Europa League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know mate, but it's just crap. Also, is the Europa League a big revenue generator? One of the 'moans' I used to hear a lot was that clubs ended up at a financial loss by being in the competition, even if they did well in it.

The likes of Arsenal, United, Lpool, Spurs, Chelsea who have all dipped into it in recent years will make losses being in it because they're not getting CL money, for us and the teams around us like Wolves it will always generate extra income through prize money and matchday revenue, but you're probably looking at 4x less what you'd get for being in the Champions League

I dont think that its the case at all that 7th places misses out if an english club wins both CL and Europa. That wouldnt make any sense unless one of the teams is outside of the top 7. In that case yes, the 4th place team gets drop to Europa, but 4 teams still go to CL(CL and Europa winner, plus top 2 teams on the table), 3 teams still get dropped to Europa, 4th, EFL cup and FA cup.

So as far as I know its fine if an english team wins CL and EL, just so long as they are in the top 7. 7 english teams go to Europe, its just like if a non-top 7 won the FA cup.

Correct.

One thing to note is, hypothetically, if Man Utd or Wolves were to finish 5 or 6th and win the Europa League, and we were to finish 7th, we wouldn't take their place and would still have to qualify to get in.

If we finish 7th and qualify, the first match in qualification for the Group Stage would be 7/23.

Copa America groups end 7/1 so even if our South American players that go to that tournament go out they will not be available immediately. Euro groups end 6/24 so any players exiting at that point will make it back but most likely not be fit. Any who move on won't be available. Also it is very likely transfers will be held up by the tournaments meaning incomings will be minimal to that point.

All this to say that qualifying could end up being a real problem if we are sending Stek out in nets with a backline of backups and who knows what in midfield and up top. It adds 6 extra fixtures before anything really gets going to. It'll present a real challenge to the whole club.

In the words of a man that has masterminded this already....

“But OK”

I dont think that its the case at all that 7th places misses out if an english club wins both CL and Europa. That wouldnt make any sense unless one of the teams is outside of the top 7. In that case yes, the 4th place team gets drop to Europa, but 4 teams still go to CL(CL and Europa winner, plus top 2 teams on the table), 3 teams still get dropped to Europa, 4th, EFL cup and FA cup.

So as far as I know its fine if an english team wins CL and EL, just so long as they are in the top 7. 7 english teams go to Europe, its just like if a non-top 7 won the FA cup.
If English teams win the EL and the Cl and either one of them are not in top 4 then 4th place goes to EL
Max of 4 in CL
That was all cleared up when the RS won the CL in Istanbul
7 places in europe regardless

If English teams win the EL and the Cl and either one of them are not in top 4 then 4th place goes to EL
Max of 4 in CL
That was all cleared up when the RS won the CL in Istanbul
7 places in europe regardless

Wrong.

They changed it.

Now if the winner of the EL has not qualified for the CL via the league, they go straight into the CL group stage, but are not seeded.

See Man Utd 2017, Sevilla 2016.

I believe if both won, but hadn't qualified, then, and only then would 4th place lose their CL place. But i hardly envisage both of those happening in the same season, infact it's only happened three times in 25 years where the CL winner hasn't qualified for the CL . Real Madrid in 2000, and Zaragoza missed out (and went into administration as a result), and in 2005, when Liverpool won it (which they then allowed us in), then when Chelsea won in 2012, Tottenham had finished 4th. That's when they changed the law.

I know mate, but it's just crap. Also, is the Europa League a big revenue generator? One of the 'moans' I used to hear a lot was that clubs ended up at a financial loss by being in the competition, even if they did well in it.

We turned over an extra 10 million last time we were in Europe, and, if we got as far in the competiton as we did then, it'd be a fair amount more than that now. We're in no position to turn up our noses at that sort of cash.

Ancelotti adapts to what he has. It's no longer a worry about whether the manager has what he needs to compete and we has no chance is conditions aren't perfect. He'll do what need to be done if we make the Europa to be competitive in both that and the league. Let's get more games, more exposure, and more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.