Everton 2004/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
Just seen that it’s James Vaugan’s 30th birthday today :eek:

Where does the time go? Made me think about that good season we had a while back where we got 4th.

Was it a poor team that got lucky? I don’t think so. For me it was down to a great team spirit, galvanised by the (first) departure of Wayne Rooney and the subsequent writing off of us bringing the team together even more - and also likewise for the fans. Precious little boos heard that season, and I was almost ever present.

On the other hand could it be argued that while clearly a team greater than the sum of its parts, there were some experienced players.

Could the current squad (and match goers) take anything from that period?

I'd argue that there was precious little booing as for the first half of the season we were consistently winning matches. There was precious little to boo about. At Christmas, we were 3rd and only 5 or 6 points off top. The 2nd half became a case of grinding it out to the end and hanging on in there. I'd say the only luck we had was getting 4th with such a low points total. 61 would not get you Champions League many other years. Have fond memories of that team, though. Hit on a system which worked and executed it perfectly, particularly before Xmas. Coming off the back of a 17th place finish and replacing the hottest prospect in world football at the time with £450k Marcus Bent, it was entirely unexpected. Sadly, wasn't built upon and the next season started disastrously.

Great season and played like a true team.

We were objectively and statistically lucky in that we had 61 points and -1 GD and still got 4th. That typically gets you 6th/7th which is probably an adequate reflection of how good we actually were.

Before Leicester i think its up there as one on the greatest come from no where stories ever. The season before we had finished the season with a 5-1 whopping by "Old City" at home and finished with the lowest points ever to stay up in the PL. Lost Rooney in the week before the transfer window closed with no time to spend the money and signed Bent and Cahill from the Championship. I remember going into a season feeling stung and had really low expectations. Rooney leaving had shattered the one hope we had and the narrative was he had to to be successful. Morale was at an all time low amongst fans. What happened over the season really was a miracle and defies logic.

I remember Carsley and Graveson being sublime. The latter getting a move to Real Madrid in January. Stubbs and Weir being brilliant and conceding nothing.

Its funny though i seem to remember the defeats rather then individual wins. I remember playing Spurs and Dean Marney scoring two goals to beat us never to be seen in professional football again and i remember the 7-1 defeat to Arsenal in our last game with the team clearly on the lash for the week. Duncs goal against Man U of course.

It really shows not everything is about money.

Good season,wasted summer of opportunity yet again by the board,one up front, Marcus Bent worked that season,but we have persisted with that for fourteen sodding years!!

Getting to the CL with Marcus Bent, Absolute top tier underdog stuff and I will never forgive Collina the corrupt bowling ball head.

Amazing first half of the season and whilst United at home and Liverpool at home were amazing, the stand out games you have to say were Bolton at home and Southampton away.

They absolutely epitomised what that team was about, togetherness, enthusiasm, determination and fight.

In a way, the current England squad remind me of our team then. No real superstars but togetherness which was worth so much more.

That year was the epitomy of our football club.

To actually get the success we needed and then completely bottle it half way through the season!

But that joy at the end of May 2005 was the best feeling since 1995, even though I was a little young too truly appreciate that. Least this time we believed things were on the up for us and those European dream matches were just a few months away.

So typical we get screwed out of it and we sign Marcus bent as our champions league level of player that summer. It would have been embarrassing in hindsight if a certain little Aussie legend didn't sign also

Where does the time go? Made me think about that good season we had a while back where we got 4th.

Was it a poor team that got lucky? I don’t think so. For me it was down to a great team spirit, galvanised by the (first) departure of Wayne Rooney and the subsequent writing off of us bringing the team together even more - and also likewise for the fans. Precious little boos heard that season, and I was almost ever present.

On the other hand could it be argued that while clearly a team greater than the sum of its parts, there were some experienced players.

Bit of all of the above, losing Tommy G at Christmas took the wind out our sails a bit.
It might be said that Leicester did for a whole season what we did for half.

I have always said that above all else Evertonians love a trier! That team gave everything they had that season, hence zero booing. If Silva has them trying their hardest next season the boo’s will vanish, just you watch!

Tommy grav ran the side superbly in the first 6 months, arteta was an incredibly shrewd arrival when he left, Cahill benefited from having a striker who was all about hard work and his movement and desire to get on the end of things took defences by surprise. Duncan was incredibly effective from the bench and won us a lot of points late on in games. Add to that a settled team, well organised, very fit who built up a run of confidence and we took advantage of a league with only 3 teams finding consistency as Benitez clearly didn't understand the prem. It was a fine effort and the wasted summer after should be remembered as yet another of bills crimes against the club

Status
Not open for further replies.