Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the media would say if we have a really good set of results in the next 4 matches and passed by the heroes of current media, their favourites Sheffield Utd?

I wonder what the media would say if we have a really good set of results in the next 4 matches and passed by the heroes of current media, their favourites Sheffield Utd?
I suspect they would be a bit flummoxed because a team who has ‘played great this season’ would be a team who were, admittedly, atrocious until December.

It’s testament to how rubbish the league is this year when we’re actually contending for Europe. Credit to Sheffield United though: they’ve done well!

As we have no game this weekend, there are a couple of matches to keep an eye on
Wolves v Leicester - could do with Leicester getting something here
Chelsea v United
Depending on your outlook of Europe - my personal opinion is we wont finish 4th, so a Chelsea victory is important to us here
If Newcastle could snatch a draw at Arsenal as well that would be a good weekend

Here's the fixtures of the teams most likely to be vying for 6/7th, i.e. Man U, Wolves, Sheff U, Arsenal. I've left out Spurs as I think they'll most likely finish 5th. I've given my predictions for their points tallies based on their fixtures. Looks like they all play Leicester, Spurs and us from the top half of the table, as well as playing each other so potential for slip-ups.

Arsenal - Newcastle(h), Everton(h), WHU(h), Brighton(a), Saints(a), Norwich(h), Wolves(a), Leicester(h), Spurs(a), Liverpool(h), Villa(a), Watford(h) - 18pts +31
Man U - Chelsea(a), Watford(h), Everton(a), Man C(h), Spurs(a), Sheff U(h), Brighton(a), Bournemouth(h), Villa(a), Saints(h), Palace(a), WHU(h), Leicester(a) - 22pts + 35
Sheff U - Brighton(h), Norwich(h), Newcastle(a), Man U(a), Spurs(h), Burnley(a), Wolves(h), Chelsea(h), Leicester(a), Everton(h), Saints(a) - 21pts +39
Wolves - Leicester(h), Norwich(h), Spurs(a), Brighton(h), WHU(a), Bournemouth(h), Villa(a), Arsenal(h), Sheff U(a), Everton(h), Burnley(a), Palace(h), Chelsea(a) - 23pts + 35

The Bloos - Arsenal(a), Man U(h), Chelsea(a), RS(h), Norwich(a), Leicester(h), Spurs(a), Saints(h), Wolves(a), Villa(h), Sheff U(a), Bournemouth(h) - 22 pts + 35

Final positions
6th Sheff U - 60 pts
7th Wolves - 58 pts
8th Man U - 57 pts
9th Everton - 57 pts
10th Arsenal - 49 pts

Hopefully I'm very wrong and the other teams fail to pick up points, whilst we smash everyone in sight finishing in 4th.

Weve got to be qualifying for Europe regularly and being competitive in the knockout stages. Once we are in the rhythm we will have built a squad good enough to rotate to cope with the pressure. We can build on that and go for champions league.

And that is what it boils down too. I never get it when fans say they don't want it. Not just talking here by the way, but in general. I think sometimes the indifference is in small part because of some faux snobbery to Europa league, but that's crazy, it's a great competition certainly in the latter stages, and it's another chance at winning a trophy.

You have to get on that train. And once you are on, stay on! No place better to start than in Europa league and go from there. Guaranteed Ancelotti wants it, its the business he knows, competing in Europe every season, he'll cope with it, and he'll get the squad to cope with it. That's his job. And it'll help the stature of the club immensely. Players want European competition, sponsors want it. I think most fans want it too. European competition is a lot of fun after all, getting to play different teams, and for those who travel away, getting to sample different places and footballing cultures.

it's a 10-12 point handicap in the league season & only 3 PL teams have managed to finish top 4 while competing the Europa league from the start.

Carlo needs time & IMHO would benefit next season from the cadence of one game per week, preparing the players and focusing 3 points only. If Carlo maintains the trajectory with some new signings, top 4 could be possible next season, but the Europa league effectively rules that or a decent cup run out.

In the Europa next season could be unhelpful whilst it generates income and attention we would have to start very early playing no mark teams based on the moon.That means a lot of extra games so not sure if I want in right away. But clearly Carlo does.

I suspect most of the replies about not wanting Europe are actually not about whether it will effect our results, but about preempting disappointment with "well, we didn't want to be there anyway! Yeah, that's it!"

Europa League is terrific fun, main reason I'd like to be in it. The manager is excellent and usually does best in cups too. Will raise the club's profile and help in attracting players - instead of having to offer bigger money.

There is no scenario possible that could ever make me not want to be in Europe. I always want to be in it and i am praying that we have a good run in and qualify again. There is nothing like European nights and it makes the season all that bit special for me regardless of how far we get in it or how it effects us in the league.

Everyone here saying they don't want Everton in the Europa League obviously haven't followed Everton away in Europe.

It is boss and completely worth it, so get back in your armchairs and pipe down.

Up the travelling Toffees!

Status
Not open for further replies.