Everton 1983-87,the glory years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon there's a good few people on here around my age or even olderlol, go on what are your favourite not so 'forgotten" or games not mentioned as much as the obvious(Bayern,Watford,Southampton,Rapid etc),Leicester away March 1985,one of my faves, we weren't at our best that particular day, but what determination we had,Andy Gray,nearly knocking himself out against the postlolThere's loads keep springing to my mind, go ahead!!

For me it is a game in March 1983.....the season before the good times rolled.

We went to Old Trafford in the Cup quarter final as no hopers.....but our young team, containing the nucleus of Howard’s great team played very well and would have earned a replay but fir a kate Stapleton gial.

But everyone at the game that day knew we were witnessing the start of sommat.

Has to be the 1984 FA Cup final. At the time it was the only English game shown on TV over here and it was my first time seeing the Blues play, five months after my Everton-loving grandfather passed away.

Man Utd away in the FA cup in 1983. We lost to a late goal but played really well with a young team - I think that was when we saw the first signs of what was to come, although there were a few more bumps in the road on the way.

I have just posted the exact same sentiment :)

February 86 vs Spurs at home Peter Reid had been out injured for a while .It was a really close game then Reid with about 10 mins left one on one with goalie takes it round him slots at the park end .But I don't know if my minds playing tricks with me because I can remember Reid giving the ball to their winger John chedozie him rounding the the goalie to equalize and missing but am sure that was the park end as well .Anyway great game and result for a great team

...not so much a favourite but certainly a forgotten was the first round of the European Cup Winners Cup against University College Dublin (UCD). Staggering that we nearly went out in the first round to a team of amateurs but continued in the competition to win our only European title.
yes sure they missed a chance near the end, and it was a memorable ferry back after the first leg

The game v Sunderland for some reason sticks out with me. Mountfield tackles lays off to Reid who tears, TEARS up the wing to deliver a cross which arrives on the edge of the 6-yard box about 1' off the ground to meet Andy Gray's horizontal diving bod.

Dodgy memory perhaps, but I remember at the time that being the best goal I'm ever likely to see, just for the fluidity and speed of movement, interpassing and bravery of the header.

Also missing Steven's wonder strike at the Dell because I was behind the goal post and didn't see who struck the ball.

For me it is a game in March 1983.....the season before the good times rolled.

We went to Old Trafford in the Cup quarter final as no hopers.....but our young team, containing the nucleus of Howard’s great team played very well and would have earned a replay but fir a kate Stapleton gial.

But everyone at the game that day knew we were witnessing the start of sommat.
Jim Arnold in goal that day wasn't he?
An old git but played a blinder and the following season some erk by the name of Southall got a game. How did he do, I wonder.

Man Utd away, I think it was Dec 83, we were pretty poor at the time and everyone thought we were going there to make the numbers up, Sheedy smashed one in off the underside of the bar to give us a one nil win, we outplayed them that day, that's when people started thinking we might have something here, the 2 sections of the scoreboard end we occupied went absolutely mental. about 4 weeks later came the infamous Coventry home game on New years eve, then the FA Cup 3rd
round at Stoke closely followed by the Kevin Brock Oxford game, the rest as they say is history

The game that kick started it all, we lose, Kendall is sacked, we're one down and on 4:20 on this clip Inchy scores an one of the most important goals in Everton's history.

I was at this game, pelted with coins from oxford nob eds, even though we were a bit crap until after this game our support was amazing, packed behind the goal which went mental after inchy scored the equaliser.

Status
Not open for further replies.