Everton 2-1 Sporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicoazul

Poster Valuation: #1
First off, got to mention the kick off time for this game, you bad tits.

The emotional rollercoaster month continues, although that term could be applicable to Everton as a whole, with the visit of Benfica's much prettier brother next Tuesday. I say prettier because I've always much preferred Sporting due to a couple of Portugese lads I played footie with, beards ago. Benfica were like someone else who wore red shirts we knew and full of self importance and the Sporting boys were astute (not like us then) and levelled when talking soccer talk, or mainly musing over how boss Figo & Rui Costa (which they reluctantly agreed with) were back in the day.
My lasting memory was of the Spanish lad, who had quite excellent hair but was a smug little get taunting them every week in their Iberian tongues and who took it too far that one of Sporting lads dumped in his sports car on the back seat as retribution and naturally kept schtum. We then watched great hair complain to a passing local guardia civil a bit too much which caused not an arrest but for the no [Poor language removed] taking (pun intended) local policeman to slap him, mid rant, full on in the face.

Let's be honest, it says a lot of the quality of the group stages that were still in this tournament and in the time post AEK (BATE was a dead rubber) we have started to look like a side who may get a couple of more games out of this tournament before the inevitable unlucky exit at some point.
But this game is a tough one as Sporting have quality and similar to us had a torrid start to the season before finding some form. As a veritable Riquelme-lite, we were seemingly after Moutinho for quite some time, according to the media anyway, so most of us are clued up about his talents thanks to scouting international youtube or for the more nerdy types: Champ Manager. There are also considerable other talents in Miguel Veloso and Liedson so you'd ideally want to be returning to Lisbon with a win and a clean sheet. Sotnas, a superb poster on here, will provide more info if you ask him nicely.

With no weekend game we have some breathing space before Tuesday game, as for the team that will start it would be a decent wager to presume the same as against Chelsea but with perhaps Pienaar replacing Bily. With absence of orthodox defensive players in that midfield, which had a few of us sweating pre Chelsea game, it will take another committed performance but it can play a bit. Apart form the obvious mentions of Saha and Donovan, it was the defence that impressed against Chelsea as the outstanding Heitinga teamed up well with Distin, unfortunately Atletico are still in the competition so it's likely we'll move onto our 26th CB pairing of the season in Distin and Senderos.

Under the floodlights (second half, anyway) against decent opposition at Goodison makes the pulse race. All we need is for the right Everton to turn up. Hamburg would be nice.

Last edited:
Keep up our form (derby aside) and I can see us going through.

They're good, and they have some good players, but they're no Benfica. We've faced worse. They're definitely no Chelsea.

There is one problem Heitinga is not available for the 2 games agaisnt Sporting. So it'll probably be

Howard
Nev Senderos Distin Baines
LD Arteta Osman Pienaar
Cahill
Saha

although I would like to see these midfield

LD Arteta Pienaar Bily

with Osman and Rodwell as late substitutes.

I'm guessing it'll be:

Howard
Neville Senderos Distin Baines
Donovan Arteta Osman Pienaar
Cahill
Saha

Rodwell, Gosling, Billy, Coleman on bench, perhaps Rodwell for Arteta again, and maybe Bily for Osman depending on how well they get on during the match.

To carry on the good tradition, i reckon we will be too full of confidence here so they will sit tight and stiffle us only to nick 2 goals on the counter.

0-2 Sporty Worty Lisbon.

That Chelski preformance has raised some more good hopes...so probably a loss then!

Nah, 2-0 Everton, so long as we keep a clean sheet.

I'm sick of being negative, I was negative against the redsh1te and look what happened there.
Henceforth, a super positive 1-1 :D

Sporting have been in awfull form .a 5-1 mawling from Porto followed by a 4-1 drumming at home by rivals Benfica ,5 th in the league ,saying that they have some quality in the side.But if we get into them and get an early goal a tonking is on the cards .

Theyv been pretty poor in a poor league. Lost last time out at home to academica 1-2 interesting to see there playing on friday night plenty of rest for goodison, not as much as us mind. After getting the Chelski game right im on a roll Everton 3-0 Sporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.