Everton - Founder Members of the Football League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posters on here will know I frequently point out our status as one of the founder members of English football is swept under the carpet. It’s such a magnificent achievement, I have suggested that founder member clubs should have permanent insignia on their shirts to commemorate their status in the game.

With the rotten core that has risen in the last days, the timing could be right for the FA & PL to stop kissing the feet of the ‘Big Six’ and acknowledge the debt owed to clubs like Everton who continue to uphold the values of the game in 2021 just as they did when they were signatories to the birth of our great game so long ago.

They can have their self-acclaimed ‘Big Six’ tag, it’s about time we were recognised as one of the Originals, one of the greats. We should start a campaign.
1888 under one set of laurel leaves
1992 under the other set

As I mentioned the last time you broached the subject @Eggs, one way forward with this could be via the fans forum https://www.evertonfc.com/club/fans-forum
Don't know if any GOT posters are involved with this group or know anybody who is? They really need to get together with official fan groups from the other founding members to at least discuss the possibility of some form of recognition.
As you say this could take the form of a 'mention' on the shirts or possibly the use of exclusive corner flags or something. It is definitely something worth pursuing and would surely find favour with ALL of footballs founder members.
Now seems a very apt moment to remind the world.

....I’ve dropped them an e-Mail, Kev, with a link to this thread. I’ll let you know if they respond.

Reactions: kev
Its certainly something that should be made more of. Obviously its a situation, a badge, that you can't buy or sell so the likes of sky or its scab six will never show a proper interest. Plus it happened before the arbitrary 92 and anything before then is just an inconvenient relic it seems.

As I mentioned the last time you broached the subject @Eggs, one way forward with this could be via the fans forum https://www.evertonfc.com/club/fans-forum
Don't know if any GOT posters are involved with this group or know anybody who is? They really need to get together with official fan groups from the other founding members to at least discuss the possibility of some form of recognition.
As you say this could take the form of a 'mention' on the shirts or possibly the use of exclusive corner flags or something. It is definitely something worth pursuing and would surely find favour with ALL of footballs founder members.
Now seems a very apt moment to remind the world.

....I’ve received a response from Jaz Bal from the Everton Fans Forum;

’Thanks for taking time to e-Mail. I think it’s a brilliant idea & will raise to the club at our next meeting (29th April).’

What other clubs will this impact, great idea BTW.

....sorry, Matey, just picking up on this. My understanding is there were 12 Founding Members of the English Football League in 1888;

Accrington FC
Aston Villa
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Burnley
Derby County
Everton
Notts County
Preston North End
Stoke City
West Bromwich Albion
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Not one of the self-proclaimed ‘Big Six’ were there at the start yet could’ve been responsible for the finish.

The achievement & standing of these 12 clubs should be recognised & celebrated.

Last edited:

....I’ve received a response from Jaz Bal from the Everton Fans Forum;

’Thanks for taking time to e-Mail. I think it’s a brilliant idea & will raise to the club at our next meeting (29th April).’
Brilliant. Well done @Eggs. I hope that he will keep you informed of any developments from their meeting. If so, please keep us informed on here.
It would be great if they can involve the other founder members on this. Some visible recognition of the historical importance is long overdue. ;)

Brilliant. Well done @Eggs. I hope that he will keep you informed of any developments from their meeting. If so, please keep us informed on here.
It would be great if they can involve the other founder members on this. Some visible recognition of the historical importance is long overdue. ;)
I think this is a truly magical idea @Eggs to recognise the reason of why football remains today. Also to remember the vital role all these clubs played in the forming of the Football League. Many of whom have spent many years in the lower divisions striving to exist whilst providing much support for their communities.
I would actually go further and propose hoofing all six of the self gloryfying scabs out of the Premier and have each of these original teams promoted to the Premier. After all, five of these clubs are already in the Premier and all it would mean would be to increase the number of clubs by one. Simples!

Meanwhile, back in the real world.
I have a book written by Peter Lupson entitled 'Thank God For Football'. I mention this as Peter was, or indeed still is, involved with Everton Heritage and has an extensive knowledge of the rich history of of most football clubs, and not just Everton.
I have no idea if this is of significance or not, but his knowledge and close association with Everton, he may just have sway or knowledge of how, or who, could best progress your idea, for as I say, it is TOO good to just let fade away.

I think this is a truly magical idea @Eggs to recognise the reason of why football remains today. Also to remember the vital role all these clubs played in the forming of the Football League. Many of whom have spent many years in the lower divisions striving to exist whilst providing much support for their communities.
I would actually go further and propose hoofing all six of the self gloryfying scabs out of the Premier and have each of these original teams promoted to the Premier. After all, five of these clubs are already in the Premier and all it would mean would be to increase the number of clubs by one. Simples!

Meanwhile, back in the real world.
I have a book written by Peter Lupson entitled 'Thank God For Football'. I mention this as Peter was, or indeed still is, involved with Everton Heritage and has an extensive knowledge of the rich history of of most football clubs, and not just Everton.
I have no idea if this is of significance or not, but his knowledge and close association with Everton, he may just have sway or knowledge of how, or who, could best progress your idea, for as I say, it is TOO good to just let fade away.
Oops! Apologies @kev. I have just posted this to yourself, when in fact it was really intended for @Eggs.

I’ve a great idea. We could get together with some of the best teams from each league around Europe.

We could call it something like the Elite League and have no relegation, and we could decide the rules ourselves as we go along.
Can Spurs come?

Posters on here will know I frequently point out our status as one of the founder members of English football is swept under the carpet. It’s such a magnificent achievement, I have suggested that founder member clubs should have permanent insignia on their shirts to commemorate their status in the game.

With the rotten core that has risen in the last days, the timing could be right for the FA & PL to stop kissing the feet of the ‘Big Six’ and acknowledge the debt owed to clubs like Everton who continue to uphold the values of the game in 2021 just as they did when they were signatories to the birth of our great game so long ago.

They can have their self-acclaimed ‘Big Six’ tag, it’s about time we were recognised as one of the Originals, one of the greats. We should start a campaign.
I love it!! great idea, we should start wearing an old style kit too. ;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.