Everton 3 Wimbledon 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wimbledon's coach being set on fire the night before - In the Lower Bullens two hours before kick off. and ending the match in Gwladys St after a couple of pitch invasions - And loads of fella's in the queue threatening to run on and deck Vinne Jones if things went wrong.

The atmosphere that day for me equalled the Bayern Munich game

I was in the main stand as well. I was working at Ratcliffe on Soar and drove up. Quite a few left after we went 2 down. The park end was a building site and all hope seemed lost. God we were lucky we could have been another Sheffield Wednesday..

Is it true Segers took a bung or is that just kopites on the wind up? True that 3rd goal looks dodgy as hell but how was he supposed to know Wimbledon were going to go 2-0 up and we'd need to score 3?

Personally think that Bolton's goal that never was in the 1997/98 season was a bigger slice of luck. Sheer incompetence from the officials cost them the points which were ultimately the difference that kept us up and sent them down. I don't think I could bare to watch football ever again if that were my team.
I hope it’s true it makes it better

For some reason had booked train tickets to come back from University in Hull on that day, and was somewhere past Huddersfield at kick off time. It must have been well in advance because I wouldn't have, had I realised that we were going to need a result to stay up. Anyhow, I had my walkman with radio listening to Radio 5 commentary and the batteries run out, just as we went 0-2 down. Got to Lime Street, convinced we'd gone down. Walk past The Crown and already there's a fair few blues singing and crying. Literally could not believe what I was hearing...3-2, Barry Orrrrrrrrne!! Naturally got on and stayed on the ale with my dirty washing in tow with a load of random fellers. The relief! Goes to show how much we rely on smartphones these days too!!

Is it true Segers took a bung or is that just kopites on the wind up? True that 3rd goal looks dodgy as hell but how was he supposed to know Wimbledon were going to go 2-0 up and we'd need to score 3?

Personally think that Bolton's goal that never was in the 1997/98 season was a bigger slice of luck. Sheer incompetence from the officials cost them the points which were ultimately the difference that kept us up and sent them down. I don't think I could bare to watch football ever again if that were my team.

My mate went to an after dinner party with Cottee as the speaker and he said at the end of the match John Fashanu was absolutely buzzing in the tunnel and high fiving all the Everton players for a job well done. Thought it was strange considering they had been beaten

Was at Wembley, in the posh seats, watching my mate in the FA Vase final. (He lost). Had a transister radio to keep in touch. Was murder.

This and the Coventry game, every minute felt like a hour. It was horrible to say the least. Should never have been in those positions in the first place

My mate went to an after dinner party with Cottee as the speaker and he said at the end of the match John Fashanu was absolutely buzzing in the tunnel and high fiving all the Everton players for a job well done. Thought it was strange considering they had been beaten

Had a mate of a mate who played for Wimbledon shortly after. There were indeed some issues with some stuff Wimbledon did.

Deffo strange isn't it mate. They were always a weird club though, always got the sense a few of those players were basically running it

Cos they were. My mate of a mate played no more than 15 games, and against the top sides, took Vinnie Jones with him to get the oppo to sign a ball for him. Ended up working in LA for Jones.

They story I was told was that the Wimbledon players had placed bets on one of theirs to score, John Scales springs to mind, but not 100%. But could have been BS.

Oh mate I did the same, I waltzed up to Goodison around 12.30pm and didn't think anything of it not getting a ticket. Street end it was just rammed outside and then rumours had it there were a few tickets left Main Stand side. Got that side and nothing

Those house behind the park End, people were knocking on those doors to watch from the bedroom. Me mate said come on let's go home told him to koff and leave me alone and that's where intended up in Stanley park and in a tree.

Even the build up from thinking it would be sound to get in to not getting in to even finding a tree safe enough was stress[/remember all week asking my dad if we could go the match, all week he was adamant” id rather be anywhere else in the world than there on saturday”. Come saturday morning id just finished my match on the old moss lane in litherland and he told me to get a bath and get ready. Said to him where are we going? He replied” where else could we be today. We got ready managed to get hold of one ticket in the main stand and double clicked me in on it. The rest is history. Sounds like a lot had the exact mind set and change of heart he did that day because all week everton were advertising tickets and couldnt give them away. Come 12 o clock on the saturday they were like goldust.

Status
Not open for further replies.