Everton. A Well Marketed Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet

Player Valuation: £10m
Esk and others regularly criticise our PR department and not without reason but I suspect there may well be at least one very well marketed concept relating to Everton, the great war chest. We regularly hear commentators and professionals within the game referring to our spending power. There’s just one thing, thus far, there’s been no sign of it.

I profoundly hope my suspicions are unfounded, and we’ll find out for sure this summer, but what if it’s largely just been a slick marketing campaign with the purpose of helping sell season tickets (worked), land the preferred manager (worked), raise the club’s profile (worked – Sky gave us a whole day), advance the new stadium prospects (worked), land a marquee signing (failed) and get our best players to extend (failed)?

We had headlines that RK was our number one target and would be given a £100m budget. Lying journalists? Perhaps. We’ve put a £100m price tag on Rom according to journalists. I believe we’ve strategically leaked that to establish our initial negotiating position. I think that’s how football works and I think we also leaked the promised RK budget to unsettle him. Mosh claimed we offered 60m for one player last summer. Do you know how many clubs have paid over even £50m? Eight. Ever.

Our official net spend for summer 2016 was -£1.19m. This is misleading because we tried to sign Sissoko on DD for £30m.
Our official net spend for January 2017 was £19.4m. This is also misleading because we tried to sell Del, Niasse and Clev but could only loan.

In a time of massive TV deals the above is hardly suggestive of anything other than a modest budget.
More time? Well it’s over a year and two transfer windows since Mosh’s arrival. It’s hardly jumping the gun to ask questions.
STCC rules? The mega profit sale of Stones afforded us the scope to massively increase wages. It didn’t happen. If Lu goes this summer the same will be true and STCC won’t even be a factor until summer 2018.
We can’t sign players who don’t want to come! True but somewhat misleading. The degree to which a player wants to sign is directly proportional to the size of the wages we offer. I think we did try to get one marquee like Witsel, Carvalho, Mata etc. last summer but ultimately didn’t offer the large wage premium necessary to succeed.

Don’t get me wrong I’m delighted Mosh is here. I don’t question his commitment to the club with his £80m loan and generous waiving of interest, helping to land RK and advance a new exciting stadium project. We’ve clearly benefited greatly. I’m only questioning the marketing of the great leap forward when it may well be we’re really trying to emulate a more gradual and economic model like Spurs. Not a bad template – CL on a budget and a shiny new stadium on the way but if it ultimately works, it’ll take time, a lot of luck and some inspired transfer dealing from SW.

But okay. Some predictions based upon the above theory.
Net spend this summer: Less than £40m if Rom stays and minimal if he goes.
Signings: We’ll sign Cuco Martina. We’ll officially sign Enner Valencia on a permanent in early July. We won’t sign Dolberg, VVD or Koulibaly.
We’ll do better this summer but we’ll still see most of our substantial purchasing activity happening after significant incomings. We’ll struggle to attract foreign based players, due to the demands of high wage premiums, so most of our signings will be domestically based. There’ll be some frustrated souls come September so Esk and others will construct the narrative that an inept BK & Elstone are to blame implying that they received a massive budget from Mosh but were too incompetent to spend it while avoiding the much more simple explanation, the budget was more modest than hoped.

Hope my suspicion is proven unfounded and we see a procession of quality signings with an impressive net investment. Nothing will make me happier than to be vaulted. We’ll see.

Great post pal, hope to god the new dawn is legit or we are well and truly up the swanny

Our problem is our players are not worth what we think. 100m for Rom is silly. 50m for Barkley who has been at times very poor. Too inconsistent to warrant that price. The rest of our squad isn't really worth that much. Coleman maybe before the leg break & Tommy D certainly is walking the path plus Schneiderlein obviously but otherwise it's all fairly average value wise. Teams are not exactly lining up to sign our players at our prices.

The stadium build has changed since it was announced. It's clear the budget has gone up with the demands for a larger capacity & that needs paying for.

If Rom & Ross do leave it then becomes an almost impossible task to convince a higher calibre of player to join our 'project' when we sell our perceived 2 best players. Throw all the money in the world at players but we are not looking like a sexy club to sign for. Spurs do. Spurs could win the title next season then move into thier new ground. We could finish 7th again and again like groundhog day for quite a few seasons at this rate.

As for marketing, we are not called Liverpool. That is the single hardest thing to overcome. The big Manchester clubs are both called Manchester. The Madrid clubs, Barcelona etc all have the City name within the club name. Ask someone who knows nowt about football where Everton is & they will go weh? Everyone's heard of Liverpool though.

The mythical £100 war chest, that was supposed to be available last window, didn't happen. While Moshiri has made an incredible amount of progress with the nuts and bolts; stadium, debt, management side of the club, he hasn't shown us that he is willing to spend any more on new players than the amount received for players sold. In other words, if we don't sell, we don't buy. Same old, same old?

Our problem is our players are not worth what we think. 100m for Rom is silly. 50m for Barkley who has been at times very poor. Too inconsistent to warrant that price. The rest of our squad isn't really worth that much. Coleman maybe before the leg break & Tommy D certainly is walking the path plus Schneiderlein obviously but otherwise it's all fairly average value wise. Teams are not exactly lining up to sign our players at our prices.

The stadium build has changed since it was announced. It's clear the budget has gone up with the demands for a larger capacity & that needs paying for.

If Rom & Ross do leave it then becomes an almost impossible task to convince a higher calibre of player to join our 'project' when we sell our perceived 2 best players. Throw all the money in the world at players but we are not looking like a sexy club to sign for. Spurs do. Spurs could win the title next season then move into thier new ground. We could finish 7th again and again like groundhog day for quite a few seasons at this rate.

As for marketing, we are not called Liverpool. That is the single hardest thing to overcome. The big Manchester clubs are both called Manchester. The Madrid clubs, Barcelona etc all have the City name within the club name. Ask someone who knows nowt about football where Everton is & they will go weh? Everyone's heard of Liverpool though.
Holding firm for a huge fee is going to be a big risk with Barks given his one year remaining. If he does go we certainly won't get within £2.5m of the £50m like with Stones.
We're not an easy sell allright particularly given that players weren't born the last time we had some sustained success but at least we've distinguished ourselves from those outside the top six this season. We should beat them most of the time but I seriously doubt we'll be able to offer the big wages required to lure most of our foreign based targets away from the sunshine.

The mythical £100 war chest, that was supposed to be available last window, didn't happen. While Moshiri has made an incredible amount of progress with the nuts and bolts; stadium, debt, management side of the club, he hasn't shown us that he is willing to spend any more on new players than the amount received for players sold. In other words, if we don't sell, we don't buy. Same old, same old?
BK, when at the Dixies, said Mosh had promised transfer funds. I'm open to see some real evidence of a substantial net budget but the 60m claimed by Mosh himself to have been bid last summer wasn't subsequently spent.

Cant help but feel you have gone early here tiger, but you do make some good points here and there.

Ive spent the last 2 windows believing the hype, the new dawn, monopoly money, we couldnt spend cos of the Euros, Pogba, STCC, I ate all that tosh, who spends money in Jan? We signed Morgs, result, I even believe we meant to loan Clev, Geri, Niasse rather than sell to maintain wages for STCC.

Yep thats me, gullible as they come or rather, that was me, for me there are no more excuses left, its time for the talk to stop, its time to see some action.

As I say, you may have gone early, time will judge you and time will judge Moshiri, who will win, the bed wetters or kool aiders, tune in this summer.

Don't see how our PR department are lambasted when there's a lot of great Everton promotion out there, the ace work in the community and all the nice wee gestures the club do for ordinary people. It's a cheap shot in my opinion.

As for the supposed riches we can only wait and see. Too many of you are hooked on media transfer lies which gets you in a tizz.

In just over a year we've changed manager at huge cost to pay off our ex manager and lure a new one from a rival club. We have had our debt paid off and what looks like a decent plan to move to the waterside in a new stadium.

Only time will tell if it's how it's painted but it's a decent start. While I won't be running round gloating over Moshiri as our owner I won't be too crucial just yet. Kenwright and co got more than a few years without this type of scrutiny.

Don't see how our PR department are lambasted when there's a lot of great Everton promotion out there, the ace work in the community and all the nice wee gestures the club do for ordinary people. It's a cheap shot in my opinion.

As for the supposed riches we can only wait and see. Too many of you are hooked on media transfer lies which gets you in a tizz.

In just over a year we've changed manager at huge cost to pay off our ex manager and lure a new one from a rival club. We have had our debt paid off and what looks like a decent plan to move to the waterside in a new stadium.

Only time will tell if it's how it's painted but it's a decent start. While I won't be running round gloating over Moshiri as our owner I won't be too crucial just yet. Kenwright and co got more than a few years without this type of scrutiny.

That's exactly why Moshiri is getting the criticism so quickly though. We've had years of an egotistical owner investing soundbytes into the club rather than money.

The issue with Moshiri is that he really hasn't done anything yet. The plan for a stadium is only that at this stage - a plan. The debt is paid off but not erased; we owe Moshiri instead. All the while he's made silly cringeworthy statements through Jim White and we're looking to lose star player after star player whilst panic buying to replace as we did in the summer.

So yeah, while I agree with you that we shouldn't be too critical yet and that we should wait until September to know just what type of owner Moshiri is, I can't pretend that I don't understand where people who are sceptical of him are coming from.

That's exactly why Moshiri is getting the criticism so quickly though. We've had years of an egotistical owner investing soundbytes into the club rather than money.

The issue with Moshiri is that he really hasn't done anything yet. The plan for a stadium is only that at this stage - a plan. The debt is paid off but not erased; we owe Moshiri instead. All the while he's made silly cringeworthy statements through Jim White and we're looking to lose star player after star player whilst panic buying to replace as we did in the summer.

So yeah, while I agree with you that we shouldn't be too critical yet and that we should wait until September to know just what type of owner Moshiri is, I can't pretend that I don't understand where people who are sceptical of him are coming from.
Well said. Some of the stuff that has been going on his first year has been straight out of "amateur hour 101" really.
Time for less talk and more action, or he is a BK mark 2.

I'd say Evertonians are naturally pragmatic when it comes to ownership and with reason too. I think it's a little premature to be scrutinising this much barely a year into his ownership and with tangible progress made so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.