Everton are small time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could trace it back to Catterick being replaced not by Clough or Revie but by Bingham then Bingham by Lee.
4 days in March 1971.
Wed 24th lose to Panathinakios on away goals - dodgy reff...tbf, we didn't do ourselves any favours in the first leg...we were poor, even if they did kick lumps off us
Sat 27th lose to the rs in the cup semi - dodgy reff / injury to Labone
Down hill from there...attendances dropped from 40K+ - 50K+ to mid 20Ks
Add in Catterick's health, some dodgy signings, selling Ball.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. etc. Clough, Revie, Robson all rejected or messed up in the negotiations.
Its all in the alternate history thread.

I expect further evidence of how small time we are will be demonstrated at the AGM, it's not even a rollercoaster ride with Everton anymore, just a continuous downwards spiral to anonymity and mediocrity.

Deffo. And Moshiri who I thought would be a game changer isn’t and his hiring in Sam proves are mediocrity

4 days in March 1971.
Wed 24th lose to Panathinakios on away goals - dodgy reff...tbf, we didn't do ourselves any favours in the first leg...we were poor, even if they did kick lumps off us
Sat 27th lose to the rs in the cup semi - dodgy reff / injury to Labone
Down hill from there...attendances dropped from 40K+ - 50K+ to mid 20Ks
Add in Catterick's health, some dodgy signings, selling Ball.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. etc. Clough, Revie, Robson all rejected or messed up in the negotiations.
Its all in the alternate history thread.

Kinell, sounds like a horrible few days that (I’m only 30 so it was before my time).
Simalar to April 2016. Lost 4-0 at Anfield in the Wednesday night where the players just seemed to give up and down tools for Martinez. Then on the Saturday we lost to Utd in the semi final to a last minute goal after blitzing them in the second half. I remember thinking at the time ‘even for Everton this has been a shocker of a week

You could trace it back to Catterick being replaced not by Clough or Revie but by Bingham then Bingham by Lee.
Bang on the money this. People bemoan the fact we haven't won a pot for 23 years. This club has failed to grow and invest for at least 47 years. We even had to scrape signings through our most successful period which although being a fantastic period for the club on the pitch, did nothing to grow the club off it (Heysel didn't help like).

Kinell, sounds like a horrible few days that (I’m only 30 so it was before my time).
Simalar to April 2016. Lost 4-0 at Anfield in the Wednesday night where the players just seemed to give up and down tools for Martinez. Then on the Saturday we lost to Utd in the semi final to a last minute goal after blitzing them in the second half. I remember thinking at the time ‘even for Everton this has been a shocker of a week
It was just a one off wasn't it...mama told me there'd be days like this
47 yrs on with a few odd exceptions, same old same old.

Everton that.

I expect further evidence of how small time we are will be demonstrated at the AGM, it's not even a rollercoaster ride with Everton anymore, just a continuous downwards spiral to anonymity and mediocrity.
On my more down days I call us Leeds in slow motion

Seven trophy winning seasons since the end of World War II ... might be more than many, but doesn't put us in the top rank, does it?

If I see a slide that says one of our ambitions is to "Be a football club" again, it might be the thing that tips me over the edge... the huge one, and Sammy lee had me hanging on for dear life...

Be arsed seeing another slide which says we aim to be basically what we already are... because the beaut CEO cant think of anything else to fill a slide with....

Facts are the money we spent is nowhere near enough to bridge a gap of consecutive seasons of much bigger spending across the teams above us. City alone spent over £400M this summer last under Guardiola. Chelsea have spent around £275M over the same period and Man Utd around £300M and all 3 will have dwarfed us in spending in previous seasons as well.
Given we were bought by a certified chartered accountant none of this should be a surprise.Unless his Russian friend jumps ship from Arsenal and joins him our fate will be (if we are lucky) to be one of the best of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.