Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To answer the question though, I think Dowell, Ryan Ledson, Liam Walsh, Baningime and Lewis Gibson off the top of my head have all completely stalled in their development once they reached U23 level and all could’ve become decent players for us with better coaching. Definitely Dowell, what a waste that was, very talented lad at 17/18.

Ledson and Walsh were never Everton first team level, Gibson has never looked good to me. Dowell is talented enough but he also ghosted out of games constantly growing up. Hence he's now 24 and still can't start for bottom side Norwich.

Ledson and Walsh were never Everton first team level, Gibson has never looked good to me. Dowell is talented enough but he also ghosted out of games constantly growing up. Hence he's now 24 and still can't start for bottom side Norwich.

Yeah agreed with all of that, none of them were first team ready, which is why I’m not putting the blame at the door of the managers for not playing them. None of them were brought up to the level where they were good enough to even be a squad player for our first team, yet they were clearly all talented as youngsters. It’s a failure of our youth coaches that none of these players seem to be able to improve past the age of 17.

Yeah agreed with all of that, none of them were first team ready, which is why I’m not putting the blame at the door of the managers for not playing them. None of them were brought up to the level where they were good enough to even be a squad player for our first team, yet they were clearly all talented as youngsters. It’s a failure of our youth coaches that none of these players seem to be able to improve past the age of 17.

I don't know if many people thought they were one day going to play for us. I mean even back then, to me, Davies was at Ledson/Walsh level and he's now apparently League One level.

People just need to realise our academy isn't that good and hasn't been for years outside the odd undeniable talent.

I don't know if many people thought they were one day going to play for us. I mean even back then, to me, Davies was at Ledson/Walsh level and he's now apparently League One level.

People just need to realise our academy isn't that good and hasn't been for years outside the odd undeniable talent.
Very few premier league clubs develop players from academy level to first team level consistently. It’s why we all spunk big transfer fees on talent like Iwobi.
Give us more Sean Pennington and Jonjoe Kenny’s I say.

Mad that both him and Thierry Small left for nothing because they didn't see a clear enough pathway to first team football. Another absolutely damning verdict on Unsworth and his bunch of cronies looking after the academy.
Would it be the fault of Unsworth if there wasn't a clear path for a player to the first team?

Does he pick who plays in the first team?

To be fair he left before we loaned Nkounkou out, and he probably looked at Nkounkou last season not getting a game ahead of even Ben Godfrey and thought, what’s the point staying here. Probably had no faith in the youth coaches at Everton making him a better player at 19 than he currently is at 16.

Livramento left Chelsea because they’ve got Reece James who is going to be their right back for the next 10 years. He made the correct decision leaving there too.
Yeah, he was third choice for the foreseeable future but Chelsea being Chelsea have a very reasonable buy back clause for when they eventually need to bring him home after Azpi leaves. It’s just a very different situation.

Letting Niels go without any actual backup plan still doesn’t make sense.

Well Unsworth did play some of the academy lads when he had his caretaker stints so it does seem that he rates them higher than the managers we have had. That might suggest then it is the first team managers fault for not giving them a shot.

Well Unsworth did play some of the academy lads when he had his caretaker stints so it does seem that he rates them higher than the managers we have had. That might suggest then it is the first team managers fault for not giving them a shot.
And none of them have made it. Which sort of justify all the first team managers who did not play them. I think it is a tough situation. Managers need result and unless you have a talent that is obvious like a Rooney, it's a very big risk. You need a consensus from owner down to fans to say ignore the results, we focus on our youths but you will not find a single Premier League club willing to do it unless desperate. The last time I can remember something like this happening is Man U in the 90s with the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs etc.

Anyway this discussion is best in the youth thread. To stay on topic, I think we need at least 2 to 3 signings in Jan. 1 CB, 1 CM and 1 FB. Alot of focus will be on mentality, determination and leadership.

PSX_20211027_091901.jpg
What's "Alleged No 10" done now

Status
Not open for further replies.