Everton 2 : Leicester 3 19th Dec 2015 : Match Review and MOTM poll

Who was your Man of the Match?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevenger17

Great turn of pace, an eye for goal...
Well, that could have gone better.

I am badly hungover, and the result hasn't helped my delicate situation, so Im inclined to blame it all on Howard and go back to bed. Hey, it's what seems to pass for subtle introspection on GOT these days.

A game that promised many goals duly delivered them into our net. A lot of huff and puff in the first 25 minutes yielded very little by way of actual chances for either team. Kone, playing his way into the hearts of his remaining doubters, had a chance to work Schmeichel, but tried to move the ball on to his equally useless right foot. Lukaku's cross found Barkley who scuffed his first-time attempt wide.

Leicester's breakthrough came in the 27th minute as our younger, fitter Alcaraz needlessly dragged Okazaki down in the box. At least we got to see a penalty at Goodison. Mahrez subsequently buried it, as Everton fans began performing the remarkable mental gymnastics that are often required to blame our goals on Howard.

Everton's response came 4 minutes later as Barkley's two attempts, one saved and one cleared off the line, rebounded to the feet of Lukaku. Juventus' future record signing smashed it into the back of the onion bag as Everton did that making fans believe thing that they often do. 1-1.

On 36 minutes, a truly incredible thing happened. Baines delivered a corner into the box, beating the first man, and it might have been threatening under the right circumstances. In any case, nothing came of it, but it was really good to see. Okazaki shot wide, Howard flapped at a cross, Mahrez almost died but was magically revitalised by some spray. First half over.

The second half was much of the same, a lot of Everton possession, but very little by way of real threat. Leicester had their chances. Vardy shot wide and a dangerous looking ball to Okazaki was cut out by Baines. The turning point occurred in the 64th minute. Chelsea's future record signing was caught snoozing in the box as Vardy latched on to the ball, charged towards goal and was brought down by Tim Howard, to the relief of Tim's less creative detractors. Leicester's gloved biff passed the resulting penalty into the net, and it looked for all the world like Everton had really Evertoned this one up.

A deft bit of hand control by Albrighton allowed Vardy to play Okazaki through, who added to this Everton team's rich history of gash players slotting against them. 3-1. Martinez made changes after 70 minutes, our great Belgian hope Mirallas replacing the ineffective Kone and Deulofeu making way for rare Pokemon, Aaron Lennon. Barkley teed up Mirallas with a backheel, but the goal came too little too late. A training ground free kick by Everton and a late save from Howard against Ulloa brought the curtain down on Everton's ritual disappointment and the Martinez Out brigade started their vocal warm ups. 3-2 to Leicester.

Who was you man of the match guys? Mine was Kone.

Thought Cleverley had things ticking along nicely in the first half. He can really keep the pressure on the opposition with his passing. Far more accomplished in the middle than the left. Felt like the rest of the team his level dropped in the second half.

Barkley was excellent, even though some of the things he was trying didn't come off.

Just edges Lukaku and Barry, whose experience got us out of trouble a few times today. This one-touch passing is fine as long as we are level or in front, but it seems that when we go down the accuracy goes out of the window and some players stop showing for the ball.

Be nice to see Baines and Coleman overlapping again, but they just seem to turn back and play it inside or up the line to a forward who is already covered. Not that impressed with any of the defence today to be honest.

Barry played ok...that's as much enthusiasm as I can muster...and that was typed between clenched fingers

Another weekend ruined...bah!

I feel like we got mugged.
I have no problem losing if we get outplayed and over run, but despite them being top, Leicester did not strike me as being anything special.
Their centre backs were big and strong, Kante worked tirelessly and would walk into just about any team on today's form, and in ?Schmeichel they have a keeper who knows how to command his area.
I found Palace a better team to watch, Leicester did not set the pulse racing.
Leicester came to take home the point they came with, and mugged us for three points.

Status
Not open for further replies.