Europa League do we want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What league placing gets you into the Europa league this season ?

Assuming that City are banned next season and either Man U , Leicester , Chelsea or City ( all of whom should be in the top 6 ) win ithe FA Cup does the qualification go down to 8th place ?

So that would be top 5 ( minus City as they are banned ) CL
6-8 - Europa

Cup Winners already qualified or banned.

If that assumption is correct I think we have a fighting chance of making 8th place.

Based on the remaining fixtures here's my prediction for the top half of the table

RS
City
Chelsea 69
Leicester 67
Man U 66
Wolves 62
Spurs 58
Everton 54
Arsenal 52
Sheff U 52
Palace 48.

This may be an optimistic prediction from an Everton point of view and assumes that we beat Leicester , lose to Spurs and draw at Wolves and Sheff U.

I didn't bother with the points predictions for the RS and City .
It’s hard to guess with no fans, they add Urgency and adrenaline to players, the games a lot more tactical then passion.

Personally I have little interest in European football, but obviously I want Everton to achieve the best they can. European qualification will help generate funds, get our club noticed more by a wider audience, and hopefully make us a more attractive option for better quality players. So I guess it's a 'thumbs up' from me.

Its just so many games and it starts so early, you need a massive squad to stand a chance. I do want to be in europe, but I think if we are in it we may struggle in the league

I think I've said this a few times, but I think the Europa league will be better when the format changes in 21/22 season. Premier League will then get 2 places with 1 place in the Europa Conference. For the Europa league, Premier league teams won't have to qualify, straight to group stages and the group winners go into the last 16. The teams in second place in the groups play off with the champions league 3rd placed teams to go into the last 16.

I think this will be better becuase in the past we have had 2 rounds of qualifying before the group stage and then the groups and last 32 knock out, this trims 4 games off that, potentially 6, if you win the group.

One thing I don't know is, who goes in the Europa conference, I would presume league Cup winner, but it might be FA Cup winner / 7th place if all cup winners are in the top 5

Sure, if we are unable to add to our thin squad we can just throw the u23 team out there for all I care, but achieving Europe has no downside for me.

Swerve unless its via us winning a pot in high-definition for the first time ever.

CBA with a midweek trip to Inter Baku for the 17th round of qualifiers three days before we face a fired-up promoted side away on the opening weekend.

Achieving it would require us doing something unexpected, beating teams better than us and not falling at the last hurdle. Unfortunately Everton haven’t shown much of that over the past few years.

I want it, doubt we will get it though. Europe is great, not sure why you wouldn't want to be in it really.

The question should be do the players want it
With the win over Norwich we still have a chance of getting in to the Europa league but do we want to?

Yes the extra money alright and it raises the profile of the club

However we have a paper thin squad and there taking about starting next season at the end of September and finishing in May as normal.
Which means fitting 38 games in to 32 weeks, plus Fa cup and League cup. Then you add in the Europa league and that’s at least another 10-15 games(if we do well)
Something like 50 odd games in 32 weeks.
I think we be better out of Europe and used the congestion of other clubs to get ourselves in to the top 4/6
I want it, doubt we will get it though. Europe is great, not sure why you wouldn't want to be in it really.
I want it but these players just arnt up to it.

We have an outstanding European artist as a manager and we want to deny him a canvas? We need to keep the man invested. We should want it for that reason amongst other reasons. Yes, it’ll stretch us because of the contracted season but that’s pretty much the same for most clubs from other leagues.

And we have a manager who knows his way around European competitions.

I’d back us to do well and raise our profile.

My old man always against it, says if you're not in the Champions League then don't bother with Europe as it's just a hindrance. Has a team ever had a strong league finish during a season of playing in the Europa League? Not sure. I quite like it though either way, European nights are class and if you go the whole way there's a big reward.

Chelsea played many games to get to the final last season and still finished Third in the P/L
IMO, the Europa League is now more important than ever cos it will help to try and get back some of the extra £millions that all clubs need?
There is of course also the fact that, any team that wins it, that will get you into the big money Champions League quicker and then with the extra money, better players will start thinking about joining clubs who they had not thought of ever joining?
Gotta be in it to win it.

Europa League qualification I just see as a consequence of finishing high in the table. The competition itself I don't give a toss about as you have a minor chance of winning it and the effort put in doesn't match the reward.

That said, there's nothing stopping the club fielding reserves if we qualified for it. Which is what we should actually do, as the league is the bread and butter and we have no squad depth.

That said, we won't qualify - too much ground to make up and too inconsistent; would take a mad run of results.

Status
Not open for further replies.