Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would snap your hand off for Lingard right now. We have Rondon, Gordon and Iwobi starting games. This guy walks into the side.
The Lingard who played well for four months on loan at WHU, or the Lingard who's done absolutely nothing for several years at Man U?

If he's available on loan in January, I suspect he'll go back to WHU. If he's only available on a permanent then no thanks, not interested.

The Lingard who played well for four months on loan at WHU, or the Lingard who's done absolutely nothing for several years at Man U?

If he's available on loan in January, I suspect he'll go back to WHU. If he's only available on a permanent then no thanks, not interested.

Either version improves us (sad but true). I suspect we would get the former though given he’ll want to try and get to the World Cup.

Either version improves us (sad but true). I suspect we would get the former though given he’ll want to try and get to the World Cup.
Interesting point of view.

I disagree that EITHER version improves us. The loan version, with the immediate carrot of WC squad selection? Yes, that provides something useful from January to the end of this season and carries no real financial risk. And even in our current precarious financial position I suspect we can cover some of his wages.

The permanent transfer however has a massive downside, which will outlast the positives: the player will want a three- or four-year contract, on a fat wedge. His age alone is a reason not to do this, but add to that his obvious inclination to coast the moment he's got job security I would be far too worried that from August 2022 onwards he'd just revert to type. Plus we'd have to pay a fee, and we have almost no wiggle room to do so.

Look at the years of nothing Lingard has delivered at Utd. His entire career has been nothing, other than four decent months at WHU. We'd be buying an older Alex Iwobi and paying him more than Iwobi just to put Iwobi on the bench so we can watch Lingard impersonate Iwobi on the pitch. Why on earth pay a fee for that?

Last edited:

I disagree that EITHER version improves us. The loan version, with the immediate carrot of WC squad selection? Yes, that provides something useful.

The permanent transfer however has a massive downside, which will outlast the positives: the player will want a three- or four-year contract, on a fat wedge. His age alone is a reason not to do this, but add to that his obvious inclination to coast the moment he's got job security I would be far too worried that from August 2022 onwards he'd just revert to type.

Look at the years of nothing Lingard has delivered at Utd. His entire career has been nothing, other than four decent months at WHU. We'd be buying an older Alex Iwobi and paying him more than Iwobi just to put Iwobi on the bench so we can watch Lingard impersonate Iwobi on the pitch.

He doesnt get in ahead of Gray or Richarlison so hes then played on the right wing instead of Townsend.

Is Lingard a £100k a week + £15mil fee better than Townsend = Not for me.

Id rather bring someone in at the age of DCL, Richarlison and Gray or someone a bit younger.

The current squad was bought for c£372m.

The 12 good players I have highlighted previously cost c£199m which means the deadwood in our squad cost us c£173m. Plus we have made losses on these guys:-

McCarthy -£10.8m
Kone -£6.3m
Niasse -£16.1m
Bolasie -£26m
Schneiderlin -£18.7m
Williams -£12.6m
Klaassen -£12.2m
Walcott -£20.3m

So you can see why we are in the mess we are in..... We did make some sizable and suprising gains as well too though:-

Stones £46.9m
Naismith £9.9m
Lukaku £44.41m
Cleverley £8.3m
Gueye £19.3m
Vlasic £11m
Onyekuru £5m

Obviously the big question is how much is the deadwood in our squad we paid £172m worth now? How much can we get for them? Most are likely to go on free transfer after their contracts have run down......
And there you have it. They will go on a free. We blew our chance.
We’re back where we started.

He doesnt get in ahead of Gray or Richarlison so hes then played on the right wing instead of Townsend.

Is Lingard a £100k a week + £15mil fee better than Townsend = Not for me.

Id rather bring someone in at the age of DCL, Richarlison and Gray or someone a bit younger.

We don’t have anyone that can really play behind the striker - and that is the formation we are playing.

I disagree that EITHER version improves us. The loan version, with the immediate carrot of WC squad selection? Yes, that provides something useful from January to the end of this season and carries no real financial risk. And even in our current precarious financial position I suspect we can cover some of his wages.

The permanent transfer however has a massive downside, which will outlast the positives: the player will want a three- or four-year contract, on a fat wedge. His age alone is a reason not to do this, but add to that his obvious inclination to coast the moment he's got job security I would be far too worried that from August 2022 onwards he'd just revert to type. Plus we'd have to pay a fee, and we have almost no wiggle room to do so.

Look at the years of nothing Lingard has delivered at Utd. His entire career has been nothing, other than four decent months at WHU. We'd be buying an older Alex Iwobi and paying him more than Iwobi just to put Iwobi on the bench so we can watch Lingard impersonate Iwobi on the pitch. Why on earth pay a fee for that?
The standards at United skew it. He's been better there than he's given credit for. He's also never ever going to hit the form he did at Wham again. He's somewhere in the middle but ultimately it would be a pointless signing.

Golden boy nominees, interesting to see the boy from Brugge were linked with named here:

Karim Adeyemi (RB Salzburg), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund) Eduardo Camavinga (Real Madrid), Charles De Ketelaere ( FC Brugge), Gavi (Barcelona), Bryan Gil (Tottenham) Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax), Mason Greenwood (Manchester United), Daniel Maldini (AC Milan), Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich), Nuno Mendes (PSG), Pedri (Barcelona), Roberto Piccoli (Atalanta), Yeremi Pino (Villarreal), Giovanni Reyna (Borussia Dortmund), Rodrygo (Real Madrid), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), William Saliba (Marseille), Jurrien Timber (Ajax), Florian Wirtz (Bayer Leverkusen)

Now that made me chuckle. To quote the current favourite quote ; ' sad but true':
Well put @Tree13.

Golden boy nominees, interesting to see the boy from Brugge were linked with named here:

Karim Adeyemi (RB Salzburg), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund) Eduardo Camavinga (Real Madrid), Charles De Ketelaere ( FC Brugge), Gavi (Barcelona), Bryan Gil (Tottenham) Ryan Gravenberch (Ajax), Mason Greenwood (Manchester United), Daniel Maldini (AC Milan), Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich), Nuno Mendes (PSG), Pedri (Barcelona), Roberto Piccoli (Atalanta), Yeremi Pino (Villarreal), Giovanni Reyna (Borussia Dortmund), Rodrygo (Real Madrid), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), William Saliba (Marseille), Jurrien Timber (Ajax), Florian Wirtz (Bayer Leverkusen)
I'd spend whatever it took to get Wirtz not that he'd actually come here

Status
Not open for further replies.