Homepage Update: Everton have only themselves to blame if Romelu Lukaku destabilises the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh O'Collins

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Josh Collins submitted a new blog post

Everton have only themselves to blame if Romelu Lukaku destabilises the club
lukaku2-1024x442.jpg

The recent interview with Romelu Lukaku was billed by the local press to be an impending disaster for Evertonians. On the contrary, upon reading the transcript fans were left with a sense of agreement, as they saw their star man speak with refreshing honesty.

It read like a fan interview for the most part. The Belgian spoke of the proud history and tradition of the club being nice, but simply not enough to keep Everton amid the party of big clubs competing for European places and major honours.

lukaku20.png

He went on to voice his frustration at the lack of high profile signings, citing Belgian teammate Vincent Kompany’s delight at City signing the likes of Robinho as an example of every player’s hunger to be part of a developing and exciting project.

Everton fans, although encouraged by the acquisitions of the likes of Ademola Lookman, Morgan Schneiderlin and Idrissa Gueye, will have felt that the last 2 windows have not delivered as much as was promised. Bolasie and Williams still have much to prove, whilst the loan signing of Enner Valencia on deadline day epitomised an underwhelming summer of spending.

Lukaku also spoke of Everton’s uninspiring recruitment, highlighting the club’s failure to attain their top targets, many of whom are said to be performing well for other Premier League clubs this season. It begs the question, are the board really trying as hard as they say?

lukakuspurs.jpg

It’s a question that neither Lukaku nor Evertonians have found the answer to. When asked about the club’s ambition, he said he “didn’t really know” the boards plan. This statement encapsulates the problem entirely – the Everton board are letting the club down by not making their intentions clear.

Romelu Lukaku is not the first to raise this issue. His manager Ronald Koeman challenged the board in January to deliver a firmer plan of action behind the scenes to take the club forward on the pitch. Lukaku’s words merely echoes those of his manager; they are both showing a winner’s mentality. In an era where Premier League clubs are becoming more and more competitive, Everton must use all their tools to build towards a better future.

koemanlukaku.jpg

The summer is of course when all will be revealed. If Lukaku can be forced to stay, it will only be because of a sudden change of stance from the board. The plan; buy early, buy wisely and most importantly buy big. It will not only send out a message to the likes of Lukaku and Ross Barkley that Everton mean business, but the big clubs will also take note.

barkleylukaku.jpg

Were Lukaku to leave, which does look most likely, Everton will have a vast rebuilding job on their hands. However, they should not let this be an excuse to accept mediocrity for the next season or two. A plan must be in place to use the vast funds from the sale to improve a squad with some genuine potential.

The blues must be very careful and learn from the mistakes made by Spurs and Liverpool when they sold their star men to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively. Spurs were in a healthier position than Everton are now when they sold Gareth Bale, but their recruitment took them backwards when they bought in the likes of Roberto Soldado, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Nacer Chadli and Vlad Chiriches.

lukaku.jpg

Similarly, Liverpool made some disastrous decisions after they sold Luis Suarez. Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Divock Origi were signed for a combined fee of nearly £30mil, much to the disappointment of the Anfield faithful, showing that quantity simply cannot replace quality.

If Lukaku’s departure sends Everton into a downward spiral, it will prove that despite new investment the same old story applies. They seemingly have everything in place to become competitive. A new stadium, a top manager, money for transfers, a director of football. Everything but the basics; The fundamental will to win at all costs.

Lukaku’s words must act as a wake up call for the club; they should be preparing a strong course of action that can be swiftly delivered. Show him we mean business; if he still doesn’t care for it then move him on. Everton are in danger of standing still whilst players like Romelu Lukaku come and go. It is time for Everton to finally stand up and let their actions do the talking.

His best season for the club is one in which we have brought in players to vastly improve the midfield thereby creating more chances for him. A new manager who with his coaching staff would appear to have greatly improved his hold-up play (as previously he couldn't trap a bag of cement) and is taking the club forward, but we didn't sign Carlos K so he has a whinge

Only thing making us look small timeis this ridiculous pandering of some fans to Lukaku and the expectation that the club should do the same. Since when has any one player been bigger than the club? Since when should Rom be dictating transfer policy to Everton just to meet his aspirations for another season or two?

If Lukaku no longer wants to play for Everton he should leave as simple as that and then we should trade well like we try and do with any transfers. This prevailing myth in the media that Everton are Lukaku and 10 others and the fate of the club rests on him is ridiculous. Him airing all of this in the press has achieved exactly nothing. The proper route of escalation should have been Rom having a word with Koeman that he was thinking of leaving, Koeman kicking off internally at the board, then the board negotiating with his agent, if agreement couldn't be reached then he routinely transferred for a good fee. Instead Lukaku has shown himself up as trying to be bigger than the club and now the premier league media are all watching for this so called test of ambition.

They seemingly have everything in place to become competitive. A new stadium, a top manager, money for transfers, a director of football
I agree with most of what you said but, thus far, I've seen little evidence that we really have the substantial funds required to buy early and big. Hope that changes.

He has little intention of staying with EFC - his agent will not allow such a big payday pass by and I really wouldn't be too surprised if we see Rom at United, Zlatan to USA and we welcome Rooney back home. Raiola is a master of manipulation and he controls 2 of the three assets involved plus his relationship with Mourhino is strong.

The timing is particularly poor and really unnecessary as it could quite easily have been left til the end of the season.

The Club is going through a process of change and significant change at that. There was and still is a lot of deadwood that needs clearing and replacements of a much higher and considered quality brought in, plus the youngsters being brought through. Just because money is/may be available to spend, doesn't mean that it all has to be blown in one window - how many player changes can a team effectively handle?

We have had one reasonable window thus far, but Walsh and Koeman really haven't had that long to assess what we have or need, and I for one, would rely more on Walsh & Koeman's choices than the thoughts of a 23 year old player, who at this stage of his career, has had just a single decent season. He talks well and probably too often - oh, an international break is around the corner.

Focus your efforts on the next 10 games, stall your contract till the end of the season and then see if Koeman still wants you or is happy to take the £70 mill and buy players who want to join us on the journey.

Score a few more plus the winner at Analfield, and you can go with my blessing and thanks if you think the grass is greener elsewhere - John Stones will tell you about life after Everton.

Good read that.
It's amazing how fans forget just how badly Spurs spunked the Bale money, and maybe through necessity played Kane an awful lot.
RS did the same with Suarez cash, and have not got anywhere near replacing his quality.

Whether it's a coincidence or not our history is littered with peaks and troughs. The board have never seemed to care enough about building a dynasty... oh well, we'll be fine, we'll find another legend because we've got the money to buy a Dean, a Lawton etc etc..

So.. how come we have to suffer the 4-5-6 year declines to enjoy the 1-2-3 year booms. Here's the proof that we don't build on the 7 year booms.. which are listed below, approximately 6-7 years apart

1906 FA Cup
1915 Title..
1928 Title then relegation
1932-3 Title and FA Cup
1939 Title then decline

1954 Promotion (15 years but less 7 for war cancelling league and cup)
1963 Title
1970 Title - then decline
1977 Glorious failure in 2 cups then decline again
1984-7 Titles etc then decline
1995 FA Cup - then decline
2002 Moyes saves us from the drop and 7th in 2003
2009 Cup Final (lose)
2016 ... we've failed again (nearly won 2 cups)

Whereas other sides have their dynastic moments .. Arsenal, United, RS, Chelsea, now City - even Spurs ffs. We fall by the wayside and are content to sell the assets (Alan Ball anyone?) instead of rebuilding around them.

If Lukaku can be forced to stay, it will only be because of a sudden change of stance from the board. The plan; buy early, buy wisely and most importantly buy big.

I'd say buying wisely is far more important than buying big. Andy Carroll was buying big, Juan Sebastian Veron was buying big, Shevchenko & Torres to Chelsea were buying big. While it is important not to be seen repeatedly missing out on the big targets that you want, saying the d**k swinging contest of going big is of greater importance than buying what you actually need is not the stance I would take.

Were Lukaku to leave, which does look most likely, Everton will have a vast rebuilding job on their hands.

Not sure it does look most likely but then I have no actual idea of what is truly happening behind the scenes. His interview gives only vague statements on attitude and some frustration. Guesswork and speculation based on what looks like scant information is not something I'd base the odds on of Lukaku's staying or leaving. Maybe you know more than me, that would not be difficult:D

Further to that Lukaku's leaving would make it one more forward needed, the rebuilding job is vast either way.

If Lukaku’s departure sends Everton into a downward spiral, it will prove that despite new investment the same old story applies. They seemingly have everything in place to become competitive. A new stadium, a top manager, money for transfers, a director of football. Everything but the basics; The fundamental will to win at all costs.

Same old story? I can't remember the original story of Everton having a new stadium, top manager, DOF and a decent transfer kitty. I can remember Hamperman's glorious new dawn, the Fortress Fund, the Manc in a bedsit and Destination Kirkby but they're all very different stories in my view. There appears to be quite a bit of fume being unleashed over ifs, buts, and maybes that have yet to take place.

Lukaku’s words must act as a wake up call for the club; they should be preparing a strong course of action that can be swiftly delivered.

Last summer's window was a disappointment I'd agree. However, the pursuit and capture of Koeman and Walsh were quietly impressive. Targetting those was quite openly mocked in the football media as being beyond plucky old Everton and as nonsensical sideways moves at best for the two involved. We did good business early on in the January window which is not a great time to be buying. Add to that the new stadium appears to be picking up pace then I'd argue that there is evidence that the disappointing summer window was just one of those things that don't go to plan. It happens everywhere at some time or other, regardless of the sport, business or organisation, especially in such a competitive environment.

The calls of WAKE-UP appear to be made as if those shouting it have some kind of weird Star-Trekky mind-meld with the individuals on the board and can gauge their attitudes, ideas and what they're actual plans are with the utmost authority.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys - I wrote this before Koeman's presser today but think the points are still very relevant. I had an entirely different article i was ready to share, that was before the interview came out last night..!

It's very interesting that Koeman said almost the same stuff about the board's ambition a few weeks ago, but now he is much more defensive about the club's plan.

I personally think that selling Lukaku will show where we are as a club, in particular in how we replace him. The board should have no excuse if they don't improve the squad with the money and planning time they will get given. I personally feel Moshiri will step up, i'm just wary that the rest of the board are more complacent.

I'd also be interested to know who you guys would like to see come in if we sell? If it were me, I'd go big for the likes of Lacazette and Icardi - they obviously want Champions League football but if there is less interest elsewhere and we make a very good offer then they would at least consider. Realistically, I'd love Dembele from Celtic, who at 20 could become potentially even better than Rom

Good article. Rom really does sound like one of us, albeit from the point of view of a very wealthy individual, who has nowhere near the emotional investment in the club as we have.In the end, he, like most players that pass through, is simply a temporarily engaged transient.
As for who is to blame...
Unlike him, we have been suffering the same frustrations with the board for decades! It is no secret that our club's time in the premiership has been grossly underfunded. Part through unforeseen, uncontrollable circumstances, but mostly through either a lack of will, courage and ambition, or more simply to not have the business acumen to work in this multi-billion pound/dollar/euro global "Game of thrones".
This is not 1966, the stakes are much higher now, and in order to play with the rich kids, you have to be willing to spend big, (just saying that, as I feel like some of the board are still living in the days of Alan Ball and his crazy white boots - "Sponsorship? We don't need no sponsorship" re-Blazzing Saddles).
When Rom signed, he was considered an up and coming goal machine, and as things have turned out, that promise was right. So, each successive manager, from Moyes, who first enticed him to Goodison on a loan spell, to Roberto, to Koeman, have each tried to build and adapt a team around him. He, like us, experienced the pain that produced. They did not so much "build" a team around him, as more like "hacked together" the semblance of a support act for him. he may have been promised top class support, if only to keep him at the club.
We can debate until the cows go home as to what exactly happened to the deals that appeared to be floating about last summer. The bottom line is, Rom did not get the names he expected. Was he reading the out of control speculation on GOT? Now, he has basically stated enough is enough. Everton could still rescue the situation, but it will likely cost them a fortune, and so we are back to the age old question, Is the board willing to push the envelope?
"Watch this space".... NOOOOO!!!! That phrase should be added to the inappropriate language filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.