Everton around the world ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza_1973

Player Valuation: £60m
After getting into our first F.A cup semi for 13 years a thought crossed my mind. Its something that has intrigued me for many years - its the question of how is our beloved team perceived across the four corners of the world?

In this age of teams which comprise of every nationality possible we would all like to think this has helped push the name of Everton Fc past our European shores and into totally unexpected regions?

Obviously all of us in this country know we are seen by the media as an unfashionable outfit which occasionally rock the premiership boat, and most fans of other teams grudgingly respect our proud history.

But I would be really interested to hear from evertonians who have traveled/live far and wide and see how this club is seen by the media/public in that/their country - or is the world only interested in media controlled fix of the Sky four.....?

Question : When the semi is shown next month in Sydney, Auckland, New York, Johannesburg, Beijing etc, etc ....
will it be billed as world famous all conquering Man U v Everton(premiership also-ran /team just making the numbers up)?
or will it be world famous all conquering Man U v Everton (premiership household name)???

Enlighten me I would love to know.:D....(hope the truth is not too depressing tho);)

Obviously, Holland isn't that far and wide abroad, but do think the media-status of Everton over here is slightly changing. Never listen to Dutch commentary, (have the option of choosing English commentary) when watching Premiership football in general and Everton in particular. Gets me wound up beyond reason. Only talk about the Sky four and don't know **** about the other teams.

During half time though, there's always Dutch commentary. During half time against Boro last Sunday, they were talking about Moyes, the players and the great history of Everton. Also said that Everton was most probably the team that should be ranked "best of the rest".

Here in Canada and specifically Toronto area, the club has virtually no profile - that despite a coaching agreement with the Ontario Soccer Association (OSA). I think it's a missed opportunity for the club. There a huge facility at the OSA HQ - 11 fields, plus indoor arenas, etc. All the staff ear Everton patches on their sleeves as part of the agreement. Yet most of the kids who are coached there are oblivious as to who we are.

We have a small (but terrific) group of supporters here. The local "soccer pundits", who are abysmally awful, still bleat about Everton being a physical team, high workrate, minimal skill, and frankly we are lumped into the same pot as the Fulhams and Boltons in their eyes.

I've been asked on several occasions why I'm wearing a "Chang shirt" - by people wearing football shirts themselves.

To be fair, we have about the same visibility here as Villa - well below not only the so-called big 4, but also well behind the barcodes and Spurs.

To be fair although every little helps, i dont think many Pompey shirts were shifted on the back of last years win.

Chelsea are a prime example of how a profile can be raised after regular qualifcation.

Its all about the C.L. lads!

To be fair although every little helps, i dont think many Pompey shirts were shifted on the back of last years win.

Chelsea are a prime example of how a profile can be raised after regular qualifcation.

Its all about the C.L. lads!

Exactly right. I'll bet there are even fewer locals here who've heard of Portsmouth than Everton. But get us in the CL, playing Milan or Barca, and that'll change quite quickly - specially when we beat 'em.

Oh dear - the pattern I feared (cue depression setting in) :(
Come on far flung blues - cheer me up :)
Alright on a positive note. Everton made a big impression when we travelled down to Goodison, with members of the Fortuna Sittard supportersclub for the Sunderland game in December. Everyone in that party is still talking about it and looking out for Evertons results. Safe to say Everton has become the favourite foreign team for all of them.;)

Alright on a positive note. Everton made a big impression when we travelled down to Goodison, with members of the Fortuna Sittard supportersclub for the Sunderland game in December. Everyone in that party is still talking about it and looking out for Evertons results. Safe to say Everton has become the favourite foreign team for all of them.;)

Thats better - I'll put the prozac back in the medicine cabinet :p:p

Everybody who's a footie fan in the states seems to like us, they just root for one of the other 4.

Like Dutch Toffee, I watched it with local commentary and I have to say that the German presenters were more than fair to us and our history and knew plenty about what was going on with injuries, previous managers, etc.

As they have done in previous rounds, they were talking about Goodison, how special a ground it is in the middle of housing and what atmosphere it creates, how far back our history goes and how many semi-finals we have been in (and that fact that we have lost more PL games than any other team!).

They were even complimenting the Gwladys St noise and got Sky pictures of Bill Kenwright and Cahill's son correctly identified at the time. They also thought that Fellaini should have had a couple of penalties.

I get the impression that they love the history and tradition and the fact that we haven't got pots of money behind us (got the same idea from the Nürnberg fans as well).

didnt see many shirts in n.z. tbh although they spoke fondly about us playing in christchurch in the 80's, i think it was after we were the leagues centenary champions. there are a massive amount of english there though so a good spread of supporters.
there were a lot in thailand though and i watched our last semi there in a restaurant in koh samui that was owned by a thai blue.

Football is a relative unknown over here in the states still, but most people have at least heard of the big 4 (especially man U and the ****e). The average "soccer" fan would know of the big 4 and maybe heard of a few others (Spurs, newcastle, Fulham). Everton wasn't on many people's radar a few years ago (when I started following).

It is difficult to follow over here since few "non-big4" games are carried on TV, even the pay extra soccer channels. Once a team's stature starts to rise though, their games get carried more and more. Villa and Everton have both benefited over here in the states from more coverage (it is just difficult to be a fan when you can never see a game).

However, after stringing together a few good seasons, our profile is definately rising. An FA cup trophy would be huge in getting our name out. Having a player like Howard on the team REALLY helps too. Far more people know about Fulham than Everton simply because of the Americans that have run through there over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.