Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying Sigurdsson was brilliant by any means, but the obsession with ignoring set plays is dead weird

We were great at set pieces last year and have been pretty terrible this year. A lot of that is because our delivery has been nowhere near as good. The standard of the corners that Gray and Gordon put in has drove me mad this year.
Set plays are like 15% to 20% of the goals a team scores and tend to swing wildly from year to year. You can't build a strategy on set plays. Open play is where the money is made.

Why has he never played for a good side in his career?
I don't think Gylfi is a great player - far from it - and he had his many flaws, but the blind ignorance of the positives he did offer by some bemuses me.

Are we a better side this year without him? I'd argue we're not. He was slow and frustrating, although he was cool on the ball, linked play and did contribute.

I can teach a parrot to repeat stats like @TheBigIguana, yet it doesn't mean the parrot would have an actual clue about football, like @TheBigIguana.

Christ, yeah, who needs any of that final third production, massively overrated that.
Well we have Richarlison who gives us nothing but that, also DCL. You need midfield play too mate. If you want Sigurdsson in the team as purely a forward fine, I don't, and he can't be classified as a midfielder.

I don't think Gylfi is a great player - far from it - and he had his many flaws, but the blind ignorance of the positives he did offer by some bemuses me.

Are we a better side this year without him? I'd argue we're not. He was slow and frustrating, although he was cool on the ball, linked play and did contribute.

I can teach a parrot to repeat stats like @TheBigIguana, yet it doesn't mean the parrot would have an actual clue about football, like @TheBigIguana.
I wouldn't say the cause of our downfall is Sigurdsson being gone. Feel free to draw that conclusion if you'd like.

Yeah most of our midfieldera don't do those things. The difference is they don't create or score either.
I imagine Allan could score or assist 1 in 4 if he hung out around the edge of the box for 75 minutes each week, thankfully he decides to do other things. Doucoure actually is Sigurdsson with athleticism and yeah Gylfi is better, but what a terrible standard.

We’ve been missing many key players this year to be fair. Digne’s drop off in form coincided with a massive drop off in our overall performances and that was last season while Sigurdsson was still playing. The lack of Mina at the back has meant our defence has fell to pieces. If Sigurdsson had been available this season, with all the other issues we had still persisting I do not think we’d be much better off at all. We’ve scored pretty much all of our pens anyway so I don’t think our goal tally would have been particularly higher with his contributions, he’d probably have the same output as Iwobi in that sense.

We’ve been missing many key players this year to be fair. Digne’s drop off in form coincided with a massive drop off in our overall performances and that was while Sigurdsson was still playing. The lack of Mina at the back has meant our defence has fell to pieces. If Sigurdsson had been available this season, with all the other issues we had still persisting I do not think we’d be much better off at all. We’ve scored pretty much all of our pens so I don’t think his goal tally would be particularly high, he’d probably have the same output as Iwobi in that sense.
Richarlison and DCL both missed double digit games, and Dom imo isn't even close to the level of fitness he's shown in the past still.

He sure was cool on the ball, in the sense that he rarely did anything threatening with it. Most games it was like playing with 10 men, especially if he didn't get his set piece delivery right or score a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.