Everton 6 Keflavik 2 - 50th anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

John BCN

Player Valuation: £6m
Exactly 50 years ago today my dad first took me to Goodison. As I was only 7 my main memories are of the floodlights, the bright green pitch and Gordon West receiving dog's abuse from the Street End after conceding a calamitous own goal. Fortunately we stormed back and ran out 6-2 winners with a hat-trick from Alan Ball in his white boots.
20200914_171330.jpg

Exactly 50 years ago today my dad first took me to Goodison. As I was only 7 my main memories are of the floodlights, the bright green pitch and Gordon West receiving dog's abuse from the Street End after conceding a calamitous own goal. Fortunately we stormed back and ran out 6-2 winners with a hat-trick from Alan Ball in his white boots.
View attachment 101360
Happy memories mate.

Ah those were the days. Every programme had Plesseys (as above) and Fords Halewood etc. advertising vacancies.
Every factory you walked past had a 'vacancies' board outside. You could quit your job one week and be confident of getting another job the week after. In fact I did exactly that in 1971. I was working for a painter and decorator firm as an apprentice while most of my friends were earning at least four times my wage at various factories. I packed it up on the spur of the moment and had another job lined up before I'd worked my notice. 17 years old and plenty money to spend on drink, girls and watching Everton home and away.
:dance:

View attachment 101360

Went that game with a mate and his dad, we were in the boys pen, one of my first games, we scored six and I was buzzing coming out at the end. Got in the car and mates dad said, well that was a bit rubbish, wasn't it ? Was 10 at that time and thought was it ? I was overjoyed.

View attachment 101360
I thought Bally was going to score about 8 that night the way he was playing. This was followed by a great night in the teeming down rain against Moenchengladback.Pity it ended the way it did against Panathonikist.

Ah those were the days. Every programme had Plesseys (as above) and Fords Halewood etc. advertising vacancies.
Every factory you walked past had a 'vacancies' board outside. You could quit your job one week and be confident of getting another job the week after. In fact I did exactly that in 1971. I was working for a painter and decorator firm as an apprentice while most of my friends were earning at least four times my wage at various factories. I packed it up on the spur of the moment and had another job lined up before I'd worked my notice. 17 years old and plenty money to spend on drink, girls and watching Everton home and away.
Here's the Ford vacancy ad. 11 and six a week. Happy days...

Attachments

• 20200916_165448.jpg
    20200916_165448.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 92

View attachment 101360
Ditto me,my own "debut" was later that season v Panathinaikos!!!

View attachment 101360
A night of shame for the Everton supporters booing Gordon West, really booing him, he moved to the penalty spot to get away from them, an utter disgraceful outburst, never ever forgot that night, even the 6-2 result couldn’t take the stench out of that outburst.

Status
Not open for further replies.