Everton and VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dermot Gallagher says Mason was spot on. Imagine my surprise.

Laughable bias.

Is it any wonder the game is gone when you have this inherent bias and hypocritical double standards in the game.
Fair play to the ex RS Warnock who laughed at Gallagher and said something like, if that's a penalty then it's the end for football

Dermot Gallagher says Mason was spot on. Imagine my surprise.

Laughable bias.

Is it any wonder the game is gone when you have this inherent bias and hypocritical double standards in the game.
Mason doesn't even get to make the final decision! Unless you have an on field mope like Madley who lets him do so by default.

Mason doesn't even get to make the final decision! Unless you have an on field mope like Madley who lets him do so by default.

Can't really blame Madley for that tho.

No ref in the league has gone to the monitor yet so they're obviously briefed to let the guy on the VAR make the decision.

I can understand why they don't want the refs going to the monitor every 2 minutes because the delays would be ridiculous. But in my opinion if the VAR has to watch the decision multiple times for an extended period then its obviously not a clear and obvious error and the on field decision should stand.

Can't really blame Madley for that tho.

No ref in the league has gone to the monitor yet so they're obviously briefed to let the guy on the VAR make the decision.

I can understand why they don't want the refs going to the monitor every 2 minutes because the delays would be ridiculous. But in my opinion if the VAR has to watch the decision multiple times for an extended period then its obviously not a clear and obvious error and the on field decision should stand.
1. you identified exactly what the problem is; EPL refs have been instructed to NOT use the sideline booth - that 100% sabotages how VAR is supposed to work
2. refs aren't going to the monitor every 2 minutes anywhere VAR is being used, unless you think EPL refs are completely incompetent and have zero confidence in their own judgment, in which case I'd agree
3. I wish people would stop saying "delays blah blah blah" - there are very, very few VAR reviews that require a sideline booth review, only the big ones. MOST VAR reviews are done & over with in under 30 seconds. And as for the big ones? You're talking maybe 1-2 every 3 or so games. The average VAR review takes 1:22. The average football game only has the ball in play for roughly 60 minutes, which means there are already 30 minutes of wasted, flow-stopping interruptions happening anyway

VAR literally works without issue in every other top flight. Why do EPL fans feel their league is so unique and special?

1. you identified exactly what the problem is; EPL refs have been instructed to NOT use the sideline booth - that 100% sabotages how VAR is supposed to work
2. refs aren't going to the monitor every 2 minutes anywhere VAR is being used, unless you think EPL refs are completely incompetent and have zero confidence in their own judgment, in which case I'd agree
3. I wish people would stop saying "delays blah blah blah" - there are very, very few VAR reviews that require a sideline booth review, only the big ones. MOST VAR reviews are done & over with in under 30 seconds. And as for the big ones? You're talking maybe 1-2 every 3 or so games. The average VAR review takes 1:22. The average football game only has the ball in play for roughly 60 minutes, which means there are already 30 minutes of wasted, flow-stopping interruptions happening anyway

VAR literally works without issue in every other top flight. Why do EPL fans feel their league is so unique and special?

Agree with the majority of your post but that last bit just isn't true.

It's controversial everywhere.

The Germans hate it because they say it literally gives every dubious decision to Bayern Munich

Agree with the majority of your post but that last bit just isn't true.

It's controversial everywhere.

The Germans hate it because they say it literally gives every dubious decision to Bayern Munich
Can't agree with you there, I watch a ton of Bundesliga footy. Works like a seamless dream as intended. I also support Bayern and they don't even have a lot of VAR-reviewed plays

How many teams do you support?? o_O

Easy to see how you wouldn't agree about Bayern getting all the decisions if you 'support' them tho lol
lol fair shout

no but seriously, I watch every match and they just don't have many plays go to VAR. and it's just them and EFC! I have to root for someone who wins so I don't contemplate suicide every weekend

The FA handpick refs for the top 6 teams. They must also handpick the 2nd rate var refs for these matches. The refereeing in this league is corrupt as we end up with 2nd rate referees and 3rd rate var refs.

Under Fifa rules you are correct.

But Mike Riley has advised his PL referees not to use the screens. So I think the issue is that our refs are being advised by one of the very worst ever to officiate in England.
This is what Lineker, Jenas etc said on MOTD, ridiculous that ‘another’ referee in a box somewhere is effectively saying to the onfield ref ‘my opinion is better than yours’. SSN panel highlighted this when looking at the norwich v man u pens. How on earth could the VAR ref give that Daniel James penalty? the onfield ref should have looked at that on a tv somewhere and said to the VAR bloke ‘sorry mate, no way is that a pen’. Bonkers.

Only ever chats wham, him.

He does.

But he's in a tough position to be fair. Can't exactly come on every week and slate the referees and their decisions.

He was on BT Sport first game of the season trying to explain how VAR would work to the panel and completely contradicted himself a few times and got called out over it, was embarassing seeing him squirm trying to justify his explanation of the grey areas

Status
Not open for further replies.