night & Day.

Plus the player had clear attitude problems at 2 clubs, maybe 3.

Is anyone else concerned whether we've got staff with the credentials in the club to manage the transfer market in such a vital summer?

Kevin Thewell was academy manager at Derby, then Wolves wasn't he? He stuck around at Wolves for a while, and become their Director of Football. But was he ever really a Director of Football at Wolves? Didn't Jorges Mendes run the show there?

Frank Lampard - how did he do at derby and Chelsea?

At Derby, he had a bit of a shocker from what I've read;

Derby: "Lampard spent big money, relatively speaking, during his time at Derby and it is telling that so many of his signings left on free transfers at the end of their Pride Park deals". You can read this assessment here, pretty much all the transfers are 'MISS' https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sp...ws/derby-county-transfer-news-lampard-3969688

And Chelsea, it sounds like he was very passive. He says he was never out of the loop on transfers, and mentions Ben Chilwell as the player he wanted;

Chelsea: Asked what would happen if he had tried to veto a transfer, Lampard told Sky Sports' The Overlap : "It never happened in that way.

"But I would probably have had that veto, if I'm honest. In that first year, we were transfer banned, we were having conversations about who to bring in in the summer - we obviously bought a fair few players.

"I was never out of the loop on that, it was never one where I was like, 'They did this behind my back!' I never had that because it was very open.

"The scouting department with Petr [Cech, technical and performance advisor]... Timo was a big one because Liverpool had wanted him, Manchester United I think were in.

"We knew there were three or four other big clubs, so when I had the conversation with Timo I knew I had to be on my game to get him to come."

"In terms of the signings, I was happy. Ben Chilwell was a big one that I wanted, I had to try... as a left-back, I wanted a player of his qualities."

Vlasic produced a masterclass at the Bernabau with CSKA and absolutely struggled at West Ham this season.

He had a strong start did Dennis, but then finished with 2 goals in his last 17 games. For £20m, you'd think we'd be able to find better elsewhere, or at least someone who could match it.
Thing about the apparent drop-off in the second half of the season is the team as a whole were clearly playing poorly and had changed managers.
Can’t fully exonerate him for being part of a relegated side obviously but the ability he exhibited in that pre Christmas period was mouthwatering.
I would also prefer us to acquire a previously overlooked or upcoming talent for less money but at this stage we can only really discuss players we have been linked to.
I’d much prefer this lad to the Burnley trumpet or his snail paced compadre.

Status
Not open for further replies.