Everton around the world - update

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza_1973

Player Valuation: £60m
I posted this thread a while ago :-

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/everton-forum/12928-everton-around-world-5.html

The intial responce I got from all you far flung blues is we don't get much media coverage outside these shores ,but just as a matter of interest after the events of the last month - reaching and sadly losing the final of the most famous cup competion in the footballing world, and our second consecutive top five finish - has our media profile changed ???

Fingers crossed I need cheering up ;);)

It's kind of a bummer that Everton are playing the MLS all-stars...in...Salt Lake City of all places. A trip to the east coast (Boston, NYC, Philly, or Washington) would probably have much more impact on the U.S.' awareness of the club. I have a handful of friends here in the states that follow the Blues with me, but there is no real presence of the Prem at all here, let alone a particular team. I think it's still a ways off. If I could afford the flight to SLC to watch that game, I'd be there. If only it were in Foxborough!

The F.A. Cup always gets big coverage here (I'll go on record and say that Toronto is the most sophisticated Euro-focused football market in North America). Lots of ink about this year's game and especially Everton breaking a 114 year old record, but as expected the majority dealt with Chelsea's "resilience" and composure. And all the pictures featured those hideous yellow uniforms.

Cannot overstate what a win - especially against a nut-huggers favourite like Chelsea - would have done for the profile of Everton.

God damn.

It's kind of a bummer that Everton are playing the MLS all-stars...in...Salt Lake City of all places.

I thought the same thing. With all due respect to the fine folks of Utah - I ain't goin' to SLC. And it would probably be cheaper for me to head to Liverpool than Utah anyway. I figured they'd play at least one more game over here since they made the trip and hoped Toronto might be on the list but it looks like this year's Toronto FC fan-gouge-fest while be against Real Madrid.

Fingers crossed they find their way to NYC or Miami or someplace with cache. That, I could get motivated for.

I thought the same thing. With all due respect to the fine folks of Utah - I ain't goin' to SLC. And it would probably be cheaper for me to head to Liverpool than Utah anyway. I figured they'd play at least one more game over here since they made the trip and hoped Toronto might be on the list but it looks like this year's Toronto FC fan-gouge-fest while be against Real Madrid.

Fingers crossed they find their way to NYC or Miami or someplace with cache. That, I could get motivated for.

Until TFC lay a proper grass pitch we won't see Everton in this city. Though I have heard that for the Real Madrid game they are actually laying turf for that game and then ripping it up. It's all very strange given the links with Everton and the Ontario Soccer Assoc. They'd get a very warm welcome from Evertonians here in Toronto, if they ever decided to turn up. We had 180+ in the pub for the final on Saturday. It was a great sight to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.