Everton Free School

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan of the concept of Free Schools in general, but if the kids sing "Kopites Are Gobsh***s" instead of hymns during assembly then I'm all for it

init, instead of havin R.E poisoning minds with relgious BS
have an Everton history lesson instead giving all Everton facts.

Everton in the Community truly are a wonderful thing.

Everything you hear about them is so positive.

It really is one of the things that we get right.

Excuse my ignorance but what actually is a Free School?

I think the "Free" bit is a bit misleading. I think they (the schools) are "Free" from Local Authority and Education regs on the the curriculin, (spl, soz), and can pretty much teach what they want. In this case, it seems the basics, then more targeted education on life skills, vocational stuff, the sort of stuff that challenged kids dont get at mainsteam schools.

My lad has been in them and college for ever.

I think the "Free" bit is a bit misleading. I think they (the schools) are "Free" from Local Authority and Education regs on the the curriculin, (spl, soz), and can pretty much teach what they want. In this case, it seems the basics, then more targeted education on life skills, vocational stuff, the sort of stuff that challenged kids dont get at mainsteam schools.

My lad has been in them and college for ever.
It prepares kids for life then. Maybe those who struggled at paper exams but who have other important skills.

I can get behind that.

Excuse my ignorance but what actually is a Free School?
They're designed to suck the life out of LEA's and have politically weaponised education provision.

This feller is their greatest ambassador...

r-TOBY-YOUNG-large570.jpg

...says it all.

You're correct to a point. In all reality, they're not too far from having the same deregulation from local authority and The NC as academies do.

They're also stated funded directly to the school where they then choose who'll do their HR etc. However, Free Schools are much smaller in scope.

Typically they also utilise a more practical curriculum - vocational skills etc mixed in with a more robust pastoral support system for their pupils.

Other Schools can even out-source their pupils to Free School (basically pay the school to have them) to meet their needs rather than expulsion.

From what I've been told, The Everton Free School acts as the middle ground between mainstream education and behavioural schools for 14+.

You're correct to a point. In all reality, they're not too far from having the same deregulation from local authority and The NC as academies do.

They're also stated funded directly to the school where they then choose who'll do their HR etc. However, Free Schools are much smaller in scope.

Typically they also utilise a more practical curriculum - vocational skills etc mixed in with a more robust pastoral support system for their pupils.

Other Schools can even out-source their pupils to Free School (basically pay the school to have them) to meet their needs rather than expulsion.

From what I've been told, The Everton Free School acts as the middle ground between mainstream education and behavioural schools for 14+.

@davek what what say you ?

How not to do it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo.../Bolton-charge-school-600-000-rent-bills.html

Bolton Wanderers charged a doomed school linked to the club close to £600,000 for rent and bills over just two years.

Failing Bolton Wanderers Free School (BWFS), set up in 2014 but due to shut in August, paid the League One club an eyewatering £504,000 of public funds for rent at the Macron Stadium for its first 24 months.

The school, which has just 95 pupils on its books and is based in the East Stand at the 28,700-capacity ground, also handed over a staggering £91,000 to the football club for 'light, heat and water'.

Status
Not open for further replies.