Everton FC 2015-2016 tactics/system thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

faddy the blue

Player Valuation: £35m
So now that the window is closed and we know who we have and what they can bring to playing 11, I thought I should start a thread to discuss the style of play or the system we need to adopt to be the most effective. Of course the fundamentals are passing out from the back and the tiki taka ideology is still the Martinez's way but which players will make it work and which won't? Should we go with 3 at the back with Jags,Stones and Mori or do we keep the current 4-4-2 which becomes 4-5-1 and vice versa? We haven't got a proper no 10 in so I'm guessing that role is for Barkley still this season. With 4 wide players in our squad we need to know what our tactics are and how to use them to the best effect. Then in the center midfield I feel its time to prepare Besic for big games and to do that he needs to play alongside Mccarthy not Barry who I feel can always come on late 2nd half to calm things down and control the game. Without europe this season I'd like to see a continuity in selection and a fixed style of play at Goodison which should scare teams away given the pace we now have in the side. Considering all things, this would be pretty much my starting 11:

---------------Howard--------------

Coleman--Jags--Stones--Baines

--------Mccarthy---Besic----------

--------------Barkley----------------

Lennon---------------------Mirallas

---------------Lukaku--------------

A 4-3-3 with Barkley lying relatively deep to make those bursting runs. Good pace on the wings and a solid base with Mccarthy and Besic. In my opionion this system should be pretty exciting and seems balanced to me.

Cleverley, when fit to play again, will be a mainstay in the team this season. He's the all-purpose glue that's gonna keep our attacking play together with his neat passing and sound movement. Where he fits in is too early to say - either on the left of the three in a 4231, as a makeshift no. 10 in the middle of said formation, or as a left midfielder in a 433. Finding the best link between a deep-lying Barkley and Lukaku may be Martinez most important tactical challenge this season.

Why did you waste your time typing that out? We all know he'll play Barry as a DM no matter what. We know he'll try and put someone out wide who isn't naturally a wide player. We know he'll always choose Tim Howard. We'll always put every man back for corners but still concede.

Cleverley, when fit to play again, will be a mainstay in the team this season. He's the all-purpose glue that's gonna keep our attacking play together with his neat passing and sound movement. Where he fits in is too early to say - either on the left of the three in a 4231, as a makeshift no. 10 in the middle of said formation, or as a left midfielder in a 433. Finding the best link between a deep-lying Barkley and Lukaku may be Martinez most important tactical challenge this season.

Cleverly is the all purpose glue but do you always need that glue? Him in the side will mean one less winger or no Barkley. In tough away games I believe he can be an asset but I believe if we are to play at a high tempo specially at home them two wide wingers are a must. Also with Barkley, Mirallas, Lennon you get a sense of urgency about moving forward at a good pace which is what Lukaku thrives on.

Why did you waste your time typing that out? We all know he'll play Barry as a DM no matter what. We know he'll try and put someone out wide who isn't naturally a wide player. We know he'll always choose Tim Howard. We'll always put every man back for corners but still concede.

This isn't the Moyes era mate. I believe Bobby is a lot less stubborn and can change. Otherwise he'd be in for severe criticism given his faith in Lennon on deadline day. Although I agree that Barry is becoming a liability given his lack of pace. With the width and pace we have now, teams looking at our squad should get a bit scared of quick moving attacks and I think we need to use that to our advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.