Everton 1983-87,the glory years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southampton away in the 84-85 season was an important win that never gets mentioned but was one of those important ground out results. Richardson scored both our goals and Nev saved a penalty for a 2-1 win. I was nine and went with family friends in the home stand. I was decked out in my de rigeur bobble hat and scarf. The home fans indulged me, but I wouldn’t get away with it now!

I think Villa had about 12/13 thousand at their previous home game,I think the gate was around 32000 that day, we don't have to be Einstein to work out we had a huge following that day!!
~The ground looked 75% swathes of blue Dario, awesome. I was in my late teens at the time and thought it would always be this way so never really appreciated it as much as I should at the time.

Leicester away March 1985,one of my faves, we weren't at our best that particular day, but what determination we had,Andy Gray,nearly knocking himself out against the postlolThere's loads keep springing to my mind, go ahead!!

Me and my mates were in the Turnstile pub next to Filbert Street at 10.30 in the morning (via the back door). By 12.30 the pub was full of Everton. By 2.30 we were well bladdered. The game was a bit of a blur after that!

Gillingham 1st replay, a couple of minutes left of the 90 and the Gills on the attack,one of their players caught the ball on the volley as sweet as possible,away end fans with heads in hands and shouts of FFS,the ball heading into the top corner,Neville dives,will he get a finger tip to it? NAHHHH he caught it one handed and we survived to fight another day and another trip to the Medway monsters,day of the match I had headed into town to buy a push chair but ended up on the train down south,got to Gillingham and a reception from a few Hammers fans who soon got chased off,half time appeals for the refreshment kiosk taking to be returned fell on deaf ears and an annoucement of the local church roof blowing off met with shouts of " oh wheres your famous god" the match ended with Howies army still on the march

Jim Arnold in goal that day wasn't he?
An old git but played a blinder and the following season some erk by the name of Southall got a game. How did he do, I wonder.
Went to old Trafford for that game and seem to remember Jim Arnold getting injured after a foul on him and the referee adding on loads of injury time which of course was when United scored

I think what made that period so great was you could not really see it coming ,Howard was under enormous pressure and I really didn't see him lasting much longer as manager, we had so many low points, 0-0 draw at home to coventry City in front of a tiny crowd,big defeats against our neighbours, a big defeat against wolves away who were bottom of the league,and then an away game against Oxford United in the league cup who I think we're 3rd division at the time, we managed to scrape a draw against them and the rest is history

February 86 vs Spurs at home Peter Reid had been out injured for a while .It was a really close game then Reid with about 10 mins left one on one with goalie takes it round him slots at the park end .But I don't know if my minds playing tricks with me because I can remember Reid giving the ball to their winger John chedozie him rounding the the goalie to equalize and missing but am sure that was the park end as well .Anyway great game and result for a great team

My memory of that was that Reidy (coming back from his long lay off as you said)smashed in a late close range volley of the underside of the bar (street end),then,yes,he nearly gave it away by giving it straight to Chiedozie who went round Southall and missed. Talking of Peter Reid goals,the one against West Ham in the 87 title run in,he must have been 30 yards out,it screamed in! Think we were 4-0 up after half an hour,and that's how it finished.

Man Utd away, I think it was Dec 83, we were pretty poor at the time and everyone thought we were going there to make the numbers up, Sheedy smashed one in off the underside of the bar to give us a one nil win, we outplayed them that day, that's when people started thinking we might have something here, the 2 sections of the scoreboard end we occupied went absolutely mental. about 4 weeks later came the infamous Coventry home game on New years eve, then the FA Cup 3rd
round at Stoke closely followed by the Kevin Brock Oxford game, the rest as they say is history

Would love to see that goal again,always remember that BBC and ITV news always showed a little bit of action(just a minute or two) from one of the days games and I always remember seeing Sheed's goal on the news that night.I think United were 2nd and we were probably in the bottom 5 or 6 going into that game.

Would love to see that goal again,always remember that BBC and ITV news always showed a little bit of action(just a minute or two) from one of the days games and I always remember seeing Sheed's goal on the news that night.I think United were 2nd and we were probably in the bottom 5 or 6 going into that game.
ive looked everywhere for it, never found it

My memory of that was that Reidy (coming back from his long lay off as you said)smashed in a late close range volley of the underside of the bar (street end),then,yes,he nearly gave it away by giving it straight to Chiedozie who went round Southall and missed. Talking of Peter Reid goals,the one against West Ham in the 87 title run in,he must have been 30 yards out,it screamed in! Think we were 4-0 up after half an hour,and that's how it finished.
Yes you're right about Reid's goal against Spurs, I was in the front bit of the street end. @wba83 had me doubting my memory, increasingly frequent at my age :)

Status
Not open for further replies.