Everton 3-0 Arsenal - 6 April 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrudden

Player Valuation: £40m
Did a quick scan of the forum's first 4 pages to see if this has already been posted. Doesn't seem to have been but apologies if so.

A topic done to death but:

What a performance. What a team Martinez put together.

Team:

Howard
Coleman
Stones
Distin
Baines
Barry
McCarthy
Osman (replaced early by Barkley)
Naismith
Mirrallas
Lukaku

The way we moved the ball, the way we defended in a tight 451, the counter-attacking... for me it's by far the best season and side we've had in recent memory.

No doubt the wheels fell off after this season. No doubt Martinez struggled to adapt to not having his best players always available / in form.

But to suggest that it was anything other than quality management of a quality team in that first season is, for me, pure revisionism.

Watch the video. So little of it resembles Moyes yet so many want to diminish Martinez's achievements by placing the plaudits at the prior manager's feet.

Shows as well what an energetic, defensively minded CM (McCarthy) can bring to a side.

Thoughts?

The wheels fell off right after this game if I remember correctly. Had...Palace(?) after and got spanked.

But this game had me absolutely convinced we were going to break through. I think this may be one of my favorite games as an Everton guy.

Did a quick scan of the forum's first 4 pages to see if this has already been posted. Doesn't seem to have been but apologies if so.

Team:

Howard
Coleman
Stones
Distin
Baines
Barry
McCarthy
Naismith
Mirrallas
Lukaku

The way we moved the ball, the way we defended in a tight 451, the counter-attacking... for me it's by far the best season and side we've had in recent memory.

No doubt the wheels fell off after this season. No doubt Martinez struggled to adapt to not having his best players always available / in form.

But to suggest that it was anything other than quality management of a quality team in that first season is, for me, pure revisionism.

Watch the video. So little of it resembles Moyes yet so many want to diminish Martinez's achievements by placing the plaudits at the prior manager's feet.

Shows as well what an energetic, defensively minded CM (McCarthy) can bring to a side.

Thoughts?

The high point before the decline. We’ve suffered from never replacing key players in this side properly though. We’ve not had a centreback as good as Stones since, Coleman is still our best RB (6 years laters), McCarthy has been the only box to box physical midfielder we’ve had who could live with, and potentially outrun, the top 6 powerhouse midfielders. Richarlison is the only forward we’ve had since who can hold a candle to Lukaku or Mirallas in that season. We haven’t had an attacking midfielder as good as Barkley was that season.

Martinez suffered from basically never having McCarthy fit from this season onwards, Mirallas fell off a cliff form and fitness wise, and he made countless errors not recognising the value of Osman and Pienaar and replacing then with far inferior players until the team had no creativity whatsoever.

The high point before the decline. We’ve suffered from never replacing key players in this side properly though. We’ve not had a centreback as good as Stones since, Coleman is still our best RB (6 years laters), McCarthy has been the only box to box physical midfielder we’ve had who could live with, and potentially outrun, the top 6 powerhouse midfielders. Richarlison is the only forward we’ve had since who can hold a candle to Lukaku or Mirallas in that season. We haven’t had an attacking midfielder as good as Barkley was that season.

Martinez suffered from basically never having McCarthy fit from this season onwards, Mirallas fell off a cliff form and fitness wise, and he made countless errors not recognising the value of Osman and Pienaar and replacing then with far inferior players until the team had no creativity whatsoever.
Think all of this is spot on.

Team:

Howard
Coleman
Stones
Distin
Baines
Barry
McCarthy
Naismith
Mirrallas
Lukaku

Thoughts?

On the first page. Now is a great time to perfect your scanning abilities. :)

Looking at our results after that game, we won only 3 of our last 6, the weekend after at Sunderland, United (that ended Moyes’ time there) and Hull on the last day. Had we beaten Palace and Southampton I’m convinced we would have got Champion’s League

after this game, I remember, I also thought we got the CL spot..

Status
Not open for further replies.